“Big Chili Inn - Family owned and a gem in not pretty part of town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Big Chile Inn

The Big Chile Inn
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
Winston-Salem,NC
“Big Chili Inn - Family owned and a gem in not pretty part of town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Can't miss the Big Chili - Greeted by Dave, naative Austrailian who ended up here by way of CT., who offered us a complimentary water or soda and salsa and chips - How about that!!!
Stayed at this Hotel in Las Cruces for three days - when we pulled in we were hesitant as the area is not attractive- kind of industrial and the older part of town. However- once you enter the Hotel- it all changes.
First of all, join Value Club to get the reduced room rate. Second, ask for a room facing the pool area which rivals a resort. It is an oasis- Koi pond, wonderful flowers and plants- gazebos- fitpit, grills for your use-seating areas - just wonderful.
Rooms are spotless - refrig. and micro with air that worksquietly and great.
Continental breakfast in the lobby was average.

Room Tip: Join Value Club for great rate - get a room facing the pool
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Outlanders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
El Paso
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our experience at the Big Chile hotel was nothing short of excellent in every way. Expecting a regular ABVI, nice but nothing outstanding, we knew that all the great reviews we had seen were correct. David greeted us for check in, and was gracious, funny and welcoming in the first 5 minutes. We half-jokingly asked him if he had a set of ratchet tools, as we had had a minor parts issue with our car on the way in. To our surprise, he had a set! The room was another great surprise.....these rooms have the appearance of a much higher priced hotel - nice sheets and towels, quality photography on the walls instead of hotel art, and spottlessly clean and neat. The highlight of the hotel is Elina's garden "Our Australian-Desert Garden"....she has turned the courtyard into a paradise with a koi pond and beautiful, unusual plants. They have firepits, grills, gazebos and seating areas scattered throughout the area. We cannot say enough about how impressed we were with the quality, price, and hospitality of this hotel. Highly, highly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: Many of the rooms overlook the garden area. Elina had originally put us in one, but we asked for on...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellyn B
Friendswood, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were just looking for a place to crash after a long drive. The room was not great but still above average. The service was great. The attendants were very courteous, prompt and helpful. We would stay here again next time we drive through Las Cruces.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Greg L
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I arrived to the Big Chile hotel and was greeted warmly and promptly by the management who gave me complimentary bottles of water, hand-walked me to my room, and even checked the bathroom and closets for cleanliness. I was given a room rate that was even lower than I found online and has such a pleasant stay. the property is lovely with copious amounts of plants and greenery along with a few covered areas to sit by the pool. this hotel will be on my list for future places to stop and stay. 5 stars!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Sarah L
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

This motel is a fantastic place to be. A friend and I were house hunting, and were got into Las Cruces around 11:30. We called ahead and were promptly given a rate. When we got in, service was (again) prompt and fantastic. We had a short tour, and were shown to our rooms - not given directions, shown. At 11:30 PM.

The rooms themselves are a little sub-par. This motel has seen a lot of years, and it sometimes shows. The layout is an older style, and they lacked a few things usually seen in a motel (like a clock. That was a little odd). Further, the showerheads are very, very low. I am around 6'8", and I had to practically bend in half to shower. However, they are generously apportioned with a large minifridge (big enough to hold a pizza box), nice microwave oven, and flat-panel TV.

While the rooms may not be the best things in the world, the atmosphere of this motel more than makes up for it. The owners are very hands-on, and you will see them doing practically everything through the day (and night). This care for their business shows through, especially in how they have manged to make such a unique place. The courtyard is a great place to spend some downtime, with an amazing number of plants, both native and not (as well as a Koi pond, which is strangely relaxing). The lobby has more than a few interesting tidbits, and has various foods (both snack and more substantial) available for reasonable prices. And, of course, how can you not mention the giant chile out front? It makes this motel easy to spot, if nothing else. And that's helpful when you're tired from a long day on the town.

In the end, I would recommend this motel to nearly anyone. The prices are very reasonable, the rooms are functional (and fairly comfortable), and the atmosphere is simply the best I've ever seen. It won't make any luxury list anytime soon, but it has the most character and some of the best service I've ever received.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Timothy T
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Very pleasant to be greeted by your hostess, escorted to your room and brought chips and salsa The room was very clean. The bathroom was a little worn and needs a bit of work, but overall the room was pleasantly decorated and inviting. The courtyard with its koi pond and sculptures was a bonus. The pool didn't appear to be filled as high as it should, but some kids were splashing around and having fun. One tip for the owners: the curtains are too long and impede airflow from the a/c beneath them. I was able to pin up with some clothespins I carry with me and this helped.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MeredithMN
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is a bit of a tired old motel - it's had a lot of use. As noted, the owners are super chill , friendly, cool. The quirkiness of the hotel definitely adds to the charm. The lobby is very unique, with a grand piano even! Very cool. And as noted, the massive chili out front adds to the charm.

What I wasn't thrilled about was the bed. It was one of the worst beds I think I have ever slept on. To me, I generally only sleep in a hotel room. I want a good night's sleep. This mattress was plain horrible.....I did not sleep well. The sheets seem to need to be replaced as well.

I do love a good bang for my buck, but I'd probably spend a little bit more and stay at a little nicer place. I've slept much better in my tent and sleeping pad than I did on that mattress.

If you're looking for budget accommodation w/ cool owners and some quirkiness/character, this might work for you. Maybe the bed in my room was just a one-off.

Some reviews commented on the location -- I felt it was completely safe and I had no issues with it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple