“Historic Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Las Vegas
Indianapolis
“Historic Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Plaza is a historic landmark dating back to 1882. I love the old world charm and they have tried very hard to stay up with the times. Free WiFi, sit-down breakfast and the normal hotel stuff makes up for the cookie cutter rooms found else where. Cross the street and enjoy the plaza with carvings and period history. If you are headed to Santa Fe this is just 1 hour away and 25% of the cost of a room there. A must see for the history buff.

Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM .We are happy to hear that your drive was well worth it and you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the history of the hotel.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and look forward to having you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Piedmont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Lovingly restored, this magnificent relic of the Old West is worth the ordeal of by-passing the wonderful accommodations of Santa Fe. Fine wood, towering ceilings, gracious restaurant -- and a potentially raucus saloon crowd -- are all part of the scene. Pet-friendly, though a four-footed friend does preclude you from the most elegant of the rooms and suites -- but even then, the rooms are enormous (and, in at least one case, haunted). The room rates are great in and of themselves, but even better, they come with a prepaid full breakfast -- not some skimpy continental muffin & coffee -- served in the dining room. We'll return for certain!

Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your extra travel was well worth it.

Fredericksburg, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was traveling with my mom on a long trip from Kansas to El Paso. We decided to stay here on some of the reviews and loved it. when we arrived we asked Sean the front desk agent about rooms and he gladly set up on the second floor looking out to the plaza. Sean was very informative about where to eat and what times most of the places closed at. I can say Sean is someone that enjoys his job as well as the customers that come to the plaza. If I could would have sean work for me in some of the hotels i have managed or will in the future.

I would also like to say that Phil the waiter that we had in the morning was good as well and also liked that he gave the opinion on what was good to eat. My mother also had a conversation with him about coffee and how tasty was the one at the hotel in the dinning area.

One other person that we came in contact was D Anna. What can I say she was just as good as sean and once again I can say she really enjoys her job and truly loves the hotel. I enjoyed our talks about the hotel and some of the history. My mom also told me that she had told her some stories about the hotel and some things that had happened. I was also impressed how she knew about the hotel and what was going on with the owners and so forth. I also liked the fact that she took the time to walk us to another room to look at when we asked about it. As I stated earlier i have worked for hotels for over 18 years and I can say that I can tell when there are good and great employees and i can say she is up there with Sean as well. I also liked hearing some of her ideas about how things can be done or how she truly loves the Plaza. I have worked for Hyatt and other big chains and I can say that she and sean would truly do well with bigger hotels the Plaza is very fortunate to have truly loyal employees that seem to love their work and the hotel as if it was their own. I Know those are people that are hard to find I hope to see them in the future.

Now for my stay. I loved the old hotel feel and loved the fact that they still used keys and not key cards. That was something I liked and loved I know many will disagree with me but also a lot of people tend to want to forget the past and history well good history but when it comes to bad history we love to dwell on it. My mother and myself loved the old furniture and how the hotel felt as if you were in the past i could just feel history through out the hotel. After staying here I felt as though i wanted to research the history of Las Vegas NM I am sure I will do when I have time. Our room was clean when we arrived and did not smell old but clean and looked great.

This hotel is something that I hope does not change to something modern. I have always said to many people when one travels to a small town or not such a big city one wants to see that the hotels are not like city ones but that of the town. This hotel is truly a jewel out in the middle of nowhere. I can say that many people should go there to just see what a hotel in the past was like and an upscale one at that. And i can say one does not need all the stuff that hotels try to offer now to people to get them to stay. This hotel has its charm and does not need any more modern stuff done to it. I am sure in the past we did not need so many pools bars in the room and I am sure the list can go on. I know many like all the new but also realize that many like to see what the past was like and what life was like when we did not care for having so much materialistic items in our lives.

So all in all my stay was great and the staff provided excellent service. Remember if you are truly a full service hotel always make sure to have staff on hand that is what makes a full service hotel having the staff to cater to our needs not having to wait for along time. so if anything keep staff on hand and keep your truly great workers. For people who read this I would say go visit this hotel to just get the feel of history or maybe see a ghost or two, I wish I had but that did not happen. I am sure many of the hotels in the area are good but I can say this hotel is Great and fun. I Have told many of my friends about this place as well as posted many pics on my Facebook. I would truly like to manage a hotel such as this or own one day but have to see in time. So keep up the good work and hope to see this hotel around for many years. I am sure i will return that is how impressed I was with this Jewel. To future guest of the Plaza remember this is an old hotel so look for the charm and history in it and do not worry about the floors making noise or that the keys are old school. Remember all things get old even ourselves and I am sure would not want to be forgotten of thought of as no good. So love love love this place as you can tell.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the plaza park
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM or like you call it the "Jewel". We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff was most helpful to you and your mom. Thank you for acknowledging Sean, D'Anna, and Phil's attention to details and recommending us to your family and friends.

Coleman, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had planned for several months a trip to Angel Fire, NM for a wedding with an overnight stay at the Historical Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas, NM. We were looking forward to a relaxing afternoon/night with shopping the next morning. It was a delightful afternoon with friendly staff and sitting on the sidewalk sipping beer and people watching. Our night meal was “okay” at the hotel restaurant. Staff shared stories about the legendary ghost.

Our room was comfortable and maintained in the spirit of a “historical” hotel with a 1980’s Schlage key inside of the modern keyless door that can record entrances (And that eventually is a huge factor in the whole story!).

The next morning my husband and I met in the restaurant for our free breakfast. Our 29-year old daughter, a fresh law school graduate, soon followed; however, she had forgotten her “free breakfast” ticket. Our Rolex wearing waitress kindly told her it was not necessary. We ordered our breakfast and enjoyed every bit of it. Our ticket came, and the waitress told my daughter then she needed to go get the ticket in the room. When she returned, she complained the room smelled of too much cheap perfume/cologne. I informed her, I had on her favorite perfume. We laughed that maybe the legendary ghost had visited our room! My husband and I lingered in the restaurant while our daughter showered and got ready for a morning of shopping.

Arriving at the room, the door was safety locked from inside. Our daughter informed us that when she got to the room, there was a man with lots of “tats” lingering around the room. He asked her some questions which she answered, but did not feel safe. Therefore, she locked the room from the inside.

Upon arriving in the room, I started the process of packing our bags. I noticed a plastic bag of trash on the bed, but thought maybe my daughter was just gathering up some stuff from the bathroom. Within minutes, my husband announced that the money he had in his bag was missing. Honestly, my anger that he had left money in the room was minimal compared to the next ordeal of notifying the hotel, police department, questioning the staff, and eventually the accusation that our daughter was the thief.

With only three staff with room keys including head of housekeeping, a staff member (the man with “tats”) not in a uniform performing housekeeping duties next door, and another staff member, the culprit should have been fairly obvious; however, there was so much finger pointing, accusations, and lack of accountably that no one to the best of our knowledge was or will be charged with the theft of $1300. In fact, the head of housekeeping blamed the thief on the ghost. Excuse me, I don’t believe a ghost needs money plus I don’t care to be a part of that legend. In addition, it is rather obvious that someone in housekeeping was in the room because the bag of trash on the bed next to the bag where the money was hidden came from housekeeping, because it had cleaning supplies. And, that lovely 1980’s historical key (really?) cannot record times of entrance into the room!

Needless to say, we checked out and spent no more money in the town. Well, we did leave approximately $1555 in stolen money, bar tabs, and dinner. Thank you Las Vegas for the shaft! While the manager did assist in the investigation, he soon left the hotel while we were being questioned without contacting us or helping us check out. When we asked to see him, we were told, “What for? He doesn’t need to see you!”

During our week in Angel Fire, we discussed possible scenarios of what actually happened. We can all assume, but the one truth is, money was stolen by staff in a possible theft ring. Head of housekeeper had also told us that just a few weeks before, a very famous man’s driver had his medicine and money stolen, but it was found later under a table. She was trying to say that the ghost had hidden the money. . .well, ghost, find our money!

8 Thank Doodie T
Aurora, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were greeted by name as we walked in the door. Wow!
My 84 year old mom and I stayed there, and Shaun told us where we could go down the road for some "one of a kind" experiences. We saw the castle, hot springs, and Dwan Light Sanctuary.
Our room was quiet, large and clean.
The restaurant had good food.
Yes, we both felt the chill of a ghost.

Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for acknowledging Sean's attention to details.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and we all including Byron T look forward to having you again very soon.
Lubbock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice generic hotel in built in 18 hundreds. Nice area,quiet close to hot springs at world college we went to. Parking was where ever you could find a place. Nice restaurant, as well as small club with entertainment at night.Thought it would be more western themed, but it was minimal.Room was comfortable, but very generic. Check in was excellent as well as checkout. Nice northern New Mexico city with lots of history. We were in mountains at 8000ft next day withing 30 minutes.

Room Tip: noswimming and well as no parking
Tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay immensely. Fortunately, we arrived early enough to spend time on the Las Vegas Plaza and stroll the streets. The hotel has been very well redone, but expect some floors to creak. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay. The room was immaculately clean. The bed was good for one night. The restaurant food is outstanding, with New Mexico touches to classic dishes.such as chicken Alfredo with green chile. The servers are charming, friendly and very eager to please. The free breakfast was also very good. We would definitely repeat just for the dining room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for staying at the beautiful Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us,you liked the rooms and the history of the hotel.

Thank you for acknowledging the attention to details.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and we look forward to having you again very soon.

We will have the green chile waiting for you as well.

Hotel Management