“Special Hotel in the other Las Vegas.”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Las Vegas
perth,ontario
“Special Hotel in the other Las Vegas.”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We are Canadians, but receive a New Mexico magazine subscription each Christmas from a friend who lives in Santa Fe. I couldn't help but notice ads and reviews of the Plaza Hotel. It looked just like a place we would enjoy. We weren't disappointed. Our room was in the old section of the hotel, furnished with antiques, but with thick mattresses, modern, fresh linens and a very up to date bathroom. We had planned to spend one night only, but after a wee taste of this place, we booked on for longer. Breakfasts were great, either full English or New Mexican style. We did not have dinner at the hotel, but the menu looked appealing. Servers were always gracious, helpful and friendly. The adjoining pub featured local craft beer as well as old standbys. We neglected to have a margarita, but the table next to us said that they were really great.
The concierge was friendly and helpful, as was the front desk clerk. They offered information on places for us to see within walking distance.
A movie was made this year in Las Vegas, N.M., starring Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, as well as many other well known actors. Guess where they stayed? The Plaza!

The park facing the hotel has an old bandstand that offers free music on the weekends. It has a real lawn with real grass, that is watered with grey water from the hotel. Shops encircle the park, including antiques, art and crafts, a great old pharmacy with soda fountain and bent wire chairs encircling round tables. Walking toward the centre of town you pass an abundance of Victorian storefronts, some restored and some in the original condition.
We are architecture fans and were pleased to find a building in the Richardsonian Romanesque design, that resembled one that was built in the same era as our Canadian hometown Town Hall and Opera House. The old railway hotel and station was evocative of early Spanish American architecture. We wandered past Victorian and Edwardian mansions, also smaller houses of the same vintage,some restored and some a bit down at the heels, but still interesting.
There is a new area in Las Vegas, with all the box stores and fast food places one would want, if that was their preference. We opted for small restaurants in the old city, with typical New Mexican food.
I can't wait to see the movie, that will be released in 2014.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park might be a bit noisy. If you want an old fashioned feel, book into the o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank penelopeone
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM .We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, breakfast, the décor as well as the history of the hotel. Thank you for acknowledging the staff and their hard work.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and look forward to having you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Columbus, TX
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Historic hotel that has been lovingly restored. Overlooks the town park in a quaint shopping district. Our room was in the newer section (Room 318) overlooking the plaza. AARP Room rate was $92.65 - with taxes $103.83, and that included an "order off the menu" breakfast for two. Room was spotless. Service was excellent throughout our stay. Breakfast was by far the best "free breakfast" I have ever had at a hotel. Bed was comfortable and linens were good quality. I also always appreciate small touches provided such as "spa" type shampoos & conditioners. Thank you!

The hotel is large and rambling and fun to walk up/down around the wide antique staircases and through the halls. There is an elevator and they also have a luggage cart. Besides the restaurant, there is also a fun bar downstairs (Karaoke anyone?) that has outside seating. My rule is "death before karaoke" (singing isn't a strong point) so we sat outside and enjoyed people watching. The party went on way after we went to bed, and although I was aware of the noise (the bar was two floors directly below our room window) - it didn't bother me or keep me awake. My husband didn't hear it at all.

The staff was more than just courteous. They were genuinely friendly and helpful. We did not encounter one snarly employee during our stay. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Historic Plaza and we will be back!

Motorcycle Tip: Check out our front row parking pics. You cannot park directly in front of the doors, but you can park in front the hotel. Also, we left our truck/trailer in Las Vegas as this was our "take off" point for motorcycle trip thru NM, CO, UT, and AZ. It was suggested that we talk to someone at the police station about leaving our "rig" in their lot. The police station is just on the other side of the plaza/park. The police were extremely helpful and allowed us to park without a problem. They have security cameras and we left it for 10 days with no issues at all.

Las Vegas, NM - you can tell LVNM is struggling some with economy and perhaps even some heightened crime. There are some fabulous shops, but you also get the feeling that it can be slightly "rough". Lots of bars on windows/doors, etc. I never felt "unsafe" at all in the plaza area, but - I was very "aware" of my surroundings.

Room Tip: Room tip: depends on what you are looking for and how light of a sleeper you are. Talk to the hote...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy O
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM .We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, breakfast, the décor with us as well as the history of the hotel. Thank you for acknowledging the staff and their hard work.

Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stay here a lot. Twice a year for the past 15 years. It's reasonably priced and centrally located. I always ask for a room in the new section as I think the beds in the old section are as historic as the hotel.

So, I check in on Sept 8 and go down for an awful dinner (see my separate restaurant review). I return to the room, settle in, grab the remote and the tv listing guide. Only problem is that the guide was from August and apparently the cleaning staff did not bother to replace it in the previous 8 days.

I left the next day and went to work. When I returned at 7PM, the room was made. However, the table where the coffee pot and ice bucket and glasses were was as I left it, which was in need of cleaning as almost everything was used. And no replacement coffee either. I had to go down to the front desk to ask for a clean glass. And the dirty linens were left in the bathroom.

I would grade this as poor, except there is nothing else in this part of town and it is convenient for me. It looks nice, but that is about it. My understanding is that they had a management change about 6 months ago and is appears it has all been downhill from there.

Room Tip: If you check in on a Friday or Saturday night and stay in the new section, be sure to ask if there i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BLDTraveler
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM .We are sorry to hear that your had some bad experience with your stay particularly with the restaurant and housekeeping. We will address the issues immediately and we hope that you give us another chance to prove our hospitality to you.

Indianapolis
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Plaza is a historic landmark dating back to 1882. I love the old world charm and they have tried very hard to stay up with the times. Free WiFi, sit-down breakfast and the normal hotel stuff makes up for the cookie cutter rooms found else where. Cross the street and enjoy the plaza with carvings and period history. If you are headed to Santa Fe this is just 1 hour away and 25% of the cost of a room there. A must see for the history buff.

Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM .We are happy to hear that your drive was well worth it and you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the history of the hotel.

Piedmont, California
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Lovingly restored, this magnificent relic of the Old West is worth the ordeal of by-passing the wonderful accommodations of Santa Fe. Fine wood, towering ceilings, gracious restaurant -- and a potentially raucus saloon crowd -- are all part of the scene. Pet-friendly, though a four-footed friend does preclude you from the most elegant of the rooms and suites -- but even then, the rooms are enormous (and, in at least one case, haunted). The room rates are great in and of themselves, but even better, they come with a prepaid full breakfast -- not some skimpy continental muffin & coffee -- served in the dining room. We'll return for certain!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your extra travel was well worth it.

Fredericksburg, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was traveling with my mom on a long trip from Kansas to El Paso. We decided to stay here on some of the reviews and loved it. when we arrived we asked Sean the front desk agent about rooms and he gladly set up on the second floor looking out to the plaza. Sean was very informative about where to eat and what times most of the places closed at. I can say Sean is someone that enjoys his job as well as the customers that come to the plaza. If I could would have sean work for me in some of the hotels i have managed or will in the future.

I would also like to say that Phil the waiter that we had in the morning was good as well and also liked that he gave the opinion on what was good to eat. My mother also had a conversation with him about coffee and how tasty was the one at the hotel in the dinning area.

One other person that we came in contact was D Anna. What can I say she was just as good as sean and once again I can say she really enjoys her job and truly loves the hotel. I enjoyed our talks about the hotel and some of the history. My mom also told me that she had told her some stories about the hotel and some things that had happened. I was also impressed how she knew about the hotel and what was going on with the owners and so forth. I also liked the fact that she took the time to walk us to another room to look at when we asked about it. As I stated earlier i have worked for hotels for over 18 years and I can say that I can tell when there are good and great employees and i can say she is up there with Sean as well. I also liked hearing some of her ideas about how things can be done or how she truly loves the Plaza. I have worked for Hyatt and other big chains and I can say that she and sean would truly do well with bigger hotels the Plaza is very fortunate to have truly loyal employees that seem to love their work and the hotel as if it was their own. I Know those are people that are hard to find I hope to see them in the future.

Now for my stay. I loved the old hotel feel and loved the fact that they still used keys and not key cards. That was something I liked and loved I know many will disagree with me but also a lot of people tend to want to forget the past and history well good history but when it comes to bad history we love to dwell on it. My mother and myself loved the old furniture and how the hotel felt as if you were in the past i could just feel history through out the hotel. After staying here I felt as though i wanted to research the history of Las Vegas NM I am sure I will do when I have time. Our room was clean when we arrived and did not smell old but clean and looked great.

This hotel is something that I hope does not change to something modern. I have always said to many people when one travels to a small town or not such a big city one wants to see that the hotels are not like city ones but that of the town. This hotel is truly a jewel out in the middle of nowhere. I can say that many people should go there to just see what a hotel in the past was like and an upscale one at that. And i can say one does not need all the stuff that hotels try to offer now to people to get them to stay. This hotel has its charm and does not need any more modern stuff done to it. I am sure in the past we did not need so many pools bars in the room and I am sure the list can go on. I know many like all the new but also realize that many like to see what the past was like and what life was like when we did not care for having so much materialistic items in our lives.

