“If you are hungry for a good meal, this is NOT the place”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Estella's Cafe - CLOSED

Estella's Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“If you are hungry for a good meal, this is NOT the place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

On a nostalgic whim I thought I would give this restaurant a try as my grandmother's name is Estella and she is from a small town about 30 miles outside of Las Vegas. Now Grandma Stella isn't the nicest person but she is a darn good cook which made me think this place might have some potential. I was wrong and I haven't been back since.

The best part of the meal was a guacamole salad appetizer. I ordered the green chile stew which was thickened with flour which made the texture all wrong and detracted from the flavor. My sister ordered the flautas and they were soft tacos, and her Spanish rice was dry. In addition, the service wasn't very good and the food was over priced. I would not recommend Estella's unless you are desperate.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank ooSPICY

“What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Our waiter was friendly, but the service was very slow (chips and salsa came right before the meal) and inaccurate (my dad's beef and bean burrito had no beef). My rellenos were really good (some of the best I've ever had); however, the refried beans had no body (too purred) or rich, fatty flavor (gotta use Lars!), and the Spanish rice was lumpy (interesting, if non-traditional flavor). $9 for 2 rellenos and a small portion of beans and rice seemed a bit rich. We would not go back. My dad said, after the meal, "It's not Mary and Tito's." (NM food joint in Abq.)

Sierra Vista, Arizona
“A memorable meal but for the wrong reasons”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We decided to try Estella's Cafe based on passed reviews and comments. Things have decided changed. My good friend ordered the posole, when it was delivered to our table, his first spoon full had more oil fat than food. He asked for another small bowl to drain the fat. Very disappointing experience.

• Visited July 2011
Layton Utah
“Our favorite New Mexico restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

Estella's chile rellenos are the standard all others can't beat. Freshly-roasted thick-walled peppers filled with white cheese and fried with a light batter. If you're asked "onions?" say yes! That gives you some delicious, freshly-cooked onions mashed into the top of the rellenos. Outstanding!

The chile verde can be ordered plain or with meat. Either way, it's delicious.

Denver
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

We followed our nose to some of the best New Mexico food on I-25. I had the combo plate – with Merry Christmas Chile (Red and Green on the plate) if was wonderful. The taco on the plate was made from scratch, including the shell (mouth is watering as I write), it burst full of flavor from the excellently seasoned beef. The chile relleno was just right, not to cheese, but full of the New Mexico Chile flavor. By the way, New Mexico Chile is very flavorful and robust – you become an addict while down there it is so good.
The dining room has numerous antiques, including an old Royal Crown soda dispensary behind the counter – it is bright yellow – check it out!
It is must stop for my husband and I the next time through Las Vegas.

3 Thank Susan A