“Near Old Town Mesilla”

Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
Ottawa, Canada
“Near Old Town Mesilla”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I had a good experience staying here after getting off the interstate. I chose this hotel since it is close to Old Town Mesilla for sights and dining. Rick at the front desk was very helpful with directions and recommendations for Old Town.
Room was clean, comfortable & quiet. No complaints.
We used the small fitness room in the morning before breakfast; few machines but we had the room to ourselves.
Breakfast was basic but was enough before getting back on the highway.
Would stay here again or at more modern La Quinta across the road

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just for reference, there is another LaQuinta property within shouting distance, which is probably more modern and yes, it's a bit more expensive. It may have been a better choice, too.

So the pros are yes, it's pet-friendly. But the grassy area has also cut down tree trunks (uhm, why?), and it looks pretty sad in January. The other pro is a nice breakfast area which is very warm and inviting - even had a nice fire going. The breakfast is the standard LaQuinta fare (I'm not that much of a fan, but it's okay).

But the cons unfortunately outweigh the pros. As we had a dog, we were given an interior facing room which meant we had a sliding glass door out to the grassy area and pool. That was nice in theory. But I wasn't thrilled about the sliding glass door - yes, it had a bar across it, but frankly, it was still pretty insecure.

The rug, too, was very worn and it was obvious no one had cleaned it in awhile. Yes, I know - it's a pet friendly room, so what do you expect? Well, I've been staying in LQ properties in different cities and most don't have urine smelling (to my dog!) rugs that are old and just plain nasty. I know when I'm not comfortable walking barefoot that it's bad.

Then there was the issue of the plugs. You wouldn't think electrical plugs are a big deal anymore but in older hotels it really is. This place was even a bit worse than normal - a lot of the electrical plugs had blank switchplates over them. I ended up having to jerry rig my computer after finding the plug behind the nightstand.

However, the reason I give it such a low grade is the shower. All I wanted to do was take a shower and wash my hair. Is that too much to ask? Well, multiple times throughout my showering, I had to reach down to pull up the bottom plug, to let the water drain out. Otherwise, it quickly filled up and I had a combo shower and bath. Plus the shower itself was weak-willed and just didn't have decent water pressure. All in all, it was an icky experience.

If we are passing through again we will, hopefully, be in an RV and avoid all of this, but if we need a hotel, it won't be this one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura T

Travelers are raving about these Las Cruces hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This hotel has been very good for us. We come to town several times a year since we have family there. It is very convenient, clean and friendly. We stay there because the price is right, the breakfast is good and everything, including family is close by. And it is very close to Old Mesilla, which is wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Pros:
- Pet friendly with a great grassy area in the garden/pool area
- Decently modern room
- Great price
- Easy in and out for travel on I-10
- Close to old town Mesilla
- Easy access to gas stations, Starbucks, fast food etc for our travels

Cons:
- Numerous urine stains on the curtains and bed skirts. I'm a dog owner, so I get it, but this was excessive.
- Toilet seat was wet when we arrived. It looked like it'd just been wiped down and had been closed before it dried, but it was gross.
- Paper thin walls. We could hear every little bit of conversation for the couple next door at night and the next morning.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bellaire, United States
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Underwhelming first- last-time experience with this chain. Avoid this room: old/bad mattress and door lock that didn't work. No WiFi for the 2 day-stay; not corrected by apathetic staff. And if you want fruit with breakfast, better get up before 7 AM.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Las Cruces, N M, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We always stay here because they have lots of grassy area for our pets. Our pets HATE to use the restroom on rocks. Also, the service is very good. They need to keep up with vacuuming the hallways more regularly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Tuscola, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Lousy breafast area. Breakfast started at 6:00 by 7:30 the area looked as though it had been through a tornado! food on the floor but very little to choose from to eat! Broken waffle maker with runny waffle mix all over it. NO ONE taking care of the breakfast area at all. Dogs allowed in the breakfast area. No business center to check e-mails, etc. One of the worst experiences at a major hotel chain ever!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family