“Service”

Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
SAN ANGELO
“Service”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Older motel, older rooms with older furniture. Great atmosphere and service including salsa and chips delivered to the room. In my opinion, the atmosphere, the room price and the service more than made up for the dated room and furnishings.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HAROLD B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cheyenne
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The owner of the Big Chili motel was really nice and helpful, but the room was less than what it should be. The phone was an empty shell (and dirty), there was no hair dryer, and the breakfast was spartan. It was cheap, but in this case, you got what you paid for.

Room Tip: Courtyard-side of the motel is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I work at a hotel myself, so I can't help but notice small details when I have to stay somewhere. When my husband and I arrived at Big Chile Inn, we were not expecting too much as the room was very inexpensive (under $60). But immediately upon entering the lobby, we realized we had stumbled upon something quite nice. The owners are incredibly friendly and accommodating, the rooms are very clean and cozy, and the koi pond is absolutely beautiful. I was also especially fond of all of the plants, indoors and out, and the fact that many of them were labelled. It is a wonderful place to relax and for the price, you just can't beat it. Next time I'm staying in Las Cruces, I will be coming back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chantal T
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I recently stayed at the Big Chili, it was my second time staying there. As with the first time, I found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and offers several unique things. First, we are always greeted by the owners and they show you to your room. I mean who does that?? They make sure you will like that room, etc. Nice touch. Then they bring you a plate of chips and salsa. Fun!

The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds are comfortable. The bathroom/closet area is interesting for a hotel, but super spacious and a nice set up for multiple people sharing a space. The rooms are quiet and I always slept well.

One of my favorite things is the garden/courtyard area. The owners work hard on this area filling it with local plants, trees, flowers, etc. There is a small waterfall and pond with choi, very nice. There is also a swimming pool for people.

This place may not be the Ritz and you may not get giant terry cloth robes in your room . . . But it is unique. The courtyard with plants and fish, the brightly colored towels in your room and the chips and salsa delivered to you are all examples. But the most unique thing is how the owners make you feel when you stay there . . . welcome and as a guest, not just a paying customer.

Room Tip: Definately have a room that faces the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shonda O
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Three of us stayed there four nights. We had adjoining rooms on the second level overlooking the Koi pond. One of the owners personally escorted us to the rooms--as they do for all guests. They brought us chips and salsa. The trip was personal, sad, and stressful because of a family issue. At the end of each day, I relaxed returning to the room, letting the doors stand open in the spring weather and watching the Koi. The courtyard area is imaginatively planted and scrupulously maintained by the owners. The Koi pond is beautiful. The rooms aren't luxury and the facility is older. However all was clean and comfortable. Forget your wine bottle opener? They have it. We called upon them several times for comfort items. I personally loved the fluffy towels in bright colors. There is a modest breakfast bar. The owners, the Koi, the grounds and the spacious rooms made a real difference for us. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can tote your own luggage up a flight of stairs, I recommend the second level with courtyard...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank soderkirk
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is owned by an Aussie man and Asian woman, and they have brought pieces of themselves to the property. The courtyard is an Australian-inspired garden with a big Koi fish statue, and the world's largest chili pepper statue is on the front parking lot. The owners are very friendly as well. Aside from that, the hotel is a typical America's Best Inn - older rooms, but clean and comfortable. It was a different kind of experience. I enjoyed staying here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank dbgt8401
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I thought when I saw the big chili pepper in the parking lot that I was in for something tacky. Not at all! The owner sent her daughter (?) to the room while I checked in. Then she personally took me to the room where the girl had turned the lights, air conditioning and TV on -- very welcoming. She gave me a complementary bottle of water (great after driving across the desert all day). Then she brought a plate of chips and salsa to the room. I have never felt so relaxed after a long day. The grounds are full of little surprises, gardens, statuettes. The inner courtyard is peaceful and overlooks a koi pond. The building is old, obviously, which means things like there are no outlets in the bathroom area -- none! So I used my curling iron in the bedroom. But SUPER CLEAN, and everyone is friendly. When my son came to pick me up, we did a tour to find a smiling buddha, the koi, the gazebo, the pool. He even liked it! If you want fancy luxury, it won't work, but if you want a clean, inexpensive place to relax with pleasant people eager to make you feel welcome, this is it.

Room Tip: I'd ask for one inside because it's right on a busy motel road. The only problem with getti...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo