“Visiting New Mexico”

Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
Las Cruces, NM
“Visiting New Mexico”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here at the La Quinta and it was great, staff was excellent, and was so happy to see they were PET FRIENDLY. The breakfast area was very nice and while we stepped out for Huevos Rancheros, we had coffee and the guests were happy making waffles and having fresh juice. Clean and friendly environment. My mom is up in age and it was great to have an accommodating place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New Mexico
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was a hotel we had to use. We were in town for all state choir. We stayed in room 253, there was a slight smell, It was corner room it might have been bigger I am not sure. It has this crazy double door for the bathroom. It didn't really close all the way. Crazy setup! There were two double beds. You would think they could have rooms with queen beds. The beds were firm to firm for me. The heater was going off every five minutes.
As for the staff, some of the front desk people couldn't care less that we where there. I did have an encounter with one of the gentle men late night. Wish I got his name. He was super helpful in setting up some space for a pizza dinner. If you are coming in off I10 it is a great location but coming from ABQ it is a ways away.

Room Tip: Go next door to MC Donald's for coffee.

Travelers are raving about these Las Cruces hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I had a good experience staying here after getting off the interstate. I chose this hotel since it is close to Old Town Mesilla for sights and dining. Rick at the front desk was very helpful with directions and recommendations for Old Town.
Room was clean, comfortable & quiet. No complaints.
We used the small fitness room in the morning before breakfast; few machines but we had the room to ourselves.
Breakfast was basic but was enough before getting back on the highway.
Would stay here again or at more modern La Quinta across the road

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just for reference, there is another LaQuinta property within shouting distance, which is probably more modern and yes, it's a bit more expensive. It may have been a better choice, too.

So the pros are yes, it's pet-friendly. But the grassy area has also cut down tree trunks (uhm, why?), and it looks pretty sad in January. The other pro is a nice breakfast area which is very warm and inviting - even had a nice fire going. The breakfast is the standard LaQuinta fare (I'm not that much of a fan, but it's okay).

But the cons unfortunately outweigh the pros. As we had a dog, we were given an interior facing room which meant we had a sliding glass door out to the grassy area and pool. That was nice in theory. But I wasn't thrilled about the sliding glass door - yes, it had a bar across it, but frankly, it was still pretty insecure.

The rug, too, was very worn and it was obvious no one had cleaned it in awhile. Yes, I know - it's a pet friendly room, so what do you expect? Well, I've been staying in LQ properties in different cities and most don't have urine smelling (to my dog!) rugs that are old and just plain nasty. I know when I'm not comfortable walking barefoot that it's bad.

Then there was the issue of the plugs. You wouldn't think electrical plugs are a big deal anymore but in older hotels it really is. This place was even a bit worse than normal - a lot of the electrical plugs had blank switchplates over them. I ended up having to jerry rig my computer after finding the plug behind the nightstand.

However, the reason I give it such a low grade is the shower. All I wanted to do was take a shower and wash my hair. Is that too much to ask? Well, multiple times throughout my showering, I had to reach down to pull up the bottom plug, to let the water drain out. Otherwise, it quickly filled up and I had a combo shower and bath. Plus the shower itself was weak-willed and just didn't have decent water pressure. All in all, it was an icky experience.

If we are passing through again we will, hopefully, be in an RV and avoid all of this, but if we need a hotel, it won't be this one.

1 Thank Laura T
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This hotel has been very good for us. We come to town several times a year since we have family there. It is very convenient, clean and friendly. We stay there because the price is right, the breakfast is good and everything, including family is close by. And it is very close to Old Mesilla, which is wonderful.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Pros:
- Pet friendly with a great grassy area in the garden/pool area
- Decently modern room
- Great price
- Easy in and out for travel on I-10
- Close to old town Mesilla
- Easy access to gas stations, Starbucks, fast food etc for our travels

Cons:
- Numerous urine stains on the curtains and bed skirts. I'm a dog owner, so I get it, but this was excessive.
- Toilet seat was wet when we arrived. It looked like it'd just been wiped down and had been closed before it dried, but it was gross.
- Paper thin walls. We could hear every little bit of conversation for the couple next door at night and the next morning.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bellaire, United States
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Underwhelming first- last-time experience with this chain. Avoid this room: old/bad mattress and door lock that didn't work. No WiFi for the 2 day-stay; not corrected by apathetic staff. And if you want fruit with breakfast, better get up before 7 AM.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple