“Happy New Year!!!”

Ramada Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
“Happy New Year!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

The Ramada Palms had a New Year Party which we attended with 4 other couples and had a great time. The party was great with live music as well as a DJ during the band breaks. The curb appeal is impressive, and the lobby and public areas have great regional design and flair. The room is spacious, well designed and appointed and most of all, clean with a comfortable bed. The included breakfast was very good, with plenty of bus service to keep the dishes cleared, in a very charming dining area. We have plans to return for dinner.

• Stayed January 2011
ramadapalms, Manager at Ramada Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
On behalf of the entire Ramada Palms staff I would like to thank you for your review of our property. It is our goal to ensure that your stay with us is as comfortable as possible. The cleanliness of our guest rooms is something we take pride in and I am glad we made an impression. New Years was an exciting night and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time, as well as the breakfast the following morning.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Front Desk Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

nice sized rooms, comfortable beds, good amenities, nice restaurant

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for the review you gave of our property. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room as well as the restaurant. Our goal is to ensure that you feel like you are in a home away from home during your time with us. We do share responses such as yours with our staff.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

I really enjoied my dinner in Sabor. The stuffed pork was amazing! I had a great time that evening, the entertainment was a great choice. The rooms was comfortable, and very fresh smelling, very clean. The entire staff was very freindly and helpful. I will for sure tell freinds and family about this wonderful experience. Husband and I had a wonderful time and stay at the Las Cruces Ramada. We will be back soon!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the entire Ramada Palms staff I would like to thank you for your response. I am thrilled you enjoyed your dining experience as well as the entertainment. Our staff is dedicated to making sure your experience with us is extraordinary, and am glad to hear your encounters were pleasant.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed at the Ramada Palms (near NMSU) in October 2010 when I was called to Las Cruces on business. The hotel looks nice from the outside; when we pulled up, I thought I would be having a nice stay. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

To start off, I have to give the hotel credit for a few things. The staff is generally very friendly and helpful with most things if you ask them for advice or assistance. For instance, as I was to stay at the hotel with a professional organization that had worked out a group rate with the hotel management, I asked for this rate when I called to make reservations. On my first call, I was told that all rooms under the special rate were sold out. On a subsequent call, however, a very nice male representative (I think his name was Daniel) told me he would give me my group's special rate, despite the fact that the entire block of rooms was sold out. My check-in experience was very nice as well; I was given several useful pieces of advice, as well as some coupons and suggestions as to restaurants and other attractions. I was also very pleased to find when I got to the hotel that they offer a free breakfast every morning in the lobby. That was not advertised in the materials I had received before traveling there, and it was a pleasant surprise. The weekday breakfast is really not much to write home about--it basically consists of a couple of types of cold cereal, some cheap breads and pastries, fruit, coffee and juice--but it's free and saves guests time and money. On the weekend, they add scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon to the continental breakfast buffet, which is a nice touch. They also offer free wireless internet in guestrooms, which was likewise a welcome addition for business travelers. I should also add that I ate at the hotel's restaurant one night, and my companions and I all thought the food was quite good--it is fairly reasonably priced has an authentic 'southwest' flavor to it.

My main complaint with this hotel was my room. While I did not have the dreadful experience others have complained of on this site, a few unpleasant things did happen. First, I was given a room that faced into the center courtyard of the hotel, opposite the reception desk. If you stay the Ramada, my advice is to refuse any room that faces into the center patio. Most hotel guests, I have found, are unconcerned with anyone's comfort other than their own, and during my stay other guests were screaming and yelling and splashing in the pool until very late in the evening. The gentleman who checked me in assured me that the hotel turned off the central piped-in music at 10pm every night, but that did not stop other guests from making indecent amounts of noise. On the Saturday night of my stay, there was a wedding taking place at the Ramada, and even though it was on the opposite side of the hotel from my room, I could still hear the blasting music until well after 11pm. This noisy atmosphere did not happen once, but every night I was there.

The second major problem I noticed was that every time I took a bath and poured enough water into the tub to get comfortable, the tub would leak all over the bathroom floor. At first, I thought I was splashing around too much, but the water was gushing out of a crack at the bottom of the tub. I ended up having to use all of my towels to sop up the gallons of water that drained out every single night of my stay. I'm sure the maids wondered what I had been doing to have all of the towels soaking wet every morning, but that's all I could think of to do to avoid walking around in 2 inches of water!

The last problem I had with the Ramada is that the hotel in general seemed to have a 'dinginess' and state of disrepair about it. My room smelled vaguely of mold, but it wasn't strong enough for me to complain about it. The carpet in my room appeared rather dirty and had buckled in at least 4 or 5 different spots that I noticed--I tripped over one of these "bubbles" more than once. The towels put in my room were tiny (none of them fit around my body, and I am not a huge person) and had all sorts of rips and tears in them, to the point that they would almost come apart as I dried myself off. The air conditioning in the rooms, while very effective, is the loudest A/C system I have ever heard. (Of course, I ended up having to keep the loud fan in my room running nonstop all night long to drown out the absurd amount of noise coming from the center courtyard.) As you walk through the hotel, it does not have a "clean" feel or smell to it; it feels sort of as if you're in a very cheap beachfront hotel in some impoverished country. A final insult was the fact that, as far I was able to tell, the hotel does not have elevators. I suppose that means that all disabled guests are required to stay on the ground floor. After a long day of traveling to get to Las Cruces, it was very frustrating to have to lug heavy suitcases up a flight of stairs to get to my room.

My group worked out a rate of about $75 for single rooms at this hotel, and I think that's just about what these rooms are worth--but certainly not any more. If I had paid the hotel's normal advertised rate of over $100/night, I would have felt incredibly cheated. With all of the problems the hotel has, including the lack of any sort of decor beyond what you found find at a Motel 6, you really do get what what you pay for here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank immerliebe
ramadapalms, Front Office Manager at Ramada Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
I truly apologize for the noise levels and concerns about the property which you had during your recent stay. It is our goal to not only meet the expectations of all of our guests but exceed those expectations.We are striving to meet all recomendations that we recieve from guests.I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly, please feel free to contact the hotel and asked to be transferred to my extension. Thank you again for notifying us of these issues.

Sincerly
Paul J. Romero
Front Desk Manager
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

This hotel looks nice from the outside and has a nice reception area, but we had a seriously uncomfortable stay. About an hour after checking in to our room (which was relatively spacious, but otherwise boring and decorated only slightly above a "Motel 6" style), we noticed that there was water dripping from the light fixture above the countertop and sink in the bathroom! We called the front desk, and instead of moving us to another vacant room (and there were plenty), they said that they would send hotel maintenance by in a little while. We then went to dinner (assuming it would be fixed), and upon returning after dinner went to bed.

Shortly after going to bed, the air conditioning stopped working (the high was over 100F that day, so it was still hot). And unbeknownst to us (the lights were off in the room), the leaking water above the sink/counter in the bathroom increased and began to leak from 4 or 5 places above the counter, soaking all of our belongings that were on the counter (toothbrushes, toiletries, etc.). Apparently, the A/C had frozen up and dropped condensed water onto the counter. We noticed that there was a sign on the A/C thermostat warning guests not to set the thermostat below 68F or the system could freeze up, but we never set it below 78F.

The temperature in the room stayed about 85F overnight and we had a sweaty, unpleasant evening and little sleep. That room should not be rented to any guests. And there seems to be deferred maintenance in the other parts of the hotel, too. For example, the stairways were shabby, dimly-lit, and not air-conditioned, forcing people to lug their belongings up stairs in 90F or so temperatures.

When we complained at check-out, the manager on duty apologized that we weren't moved to another room, reduced the rate by $20 and promised to e-mail me a voucher for a free night on the next stay , but he never followed through with this promise. Not that I care, because I would never stay there again, even for free. This was the worst hotel experience I've had in years.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank cyberluddite
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

Stopped after long day on road. Great rate. 2 story atrium style hotel - lots of dark wood and polished Mexican tile floors. Quiet. Some shops inside atrium. I even think there was a car rental place in there. I think ll rooms enter off atrium. Nice rooms - clean and comfortable. Had a fridge in the room. Robe also. Had a thermostat controlled ac in room instead of one of those lousy wall units below the window. Convenience store just off parking lot. Although we only stayed for one night this looks like a place to stay if you are visiting for several days. Free breakfast - typical continental.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

One night stop over on my way back to San Antonio. Right off of the interstate - easy on and off. Pleasant experience overall. Staff a bit disengaged, an older property and the "Hot Free Breakfast" was, at best, a joke, but it was good for one night. Used travle ponts, so my night wa comped. Not sure if i would have selected this hotel if I had to pay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family