“A culinary oasis in a vast desert”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Fidel

El Fidel
Ranked #2 of 48 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“A culinary oasis in a vast desert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We wandered off the Interstate sick of fast food needing refreshment. We found El Fidel by chance, and found healthful fare worthy of a major metropolitan center. We were surprised by the variety and sophistication of the menu. We had Black beans with brown rice, Lamb burger, Lox bagels,Grilled eggplant caprese and Pasta pomodoro pancetta cooked competently and presented artfully. The restaurant is in a classic old hotel that has interest of its own. It was a treat!

Visited August 2013

Santa Fe
“Faded glory”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

The prices are the same as the Landmark Grill and the food tastes about the same. So you shouldn't make a decision as to which hotel to stay in based upon the quality of the restaurant because both are average. The lunch I had looked nice on the plate but the meat was fatty and there was lots of grease. So much so that I had to use the restroom to wash my hands afterwards, just to rinse away the pork grease. At least El Fidel bothered to remove the stems from the pickles. The hotel is in need of repair and there was rock music blaring from the speakers. I think they are trying for a funky vibe but it smacks of badly faded glory. Overall, the food here won't kill you but there is no reason to seek it out.

• Visited August 2013
Sapello, NM
“Looks better than it is.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've eaten here twice now & there is a consistent comment I would make. The menu is good & offers many fascinating items especially for this small New Mexico town. The food I ate was pretty good & yet there have been strange quirks each time... I ordered the Sunday brunch B.A.T. The A stood for avocado (which is a primary reason I ordered it... ) & there was no avocado on the croissant! WHY didn't they tell me there were out of avocado instead of bringing me a sandwich I then did not want?! They then tried adding cheese & spinach & it became hard & stringy & I couldn't swallow it.

Then I had to re-order & the eggs dish was totally blah & the potatoes were not what I ordered. Plus my friend (who, btw, was taking me out for my birthday!) was finished by the time my meal was served. The servers kept coming over apologizing again & again but enough was enough already....

The grilled Caeser's with chicken I had the first time was unusual & delicious but there were quirks with that ordering, too... & lots of apologies that time, too. I will go back to try other dishes on the menu but hope their service staff gets better training by then.

A few weeks later: I always am excited to go to this restaurant & try something new since the menu is so enticing & has such a nice variety for our small town. Every time, tho', I am very disappointed in the presentation.

Most recently...The lettuce wraps with avocado & grilled salmon, for example, could have been a delectable & healthy meal &, in fact, it was almost inedible. If measured the salmon would have maybe been about 2 tablespoons in small crumbles & there were maybe 3 tiny slices of avocado in the whole dish. The vegetables that were wrapped in the romaine leaves were mostly carrots and, mind you, they were not nicely curled or delicately grated, they were in big heavy chunks that were not even chewable & did not taste good or fresh. The whole thing was drizzled with too much oily dressing & I basically left more of the dish than I ate.

Every time I eat here it is a similar disappointment... Quirky mistakes & clumsy things happen every time I eat there... It seems more effort than it's worth as so many mistakes are made & there are too many awkward dealings with the wait people.

• Visited May 2013
Amarillo, Texas
“Great Food from local growers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We drove into Las Vegas and had reservations at El Fidel for 8 for my 40th birthday! The waiter was great and actually knew quite a bit about their wine selections (they have a great list of wines for a small town) The beer drinkers in the group were pleased with the beer selection on tap and by the bottle. The food was amazing!!! We loved the Caprese Salad, Filet Mignon and Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta. They went out of their way to provide the kids in the group something they would enjoy too! EVERYONE totally enjoyed their meal, the atmosphere, the service and the desserts were wonderful. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Visited January 2013
“Surprisingly Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

While on a visit to Las Vegas, NM. It was suggested to eat at this restaurant. The outside of restaurant looks very old and not appealing but the service and the food were great. Looks are very deceiving. Apparently they were in between artist because the walls were completely blank.
We did not drink wine but they had an excellent wine menu.

Visited November 2012