“A quaint and pleasant surprise”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Las Vegas
Kerrville, Texas
“A quaint and pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 23, 2006

My wife and I were travelling down from Colorado and looked for a reasonable hotel in Northern NM. We booked it via the Internet and they gave us a great Internet price. The room price included a decent breakfast and we also ate dinner at their restaurant.
The food was good, they had a decent wine list and some good beers in the bar. The people were nice and friendly and the room was clean with nice personal touches. Sure, the hotel is a little "faded glory" but was well worth the money and we would stay there again. Would make a nice base of operations for anyone doing the Santa Fe/Taos loop and not wishing to get gouged for hotel prices. Santa Fe is about 45 mins drive away.

• Liked — Quaintness, location
  • Disliked — A touch shabby but clean
  • Tips/Secrets — Book online first!!!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Phil C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Reviewed July 8, 2006

when we called to reserve a room they were sold out for the dates we requested so we were put on the waiting list,Janet a very nice & polite lady called us 2 days later to let us know thre was a canceletion on a room with a queen size bed, I had requested 2 beds so she said that if I wanted the room they could provided with a rollaway bed,she failed to mention there was a 10.00 a night fee for the rollaway,we booked the room but only for 2 nights instead of the 3 we nedded because the room was sold for the third nigth,upon arrival we were told we could have the room for the third night,when we got to the room we noticed it was way to small for 3 people but didn't say anything,but that nigth when we went to sleep the mattres was in bad shape it sunk so bad we couldn't rest at all, my daughter got up the next day with a back ache & stiff neck, I went to the front desk to ask if they could switch us to a different room with a better mattress & was told they were booked for the weekend & have no rooms available at all but one lady was thinking about checking out that day & if she did I could have that room,it was a premium room with a bigger queen size bed,I was told to check back around eleven because they have a waiting list,my daugther went back at10:48 the clerck called the manager & explain the situation ,the manager told her we could have the room for 28.00 more at nigth,we were already paying 129.00,the premium rate because it was a last minute booking on a holiday weekend,he also offer her a suite for close to 200.00 a nigth,she went back to the room to let me know,I then went back to talk to the managerto see what else he could offer us,we were not trying to be difficult,we just wanted a better bed,I told him we stayed at the venetian in las vegas for the same money we were paying him & the service was unbelivable,all he have to say was that if we wanted the room we needed to pay full price,because it was an upgrade I told him that in las vegas when there was something wrong with you room they upgrade you free of charge,to which hes reply was that I was in las vegas new mexico & the prices were set,I told him my friend was staying there for89.00 a nigth & he said they probably reserve their room a long time ago there was nothing else he could do for us but we wre welcome to check around for different accomodations,Itold him okay but I was lodging a complain with the bbb,he just shrug his shoulders,we were forced to stay there because there was no rooms available anywhere in town,were planning on going back to las vegas,nm next year but would never stay at the plaza hotel again,I know the almost 500.00 dlls it cost us for 3 nigths mean nothing to them but as a bussines owner I feel that if I were to treat my customers that way I would be out of bussines long ago.ps he then proced to raise my friend's rate she got made at me.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed April 17, 2006

The terrible service at the Plaza Hotel made it hard to enjoy our stay.

We'd booked a suite, but they had us booked in for March, not April. That made check-in difficult and unpleasant. It was clear even to the staff that it was their error, but there were no apologies and we were made to feel in the wrong for their booking mistake.

The suite was large and pretty, and the lobby was nice, but the room wasn't terribly clean, and the beds and pillows weren't comfortable.

Check-in was unpleasant and then, as if to ensure we wouldn't be back, check-out was even worse. Since they'd already billed us (in March - as they'd booked us for the wrong month!) we were told there'd be no more charges. The next day they tried to bill us another $10 since we were a family of 4 (just as we'd been in March and just as we were when we checked in and were told there'd be no further charges!) Oh my goodness their staff needs training!

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank RoseTravels
Colorado
Reviewed April 13, 2006

Pros: Reasonably priced, beautiful, historic building, charming old-fashioned rooms, good restaurant (seriously)

Cons: Not much to see in Las Vegas NM other than what's right on the plaza, internet at the hotel didn't work well

The service is very personable, and they have a very reasonable pet policy ($10 per night). The place really has a sense of history and is well-maintained. If you need to stay the night in Las Vegas, stay at the Plaza.

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank toolmeister
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Have been staying at the Plaza most years from England for over 20 years, when visiting my sister in California. Love the relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. Always made very welcome and I feel very safe as a woman, even when playing in the early hours. Thank you Plaza, see you very soon. Pam Ellis

• Stayed December 2004
Reviewed October 19, 2005

Lovely building; horrible staff! Beds were even worse! No concept of customer service whatsoever. Housekeeping forgot to empty trash twice; forgot to make up the roll-away once. We were booked for 6 nights; left after 3 nights. The staff was clearly inconvenienced by even the smallest queries (such as, "What time does the restaurant begin serving breakfast?"). I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 15, 2005

Room 102 must have one of the "additional four [which] took the place of the original restaurant kitchen on the 1st Floor." [hotels own website] during the 1982 renovation. The only window goes to the patio, which means very little light, and if you open the curtains the people who celebrate their 80th birthday look right into your room. Otherwise the room was absolutely huge, high ceilings and a big bathroom/wardrobe.

Wonderful atmosphere, but room 102 cannot really be recommended.

• Stayed October 2005