“One of a kind!” 5 of 5 stars

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“One of a kind!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Call ahead for an appointment, as there are no set open hours. Luckily, even though our stop there was unplanned, we called and were let right in. We found out about the place from the New Mexico welcome center on the I-10 just west of Texas. We randomly decided to stop and see the actual jail cell bars (built into a full scale replica) of the cell that housed Billy the Kid. Little did we know how many trinkets, art, and treasures would be found at Gadsden Museum.

BUT NO PICTURES

The curator is a woman directly descended from the original proprietor. She was very knowledgeable and kind. I was sad to have to put my camera away for the $5 tour, but with so many things you can ONLY see there, I understand why. There is a newspaper from Lincoln's assassination, antique instruments and uniforms, hand-sewn clothing, dainty tea sets, the first African American baby doll and other special dolls, old family bibles and other religious artifacts, and the art... OH THE ART! I cannot even describe the beauty and authenticity of the beautiful paintings created by her ancestors depicting historic events and spiritual concepts. I was blown away.

My sister is really not a "museum person" and she enjoyed every moment of the time-traveling experience. I am a museum lover and it surpassed my expectations. This place is amazing.

Only caution - lots of things are left exposed (though you're not supposed to touch), so bringing small children may not be a good idea.

It is just around the corner from La Posta de Mesilla, a wonderful restaurant. (see review)

Visited March 2012
10 Thank freedomishonesty

Las Cruces, New Mexico
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Interesting history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

A must see, if you can find it open. Mary died a while back and I do not know if it is open. Family history-The Fountan's

4 Thank duepplestrasse5-7
Escondido
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Very informative, guided private tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

575-526-6293 call Mary. This is a fantastic old house, part of which is a crammed full museum of the history of Mesilla. The hostess lives in the house with her son, and gives tours. She has a bit of everything and tells a great story of her family history. Furniture, art, jewlery, religous artifacts, pictures, just everything. This is a special place, not the toy factory people bring kids to. While reservations are not required, an advance appointement or check, will insure you will not be disappointed. Tour is 1 1/2 hours, or to your needs. . We stayed longer, as we were fasinated. The address is 1875 W Boutz.

Visited June 2011