So all in all my stay was great and the staff provided excellent service. Remember if you are truly a full service hotel always make sure to have staff on hand that is what makes a full service hotel having the staff to cater to our needs not having to wait for along time. so if anything keep staff on hand and keep your truly great workers. For people who read this I would say go visit this hotel to just get the feel of history or maybe see a ghost or two, I wish I had but that did not happen. I am sure many of the hotels in the area are good but I can say this hotel is Great and fun. I Have told many of my friends about this place as well as posted many pics on my Facebook. I would truly like to manage a hotel such as this or own one day but have to see in time. So keep up the good work and hope to see this hotel around for many years. I am sure i will return that is how impressed I was with this Jewel. To future guest of the Plaza remember this is an old hotel so look for the charm and history in it and do not worry about the floors making noise or that the keys are old school. Remember all things get old even ourselves and I am sure would not want to be forgotten of thought of as no good. So love love love this place as you can tell.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the plaza park
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM or like you call it the "Jewel". We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff was most helpful to you and your mom. Thank you for acknowledging Sean, D'Anna, and Phil's attention to details and recommending us to your family and friends.

Coleman, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had planned for several months a trip to Angel Fire, NM for a wedding with an overnight stay at the Historical Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas, NM. We were looking forward to a relaxing afternoon/night with shopping the next morning. It was a delightful afternoon with friendly staff and sitting on the sidewalk sipping beer and people watching. Our night meal was “okay” at the hotel restaurant. Staff shared stories about the legendary ghost.

Our room was comfortable and maintained in the spirit of a “historical” hotel with a 1980’s Schlage key inside of the modern keyless door that can record entrances (And that eventually is a huge factor in the whole story!).

The next morning my husband and I met in the restaurant for our free breakfast. Our 29-year old daughter, a fresh law school graduate, soon followed; however, she had forgotten her “free breakfast” ticket. Our Rolex wearing waitress kindly told her it was not necessary. We ordered our breakfast and enjoyed every bit of it. Our ticket came, and the waitress told my daughter then she needed to go get the ticket in the room. When she returned, she complained the room smelled of too much cheap perfume/cologne. I informed her, I had on her favorite perfume. We laughed that maybe the legendary ghost had visited our room! My husband and I lingered in the restaurant while our daughter showered and got ready for a morning of shopping.

Arriving at the room, the door was safety locked from inside. Our daughter informed us that when she got to the room, there was a man with lots of “tats” lingering around the room. He asked her some questions which she answered, but did not feel safe. Therefore, she locked the room from the inside.

Upon arriving in the room, I started the process of packing our bags. I noticed a plastic bag of trash on the bed, but thought maybe my daughter was just gathering up some stuff from the bathroom. Within minutes, my husband announced that the money he had in his bag was missing. Honestly, my anger that he had left money in the room was minimal compared to the next ordeal of notifying the hotel, police department, questioning the staff, and eventually the accusation that our daughter was the thief.

With only three staff with room keys including head of housekeeping, a staff member (the man with “tats”) not in a uniform performing housekeeping duties next door, and another staff member, the culprit should have been fairly obvious; however, there was so much finger pointing, accusations, and lack of accountably that no one to the best of our knowledge was or will be charged with the theft of $1300. In fact, the head of housekeeping blamed the thief on the ghost. Excuse me, I don’t believe a ghost needs money plus I don’t care to be a part of that legend. In addition, it is rather obvious that someone in housekeeping was in the room because the bag of trash on the bed next to the bag where the money was hidden came from housekeeping, because it had cleaning supplies. And, that lovely 1980’s historical key (really?) cannot record times of entrance into the room!

Needless to say, we checked out and spent no more money in the town. Well, we did leave approximately $1555 in stolen money, bar tabs, and dinner. Thank you Las Vegas for the shaft! While the manager did assist in the investigation, he soon left the hotel while we were being questioned without contacting us or helping us check out. When we asked to see him, we were told, “What for? He doesn’t need to see you!”

During our week in Angel Fire, we discussed possible scenarios of what actually happened. We can all assume, but the one truth is, money was stolen by staff in a possible theft ring. Head of housekeeper had also told us that just a few weeks before, a very famous man’s driver had his medicine and money stolen, but it was found later under a table. She was trying to say that the ghost had hidden the money. . .well, ghost, find our money!

8 Thank Doodie T