“The kids wouldn't even recommend it...”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
Austin, Texas
“The kids wouldn't even recommend it...”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We booked this hotel because the reviews rating was okay, the price was okay, and the photos looked okay. Well photos and reviews can be deceiving. We got to the hotel and my first words were...ewww. The lady at the counter was nice enough at check in. Got to our room and my daughter went into the dark bathroom and there was another ewww. Turned on the lights and there was a dead baby cockroach right next to the giant cockroach she had just stepped on, with it's legs still moving. Scooped up the roaches and flushed them down the toilet. Desk lady brings in our rollaway bed and leaves it in the entrance. We look at the bed and the room and wonder how we'll use the bed since it doesn't look like it'll fit. Call the desk lady and she comes and says she's not sure how it will fit, they usually just take it to the room....okay? At this time daughter also mentions the cockroaches...desk lady must be hard of hearing...no response and she leaves...leaving us to figure out how to use the rollaway. Well, after rearranging the room, moving tables and chairs, we do barely get the rollaway to open. By this time we're wishing we had booked a different hotel. Morning wasn't too bad, watery coffee but the continental breakfast was fine. Overall wouldn't recommend this hotel...I mean Inn. Stay across the street at the Holiday Inn, we realized we had stayed there the last time we traveled, and wished we would have remembered which hotel we had stayed at so we could have booked it for this trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 19arnold65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 31, 2010

On a long road trip and did not expect to find this nice a hotel for the price. The beds looked new and comfortable. Clean room with full breakfast. Did not hear any outside noise. Very close to I 10. Looked like it had been updated. Very happy to have stayed there.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank MZZLucky
Houston, TX
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We got the walkup rate from a coupon book. There was no problem at the front desk with getting that rate. The clerk was very pleasant and agreed to let us view a sample room first. I was a little concerned because the lobby and breakfast area looked small and a bit dingy, possibly due to the harsh fluorescent light at that time of night. The rooms, however, were clean and in excellent condition -- by no means luxurious, but not at all rundown or worn. On a Monday night, no noise from the biker bar that another reviewer mentioned.

Breakfast was basic, no frills, but decent continental version. At checkout the morning clerk was just as friendly and helpful as the night before.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Austin TX
Reviewed May 21, 2009

As with my other experiences with Comfort suites, this was a nice place to stay. We made a stop during a road trip. Nice room, good breakfast, good location. Good value for money. No complaints.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Best Night Sleep.Greeted with a smile after traveling 25hrs.gave good directions and breakfast was excellent.Will recommend all friends.

• Liked — clean smell and comfortable room
  • Disliked — no comment
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CA
Reviewed July 16, 2008

This place is perfectly adequate for an overnight stay. Despite the nearby biker bar, the hotel was very quiet inside. Also, it had the best wireless internet I've ever encountered in a hotel--it never failed and it was very fast.

Still, I found myself with issues here. First, they only put two smallish pillows on each bed. This is the fewest I have ever encountered in a hotel. Second, breakfast ended at nine, which is at least 30 minutes to an hour earlier than at most Choice properties. Third, I always thoroughly inspect hotel beds and I found the sheets and mattress pad on backward on one bed. This made me wonder if the sheets were truly clean (although they were as far as I could tell). Also, it bothered me that if you just pulled up the edges of the mattress, all would look clean underneath, but if you looked in the middle, there was a hearty accumulation of dirt. Finally, a false fire alarm went off in the middle of the night when we were there. I don't know if this was a fluke or if it happens all the time here, but it was something else I've never experienced before in a hotel.

You'll survive a night here fine, but I wouldn't use it for more than that.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Mexico
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I was surprised at the nicely appointed, comfortable room. It was quiet, the breakfast was good, and the staff were very friendly. If you walk in last minute as I did it may be possible to bargain the rates down. I felt it was a good choice.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo