“Great Hotel, But Watch Out For The Breakfast Troll” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Las Vegas
Taos, New Mexico
“Great Hotel, But Watch Out For The Breakfast Troll”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great hotel that we've been to many times since it's re-opening. Excellent rooms and food. They had a bit of a time getting my parents set-up in a room w/ working AC last time around, but that's to be expected from time to time. Love the location and it's always good to visit old haunts (my dad went to grad school at Highlands U. in the 60s). I do have to note that the older woman (Hispanic, short/ dark hair, no name-tag...maybe management) doing the complimentary breakfast service was a bit of a downer. She was rude, condescending, and gave us intentionally bad service. I've lived in NM for 23 yrs. and have gotten used to this in lesser establishments, but was a bit galled at such shoddy treatment at such a great hotel. Beware the breakfast troll....

Room Tip: Don't stay over the bar, but get a window facing the plaza.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Bridgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The :Plaza Hotel was built in 1882 and stands overlooking the central plaza area in downtown Las Vegas, NM. It has that old stately feel convincing all that it has seen a great deal in its many years. The rooms are quite large with high ceilings. There was no attempt to shrink the rooms to provide more revenue. These wonderful rooms are quite comfortable and truly satisfying and the price was quite reasonable. The staff is over-friendly and all of this even comes with a free breakfast in their regular dining room, not one of those make-your-own waffle places. An excellent choice if you care at all where you stay.

Room Tip: If possible opt for a room overlooking the central plaza.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This historic hotel is located right on the square in the middle of Las Vegas. The front desk staff (and it is a little desk, at the end of the room when you walk in) may be the most helpful and friendly I've encountered in any hotel. There is an old section and a "new" section, though both seem like historic buildings to me with a small elevator to take you to the second or third floor where most of the rooms are. The hotel offers free WiFi, but reception is a little spotty, so I advise you to check your devices BEFORE you settle in; I did this and found I couldn't log on, so I asked to be moved to another room. Sean, the very helpful manager on duty that evening, gave me the keys to 2 different rooms and suggested I try them both and see which one I liked. The second one had the best reception, so I moved there. I was at the hotel two different nights, book-ending a trip to Colorado, and so experienced two different rooms. Both were clean and comfortable. Period chairs and tables furnish the rooms. Air conditioning has been added, and the bathrooms have multiple grab bars in the tubs, very useful for anyone who is older, disabled, or simply wants something to hold on to. The hotel has a restaurant and a bar; I ate dinner in the restaurant my first night and had some very good New Mex-Mex cooking, served by a friendly young man. The hotels offers free breakfast, and it is excellent - really cooked to order, with many choices on the menu; if you want even more than the free items, you can order additional ones for a small charge, but both mornings, I chose from the free menu and was very satisfied. I suggest you check the hotel website AND give them a phone call for the best rate. When I called, I was told that since a biker rally would be in town the following several days, I could not get a special rate, but when I went to the website, it was available and I booked it, about half of the rate quoted over the phone. The hotel does not offer parking, but you can park around the square out front, or in a lot behind the hotel where a bank and the post office are located, so no problem with parking. I am not normally a huge fan of older "historic" hotels, but the Plaza is an excellent place to lay your head if you are in Las Vegas. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: It's a quiet town after dark, so I think any room will be fine for sleeping. Each one is indivi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

A group of us crazy bicycle riders stayed overnight recently at the stately luxurious Plaza Hotel.
We arrived hot and tired after riding from Santa Fe and received a royal welcome from the staff, including help with getting our bicycles in off the street. I had a Queen room which was large and comfortable, quiet and cool. The full breakfast included the next morning provided the top up of calories we needed for the next day. All in all a wonderful place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bayport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

IN 1984 I worked for Cushmand & Wakefield, Inc. in NY, NY. I was assigned to value a new Arby's Restaurant near the International School. Typically I stayed in national chain hotels, but the Best Western on the interstate was full. The receptionist at the Best Western said "If you don't mind how much you spend, I would recommend The Plaza on the square in Las Vegas." I askedd how much it was a night, and she said "$35.00", which scared me a bit, because my dinner was usually more. Reluctantly, I went in and found that the property had just finished a multi-million dollar renovation, it was magnificent. I ate in the restaurant and read about its rich history, in 25 years of travel, I remember it to this day. Thank you Plaza!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ray M
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I booked one of the 2nd floor king suites that overlook the city park directly in front of the hotel. This hotel has been completely remodeled and restored. Unlike other old west hotels with smaller rooms, thin walls, no elevators, etc., this hotel has everything to make your stay amazing. The room was very large with a separate living area and a large bathroom with both a Jacuzi tube and a large shower. The bathroom also had two sinks. The AC worked flawlessly as did all of the room appliances. The hotel also has their own restaurant on the main floor which was very good and also provided the included breakfast which was very good. The best part of our stay was the king bed with the best mattress I have ever slept on. The decore of the entire hotel was exquisit.. We drive between Phoenix, AZ and Cheyenne, WY on a regular basis and will be staying here as our halfway point from now on.

Room Tip: Book the king suite facing the city park. We had room 220 which must have been their best room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

To my dying day, I will regret the many nights I stayed in Las Vegas, NM, before I learned about the Plaza Hotel. This wonderful old hotel is so welcoming, so comfortable, and so economical, I can't believe I didn't discover it sooner. I'm sure I will travel through Las Vegas again (family travel) and I will plan to stay at the Plaza as often as I can.

This wonderful hotel is at the heart of the old town square, which is the sort of place you just want to go out and walk on a summer night. Or a winter night! The restored Victorian rooms are beautiful, with vintage furnishings and modern, comfortable bedding. Prices are excellent and very competitive with chain hotels that offer much less comfort. The hotel restaurant is very good, both for dinner and for the included breakfast. The staff is so friendly and helpful... well, I don't know know to describe it all. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

Room Tip: Rooms on the square can be a bit noisy for a while, but they are so beautiful it is still worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple