“Jukeboxes!”

Cuisines: American
Columbus, New Mexico
“Jukeboxes!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a typical old-style restaurant with reasonable prices. The food's not bad, but the best thing is the jukeboxes at the tables.

Visited September 2013

Sedona, Arizona
“Looks Quaint but it Ain't”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived in Las Vegas, NM on a Sunday during a torrential downpour enroute to the hot springs. Hillcrest was one of the few restaurants open, even though it was a holiday weekend. From the outside, it looked like a quaint restaurant from bygone days, so we stopped in. My first impression inside of the wood and laminate paneled walls and tables was 'bad 1980's make-over.' There were large ugly patterned floral valances over the windows that looked like they hadn't been washed since they were hung in the 80's. The restaurant had the old pay-your-quarter push button music jukes by each table, but judging from the song selections and non-working large jukebox in the foyer, haven't played in over a decade ~ too bad, I remember them being a big deal when I was a kid in the 50's & 60's. The food selections were abysmal. They had a turkey dinner special that sounded reminiscent of the good old days, but it turned out to be a rather soggy unappetizing lump on our plates that was heavily peppered. I can't eat pepper, so my meal went to my husband who seemed happy just to eat something because we were so hungry. The iced tea tasted one step up from water and the pecan pie [that ended up being my dinner] was the worst commercial pie I've ever tasted. Everything tasted like it came directly from a freezer box or maybe even the box itself! There was air conditioning in the place, but it was freezing cold on a damp rainy day which was bone chilling. A fly fancied me throughout our time inside the restaurant which added to my feeling of total repulsion for this place. The waitress was out-to-lunch and didn't bring us necessary dining implements which we had to request several times. The bathroom smelled like a sewer and wasn't clean. We waited what seemed like forever for our bill. The credit card machine didn't work, so luckily we had cash to pay for our meal. So much for the "good-ole-days.'' You are better off stopping at Mickey D's for a mystery burger!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank WorldSprinter18
Foodienista, Owner at Hillcrest Restaurant, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I'm sorry u had a bad experience at Hillcrest. I remember the evening well. Our town got hit by a huge thunder storm which left 3/4of Las Vegas w/ out power for several hours. Most businesses had to close. We were severely crippled w/ out registers, server printers, credit card processing, some kitchen equipment, and an overwhelmed staff. In addition we were accommodating a large group in the banquet room. We were reeling and scrambling on a busy travel day under bad circumstances. I'm sorry I did not get to interface with u as I certainly would have replaced your meal or comped it. Several days prior to your visit was my 37th anniversary as co owner in a small family business whose family members have taken pride in 67 years of serving fine food in a family atmosphere. I really appreciate your comments as it always gives us direction to correct problems. I too am very sad about the juke box. It too has blown a fuse and several repairmen have worked on it to no avail. I will not give up. Many years in this business has given me above all perseverance. Karen
Scottsdale, Arizona
“The worst”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Cold fries, too spicy tortilla soup, well done burger. Made adjustment to bill, offered dessert on the house, declined that. A bad food experience.

• Visited September 2013
Surprise, AZ
“A slice of Route 66!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

A good "local" place with friendly service. It's an old-time diner with jukeboxes at each booth. Stick with something simple like grilled cheese and you can't go wrong!

• Visited August 2013
Fort Morgan, Colorado
“Not disappointed, not excited”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Slightly disappointed in "the best Mexican food in town" claim. The food was average and I would steer clear of the red chilli unless you love abundant amounts of chilli powder flavoring. The staff were great and atmosphere was truly an old style restaurant. I will try it again bit not for Mexican.

• Visited August 2013