“Nice hotel, but poor AC and noisy!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Nice hotel, but poor AC and noisy!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Initially, we were very pleased with the hotel as it was very clean with polite staff and modern amenities (granite countertops, great bed, etc). After a nice afternoon shopping and eating in the quaint town of Mesilla (just a few miles away), we were ready to hit the sheets. We were very disappointed to find that the air conditioning just shuts off periodically for no apparent reason. We called the front desk in the middle of the night to ensure the AC was set correctly and the concierge said, "Yea, it just does that. I think it's because it's 'green' or something." We were also super annoyed by the thin walls and poor noise insulation as we heard screaming children through the night. Last small annoyance, they didn't have a vending machine for snacks, so don't come here hungry.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dana L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed here on a road trip from San Francisco to Austin on our second night stop. Nice spacious rooms, with comfortable beds and very clean. Only drawback was the noise of trains through the night. Kept waking us up. Also AC unit is noisy. Convenient to highway and while we skipped breakfast they had a good assortment of items.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 808AlwaysSunny
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear 808AlwaysSunny,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the room and the location of the hotel. However, we are sincerely sorry for the issues you had with the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed at this Holiday inn Express for three nights in July. We chose this hotel so it would be close to Truth or Consequences and Carlsbad Caverns. It was very easy on/off highway and to downtown. Gas station was also located next door.

Hotel seemed like it was a newer hotel and was very clean.

The front desk clerk when we checked in seemed to rush us, even though there was no one else waiting. When I asked for a complimentary upgrade he replied that is only for their "elite?" guests. But, i could have an upgrade if I wanted to pay more. (Well, why then wouldn't I have paid more when I first booked if I wanted an upgraded room? - Other hotels let you have complimetary upgrades if available. He wasn't the friendliest person.

Our room consisted of two queen beds, apartment size refrigerator, small microwave and a small counter area and sink. Room was clean and we had enough counter space for storing all our belongings.

Unfortunately, after waking the first night we found ants everywhere in the cabinets where we stored our food. Alot of our food had to be thrown out..including our Krispy Kreme boxes of donuts we bought for the next two days! The ants really enjoyed them!

I called down to the front desk as soon as I saw them and the same unfriendly man at the desk was friendlier this time and said he would move our room and upgrade us. We moved ourselves about 10 minutes later to a higher floor with a new room that had the same microwave and refrigerator, but it had a large sitting area, sleeper sofa, coffee table, and much larger two bedroom area. It also had a ceiling fan and I think a larger desk.

Breakfast consisted of make your own pancakes, fresh fruit, cinnamon rolls, english muffins, breads, cereals, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy..standard Holiday Inn foods.

Overall, the price was fair for the hotel, the location was good for downtown and highway location, and it was clean.

Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that had already been treated for ants, as we later found out after they treat a room, the ants move to another room and it starts all over. We were originally on the 2nd floor, but were moved to the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has already been treated for the ant problem.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Easy to relax and unwind. Rooms nice size. Comfy beds, fluffy comforters, very clean. Inside pool is awesome with jacuzzi, sauna, and outdoor sitting area. Maids and staff professional and friendly. Only con is the overbearing foo foo flowery smell upon entering but thankfully its just the front area.

• Stayed July 2012
Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stay here several times a year. The staff are friendly and helpful. I stay at a number of HIE and this is the most consistent and well maintained. A little train noise but other than that no complaints

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Haugesund, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The hotel in itself is great, with great rooms, bathrooms and breakfast room. The location however, is not good. Located next to a big and buisy intersection, which also has a railroad next to it, makes the noise from outside quite loud in the room during the night. The trains even honked their horns in the middle of the night.
Would have given this hotel top score if not for the location, and also because of the indoor pool - which was not very clean, and had tiny ants on the floor next to the doors outside. Was bitten when I sat down next to the doors. Would have loved an outdoors pool in stead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

To start off with, before I could get inside the hotel I was asked if I would like to 'party' with some girls. No thanks, but I did call the local police. There are about 5 other hotels all nearby, & they were making the rounds.

The HIX is actually a very nice property, inside @ out. My main complaint, just like the reviewer below me, is the a/c. I checked in, the room was hot. Turned down the thermostat, went to dinner, came back 1 1/2 hrs later, room still hot. And, just like the other reviewer, it stops in the middle of the night. I got up 3 times to re-start it. It's a shame, as the people are nice, & property appears to be well-maintained. I don't know how much $ management saves by using the horrible motion detector, but I can guarantee you it's not $100 a night, which is what they're not getting from me tonight. I switched hotels.

Also, I don't understand why this property is listed as a b&b instead of a hotel. I know there is another HIX in Las Cruces, which is listed as a hotel. Seems that tripadvisor needs to change the classification.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Cryoking
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Cryoking,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and maintenance of our property.

However, We’re sorry about the air conditioning and the prostitution outside the hotel. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.