“Steak for lunch”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

When shopping in Las Cruces, we always plan to have our lunch at the Cattle Baron Restaurant. We order a nice steak with a side of grilled tomatoes. It comes with a small loaf of bread. We both order this meal with iced tea, and our bill and tip is around $25.00. Very nice atmosphere and knowledeable and friendly staff. We look forward to our trips to Las Cruces to enjoy a nice steak dinner at a nice place.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Checked Travel Advisor for restaurants near our hotel. Reviews of the one's close by were not great so we decided to travel the extra distance to try the Cattle Baron. It lived up to the reviews. Large salad was great. I ordered the 8 oz prime rib with hesitation. The other steaks were to large and my experience with prime rib is that it ends up about 40% fat. Not the case here, there was very little waste. Great value.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We go here often. We share a 16 oz sirloin steak and order an extra salad bar. Baked potato is large enough to share. The steak is always cooked to perfection. The salad bar has a very good selection- even including 2 soups and dessert. Service is great- water glasses filled promptly and dishes cleared as they are emptied.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stopped here for dinner on our way west. We went early and the place was pretty empty but it was a Monday night. I had the small prime rib cut and my husband had their special CB burger (without the b-b-q sauce). We both had the salad bar.

Our waitress was attentive to the point of pushiness when we first got there but I think it was because it was just before 5PM and they have an early bird menu and I think she wanted to make sure if we wanted something off that, she could get it ordered in time.

We both thought the salad bar was terrific. Everything was absolutely fresh. The only thing missing was bacon bits, but there were other more unusual items to select from. My husband had the jalapeno ranch dressing and he raved about it.

My prime rib was tender and done to my order. My baked potato was good, too. My husband's burger looked good and he said it was delicious. But his fries had been sitting far to long in the kitchen and were limp and yucky.

The restaurant looks nice, the staff and manager were always there when we needed them and it was a choice for dinner.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nice salad bar, if you like to make your own salads. Pretty nice place for a drink in the bar and a varied menu and the place is comfortable.