“Mesilla Village is a perfect afternoon trip”

Old Mesilla Village
Ranked #4 of 56 things to do in Las Cruces
Reviewed March 2, 2011

If you are staying in, or even passing through Las Cruces, we highly recommend a quick stop in the Mesilla Village. Other reviewers have noted that it can be difficult to find parking after lunch, however we were there on a rather gusty Saturday afternoon and did not have any trouble finding street parking in front of the Fountain Theater. Everything is fairly compact with most shops located on the square, opposite the San Albino Catholic Church. The best store we discovered was Nambe - where David helped us choose some fantastic silverware and then gave us a military discount. I love a store that supports the military! We were lucky enough to duck into the San Albino Church right after Saturday mass, but our friends tried a couple of hours later and found the doors locked. It is hard to go wrong with the restaurants on the square, but we had lunch at La Posta and loved both the food and the service. This is a fun trip for adults and kids, especially considering the history with Billy the Kid and the ambiance of New Mexico that is all around.

3  Thank Gymgirltravels
in 10 reviews
"mesilla plaza"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed June 1, 2010

While spending a couple of days in Las Cruces at the end of April, I visited Mesilla. Although it was very windy (gusts of 45 mph or more) and I got sand-blasted as I walked around the plaza, I really enjoyed looking in the shops. Several shopkeepers thanked me for braving the weather conditions and coming out. I bought several items – now I have to decide what will be gifts and what will be keepsakes for us. At Zia's, I got a necklace for my 93-year-old grandmother. She wears a necklace every day but can't fool with clasps so it has to go over her head. The one I bought reminds me of the button necklaces we made as kids, but this one was made by a Navajo lady using square beads of turquoise and other materials. The shop owner called it the Chiclet Necklace because the squares look like those square pieces of gum. I loved this town and wish I'd had more time to visit because I'm sure there was more to it than I saw on that very windy day!

2  Thank Travelers_from_AL
Reviewed November 12, 2009

The visitors Center in Mesilla was very helpful, courteous and had free parking! The plaza is historic, quaint and a nice tourist area. However, the church was great. The priest was very friendly, helpful, and the inside of the church is wonderful!

2  Thank Artie44
Reviewed July 28, 2009

This is a must see old village if you enjoy shopping and some local flavor. It is always best to get there early in the morning before the lunch hour. As parking is limited in this small shopping square. I believe shops tend to open around 10am. You must visit Peppers (inside the Double Eagle Restaurant) for lunch or dinner. They having amazing tortilla soup and great Mexican food. I travel to Las Cruces just to eat at Peppers and shop in Old Mesilla Village.

4  Thank Meghanne F
See more reviews
Reviewed March 6, 2009

I've been to Old Mesilla in Mesilla Valley twice and it's wonderful. There's a beautiful old church and the surrounding neighborhoods are pretty too.
On Sunday mornings there are vendors out selling odds and ends (mostly jewelry & other art).
One store you MUST go into is Lulu's. When you're facing away from the church it will be on your left. It's full of hilarious things--think Spencer's but WAY less trashy.
Another good store is Del Sol. Clothing, jewelry, and other tourist-y things.
Another thing to do while in Mesilla valley is drive around a bit and see the pecan trees & pecan farms.

4  Thank newb85

Been to Old Mesilla Village? Share your experiences!