“Charming hotel”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We always stay at the Plaza when passing through to our land in the mountains. They are very pet friendly - our dogs love walking out the door and around the plaza park. Book online for best prices and bring your own pillows. Staff is friendly and free breakfast is excellent!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 2, 2007

During the December 06 snow storm in parts of New Mexico, me and my family became stranded in Las Vegas, NM. We decided to stay at the Plaza Hotel. I booked my room over the phone. Luckily they had a few rooms left when I called. We arrived about 1 hour later to check in. When we arrived they had no knowledge of my reservation. I remembered the guy's name "Dave." I told Dave that I had just talked to him over the phone and reserved my room with him. He remembered and then said that he must have forgot to input the information into the computer. He said that he only had one room left and that "I got lucky!" I was upset, but what are you going to do. So I just breathed a sigh of relief and he gave me a discount for his mess up. The room was nice and the resturant down-stairs served good food. We ate there for dinner and breakfast. The view of the plaza from our room was very nice and we were able to "enjoy" the snow! We stayed 2 nights. The staff were not the friendliest, but I say over all the Hotel was okay. They could do a lot more with the place, but then again what do you expect for being in the middle of no where during a snow storm! No sightings of the ghost, but felt his presence!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Note that six or seven of the previous reviews are mistakenly for the Plaza in Las Vegas, NV--which I imagine affects the total ratings of the place.

Anyway, I recently toured all of the historic hotels in northern New Mexico, and I'd rank the Plaza up there close to the St. James in Cimarron, especially if you get one of the fancier rooms--the ones in the original part of the building (rather than the back half) all have much higher ceilings and cooler details. I stayed in a pretty standard-issue one the first night, then moved to a suite the second night--not cheap, but I'm glad I did it.

Handy wireless Internet, and full modern baths, and all that make it pretty comfortable as well.

Definitely book online if you can (but call first to figure out which room to get!), because the prices are almost half of what they'll quote you if you just walk in off the street.

Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank zlo
Reviewed August 23, 2006

My wife and I were travelling down from Colorado and looked for a reasonable hotel in Northern NM. We booked it via the Internet and they gave us a great Internet price. The room price included a decent breakfast and we also ate dinner at their restaurant.
The food was good, they had a decent wine list and some good beers in the bar. The people were nice and friendly and the room was clean with nice personal touches. Sure, the hotel is a little "faded glory" but was well worth the money and we would stay there again. Would make a nice base of operations for anyone doing the Santa Fe/Taos loop and not wishing to get gouged for hotel prices. Santa Fe is about 45 mins drive away.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Phil C
A TripAdvisor Member
new mexico
Reviewed July 8, 2006

when we called to reserve a room they were sold out for the dates we requested so we were put on the waiting list,Janet a very nice & polite lady called us 2 days later to let us know thre was a canceletion on a room with a queen size bed, I had requested 2 beds so she said that if I wanted the room they could provided with a rollaway bed,she failed to mention there was a 10.00 a night fee for the rollaway,we booked the room but only for 2 nights instead of the 3 we nedded because the room was sold for the third nigth,upon arrival we were told we could have the room for the third night,when we got to the room we noticed it was way to small for 3 people but didn't say anything,but that nigth when we went to sleep the mattres was in bad shape it sunk so bad we couldn't rest at all, my daughter got up the next day with a back ache & stiff neck, I went to the front desk to ask if they could switch us to a different room with a better mattress & was told they were booked for the weekend & have no rooms available at all but one lady was thinking about checking out that day & if she did I could have that room,it was a premium room with a bigger queen size bed,I was told to check back around eleven because they have a waiting list,my daugther went back at10:48 the clerck called the manager & explain the situation ,the manager told her we could have the room for 28.00 more at nigth,we were already paying 129.00,the premium rate because it was a last minute booking on a holiday weekend,he also offer her a suite for close to 200.00 a nigth,she went back to the room to let me know,I then went back to talk to the managerto see what else he could offer us,we were not trying to be difficult,we just wanted a better bed,I told him we stayed at the venetian in las vegas for the same money we were paying him & the service was unbelivable,all he have to say was that if we wanted the room we needed to pay full price,because it was an upgrade I told him that in las vegas when there was something wrong with you room they upgrade you free of charge,to which hes reply was that I was in las vegas new mexico & the prices were set,I told him my friend was staying there for89.00 a nigth & he said they probably reserve their room a long time ago there was nothing else he could do for us but we wre welcome to check around for different accomodations,Itold him okay but I was lodging a complain with the bbb,he just shrug his shoulders,we were forced to stay there because there was no rooms available anywhere in town,were planning on going back to las vegas,nm next year but would never stay at the plaza hotel again,I know the almost 500.00 dlls it cost us for 3 nigths mean nothing to them but as a bussines owner I feel that if I were to treat my customers that way I would be out of bussines long ago.ps he then proced to raise my friend's rate she got made at me.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

The terrible service at the Plaza Hotel made it hard to enjoy our stay.

We'd booked a suite, but they had us booked in for March, not April. That made check-in difficult and unpleasant. It was clear even to the staff that it was their error, but there were no apologies and we were made to feel in the wrong for their booking mistake.

The suite was large and pretty, and the lobby was nice, but the room wasn't terribly clean, and the beds and pillows weren't comfortable.

Check-in was unpleasant and then, as if to ensure we wouldn't be back, check-out was even worse. Since they'd already billed us (in March - as they'd booked us for the wrong month!) we were told there'd be no more charges. The next day they tried to bill us another $10 since we were a family of 4 (just as we'd been in March and just as we were when we checked in and were told there'd be no further charges!) Oh my goodness their staff needs training!

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank RoseTravels
Reviewed April 13, 2006

Pros: Reasonably priced, beautiful, historic building, charming old-fashioned rooms, good restaurant (seriously)

Cons: Not much to see in Las Vegas NM other than what's right on the plaza, internet at the hotel didn't work well

The service is very personable, and they have a very reasonable pet policy ($10 per night). The place really has a sense of history and is well-maintained. If you need to stay the night in Las Vegas, stay at the Plaza.

• Stayed: August 2004