“Such a nice surprise!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Built in 1883, The Dolan House is nestled in the beautiful Rio Bonito Valley in the famous town of Lincoln, New Mexico - brought to fame by the Lincoln County War and Billy the Kid, who roamed the surrounding area and broke out of the near by jail. In 2007 we purchased and renovated this historical house making a small restaurant serving home made American and Mexican food and lots of home made desserts. We also have a gift shop selling antiques, jewelry, leather goods, souvenirs, specialty teas and snacks. We are open for breakfast and lunch.
“Such a nice surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Visiting Lincoln to see where Billy The Kid broke out of jail, I was expecting to find lunch of the microwaved-frozen food variety. I was not expecting this charming little lunch spot. We were warmly welcomed and shown today's menu options. We chose the chicken and green chile burrito, out of the four or five options. It was wonderful! Flavorful with a nice amount of spice. A very nice experience.

Lubbock, Texas
“Great food, friendly service in a historic building”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

I just had lunch here this afternoon, and I highly recommend it!
My husband had chicken sandwich, which was wonderful; the grapes were a nice surprise! I tried it too, and we both liked it very much.
I had chicken and dumplings -- YUMMY! HUGE real dumplings (not boiled biscuits or gooey noodles) that were fluffy inside. Hidden under the dumplings was lots of big chunks of chicken, along with large carrots. I savored every bite!
I don't know what the reviewer below me ate, I didn't see tuna on the menu. Maybe they don't understand AMERICAN food?
We had ice tea, and even commented on the rich, brown color - like tea is supposed to look (not watered down)
Service was great, and the staff was very, very friendly. We felt comfortable and at home. The dining room was fun - a century-old house (built in 1883), hardwood floors, pretty lace curtains, and antique tables with lace table cloths. Food served on antique (or looked antique) dishes.

We even had dessert -- cheesecake and lemon poppy cake with warm lemon sauce. We left full and satisfied.
They even have a penny smashing machine (we collect smashed pennies)!

They serve hot tea and dessert, if you don't want a whole meal, at least stop for dessert and a chat in this wonderful restaurant. This was the best part of our trip to Lincoln.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank afmel
Santa Ana, California
“This is the ONLY spot where you should eat in Lincoln!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

We were touring Lincoln and all of its history during a cloudy and breezy day. What we needed was to have a warm and cozy place where we could settle down with a decent lunch. The Dolan House provided just EXACTLY what we needed. As the other reviews suggest, the place is a converted house and so you never feel crowded because there are only so many tables and chairs in each of the rooms. A tour of the house, itself, is a pleasure, but then so is the easy (but limited) menu. I had the hot chili and enjoyed it very much. Even though I had been warned it was "kinda hot", I didn't think so and added the extra chopped onions I had been served. My wife had a sandwich and fruit salad. We were both pleased with what we had. The only suggestion I would make to the place was that the two servers (husband and wife?) were wonderfully friendly and helpful, but the fellow's shirt was just a T-shirt, and it was ripped! Give this spot a try.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fatbird1
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Lunch at Dolan House is a must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

We were fascinated by Lincoln in general, found it by accident and had no idea of the all the history there. In addition we happened to have lunch at the Dolan House. It was actually March when we visited, but the date selector would only go back to May of 2010. It was a bit cool that day and we had a hot meal that consisted of a delicious tortilla soup and other equally good food, but I remember the soup especially. We also met the owners who have been lovingly restoring the house and we look forward to returning to see what more they have done. All in all it was a terrific experience. Don't miss it.

• Visited May 2010
3 Thank PeteWnVB
Houston, Texas
“Loved this restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

After enjoying the historical aspects of Lincoln, along with my 3 sisters and 2 of our husbands, we visited Dolan House one afternoon for ice cream floats and a piece of pecan pie. We thoroughly enjoyed the "cowboy" history of the town, but what we found in Dolan House was something special. We enjoyed the outstanding pecan pie ala mode so much that afternoon, we decided to make reservations for a meal on Friday evening. Beverly truly supplied a wonderful meal and an interesting amount of local history for our table discussions. The fresh homemade yeast rolls were outstanding, the pork tenderloin was among the best I've ever had. All the vegetables were perfect, and the pecan pie (our choice) was just couldn't have been a better top off to our meal. If we ever go back to that area of our nation, we will DEFINITELY make reservations to dine at Dolan House again!

• Visited June 2010
2 Thank chocohawaii

Been to The Dolan House? Share your experiences!