“Has Gone Downhill Lately”

The Pecan Grill and Brewery
Ranked #20 of 380 Restaurants in Las Cruces
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Has Gone Downhill Lately”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at De La Vega's twice in the past month and both times it was just so-so. It used to be much better. I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer who said that management needs to do a better job of training the hostesses. Our hostess took us to our table, just laid the menus and the napkin/silverware rolls on the table and walked away. She didn't even put the menus and silverware at each place at the table - she just dumped it all in the middle of the table and walked off. She didn't even say "So and so will be your server and will be with you in a minute."

We watched several other customers being seated and this hostess did exactly the same thing so you saw customers basically having to set their own tables. After that the service was mediocre at best. We weren't even asked if we wanted bread and we had to ask. The food was just OK and the portions smaller than what we had been served there on previous visits.

The waitress was not attentive, and we are not very demanding customers. For a place that presents itself as trendy and somewhat upscale this is totally unacceptable. It's not a cheap meal at De La Vega's so the service should be top notch.

This is in total contrast to our experience at The Outback the following night. Even though I would consider Outback to be not as "upscale" as De La Vega's, the service was terrific and the hostess was very pleasant, set our place settings for us and let us know who our server was and made sure we were settled. It's obvious she has had good training. Take note De La Vega's.

• Visited February 2013

Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Not comming back in a long time”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

The food came out cold and unappetizing to look at. The waitress was busy socializing with one of the other tables. I don't not walked out too happy. Other times the service has been great I guess it was just our waitress.

Tucson, Arizona
“Train your hostesses properly, please.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was our second visit. We've enjoyed the food on both occasions. If you love New Mexico green chiles, the menu does a nice job of celebrating this ingredient. Our waiter was attentive, friendly and professional. It's a shame that the group of hostesses at the front of house did not exhibit his level of professionalism.

I'm not sure why restaurants do not train their hostesses as well as they train their waitstaff. A welcoming smile and an attitude that expresses that the hostess is happy to see the customer is very important, because this person is the company's first contact with the customer. I'd like to give this place a higher rating, but as a former restaurant hostess, I simply can't at this time.

• Visited December 2012
San Carlos, CA
“Limited Menu for Holiday”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We went on Thanksgiving Day. Very smart--they limited selections so that they could give good service on the holiday. Excellent meal--complete with desert. Had very good selection for children. Pecan pie was amazing! They grill with pecan wood. If you have a tree nut allergy, I would forgo this restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
“Very pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This opened a year before I would try it. I am sorry that I waited.
Enjoyed dinner with a group,in the middle oS the week. Our choices were varied,steak,chicken seafood and all was fixed to perfection. I truly dislike grilled asparagus to be burned or over cooked,they did it without charring or burning.
Service was excellent and I recommend this business.

Visited December 2012