“One of the best in Las Cruces”

Habanero's Fresh Mex
Ranked #15 of 398 Restaurants in Las Cruces
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

I started coming to this restaurant when they first opened at a very small location on Solano. Later they moved to this much larger location on Amador. The signature “welcome soup” is always a delightful way to waken your tastebuds before the main dish arrives. They don’t use lard and it shows; the food is much lighter on the stomach than at so many other Mexican joints. The seafood dishes are excellent. Now they have a vegan section on the menu but I’m not vegan so I can’t speak to the quality of that.

1  Thank Stephen P

Reviewed May 15, 2018 via mobile

We were staying overnight in Las Cruces and decided to check out this locally owned establishment. The food was excellent and so was the service. I have nothing but positive things to say and I recommend checking it out

Reviewed April 6, 2018 via mobile

Had a great lunch here! A beautiful Adobe style building. You order up at the register and the food is brought to you. The staff is very friendly and the food is delicious. A fideo and bean soup is complimentary and chips and salsa are 1.99 paired with a side salad and the meal it was a feast! Loved it!

Reviewed March 22, 2018

We were in Las Cruces for 2 days visiting relatives and we all went to this restaurant for lunch today. In a word, excellent. It is small and old, but with a nice ambiance. You order at the counter and the orders are brought to your table.

After we ordered, we were served complimentary "welcome!' soup, which was a very good bean/noodle soup. Our meals were excellent. I had a grilled chicken quesadilla, which was sizable, very well-prepared and presented, and one of the better quesadillas I've had. My wife had beef flautas and was very enthusiastic about them.

While I didn't pay close attention to the meals the other three in our party ordered, I did notice that whatever they ordered was gone in short order.

A gentleman who I thought perhaps was the owner brought our soup and came over later to check on things, and was very pleasant.

We plan to return to this restaurant at the first opportunity.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

Always in search of the chili verde burrito (well a great one). This one came close to the "ultimate" idea of the chili verde but didn't quite measure up to a couple of other restaurants that I've. tried. This place you walk up to the counter and order what you want. The burrito they offer has guac, pico de gallo and your choice of meat but we wanted to have it smothered and add pinto beans on the inside. The basic is about $6 but when you say smothered, add beans the price adds up quickly. They serve you at the table you chose and you also get a free cup of soup. The soup today was pinto beans with short noodles. Never had noodles in pinto beans but the soup was delicious. The menu offers vegan/vegetarian meals