“A great little restaurant!”

Habanero's Fresh Mex
Ranked #21 of 382 Restaurants in Las Cruces
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is a tiny little place that packs powerful punch with taste! The food was super fresh and extremely flavorful they start you off with some welcome bean soup - wonderful and different. Then we had some green chili queso which was terrific. The fish tacos were delicious and my tostada was super fresh. Really great clean food!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This place is a jewel in the rough. Yes, the parking lot is a former drive-in, but they do have a small sit-down area inside and a bathroom (labeled Bano), accessible from the back of the place. I ate lunch there and then dinner later that same day. Had the mole enchiladas for lunch, carne asada burrito for dinner. On the latter I ordered green chile and a side order of red (good call for I got the best of both). I would have bought his sauce to take back on the plane but it would have been confiscated by TSA and I did not have the time to ship it to me. He told me he is in the process of making them available on line. Friendly man, wonderful food, clean restaurant. Sure, the place does not have the ambiance of La Posta, but unlike La Posta in Las Cruces, this food is awesome (btw, La Posta seems more of a tourist trap). If I am ever back in Las Cruces, I will plan my meals around this place. They also have take out.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Chicken mole enchiladas were super. Owner makes everyone feel welcome. Prices make it a super bargain. Don't be put off by the fact it is in an old drive in. Can't wait until our next trip through La's Cruces.

1  Thank jcjr2
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We were traveling from Albuquerque to San Antonio, but taking our time and looking for good food along the way. As we approached Las Cruces we saw the great reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to take the detour off the Interstate. Habaneros is in an old drive-up hamburger stand, maybe an old 1950's Sonic. The Chef/Owner Alfredo Felix has cleaned it up and made it adorable. During our visit we enjoyed fresh Hatch Chiles made for us by Chef Felix - very spicy and excellent. But the highlight of this visit was meeting and talking to Chef Felix. A very engaging man. He offered to buy our lunch back and eat it himself if we did not enjoy it. Not a chance, we ate it all. The place is not fancy, but it is very clean.

1  Thank David D
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have to thank all the reviewers who have posted reviews ahead of me for helping me find the best Mexican food possible in Las Cruses. I was in the middle of a long day of driving from Tucson to Carlsbad and need some great food. When I searched for a New Mexican restraurant Habeneros got great reviews and so I invested my short time in Las Cruses by stopping here.

The meal was fantastic. I arrived at 2:00 pm and the restaurant was still full with a good size crowd. I looked at the menu and the choices looked great. I was having a tough time deciding until a peaked in the dining room and saw the Arroz da Cameron, it looked absolutely great.

This dish is prepared with shrimp and zucchini on a bed of rice, which is then smothered in Green Chile and then sprinkled with cheese. This dish was simply amazing. The portion of shrimp was generous, the zucchini was cooked perfectly and the green chile added the heat. It was fresh and very tasty.

I also got to try the chicken enchiladas in mole and they were absolutely delicious as well. The mole sauce had a for eat flavor, and my daughter ate the full plate of enchiladas, except for the two bites that I stole for taste testing.

We completed the meal with the churro as others have mentioned in their reviews. The caramel churro was my favorite, but the regular churro was delicious as well.

The restaurant was clean, and well run. At the end of our meal the crowd had died down and we had a chance to visit with the chef. He is a delightful man and you can see his passion for the food and for pleasing his customers.

I wish I lived closer so that I could return to Habeneros more frequently.