“nice atmosphere, horrible food, horrible service”
Review of NM Grille & Bar - CLOSED

NM Grille & Bar
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tom, Jerean, and their son Christopher have teamed up to bring a new and exciting dining and lodging experience to Old Mesilla and the Mesilla Valley. The family has a rich history as the owners of the historic La Posta De La Mesilla, one of the oldest and most recognized restaurants in the southwest, dating back to 1939. With the acquisition of the Hacienda de Mesilla Grille, Inn & Cantina, the Hutchinsons believe visitors to Mesilla will enjoy the comfort and elegance of a stay in a southwestern Hacienda, while being just steps from enjoying the history and culture of Old Mesilla. The Hacienda Inn, Grille & Cantina is uniquely designed to offer an inviting, relaxed atmosphere where guests can enjoy a casual, yet elegant dining experience. Dine in our more formal Grille Room or in the casual atmosphere of the Hacienda Cantina indoors or outdoors, with spectacular views from the Cantina Terrace.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Recently, my neighborhood group and I dined there (14 in our group) We had basically slow service (over 2 hours for dinner) The sea bass was good, cooked perfectly, but the side dishes were sub par. The sauteed spinach had way too much garlic, and the rice was very average. One in our party had veal marsala, which arrived overcooked and swimming in a pool of grease. The prices are too high for this, and not justified by serving lack luster food. I do not plan to return here.

4  Thank cindalala

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We went there to celebrate our birthdays. After we had a fabulous meal in the restaurant, we went up on the roof, where we had the owner, Cali serenading us in fine style, while we sipped our favorite libation under the stars, with the view of Las Cruces at night as our backdrop. It's a little pricy, but so worth it. Hey, you're worth it!!!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is the restaurant that Gordon Ramsey recently did a show on for his "Hotel Hell" series. My wife and I decided to give it a try to see how it turned out.

We arrived at about 4pm on a weekday, and the place was empty. There is a bell at the front so you can let the staff know you are there and to seat you. Not a good sign.

My wife immediately commented on the vinyl table covers. According to our waitress, Ramsey removed them, but the excessive cost of the linen service forced them to put them back in place. When I asked why, as a hotel, they couldn't just wash their own, the reply was "Too much work." Again, not a good sign. They would be better off with the bare tables or simple place settings.

Their menu had been revamped by Ramsey, with 2-3 appetizers, 2-3 entrees, and deserts. The waitress said that such a limited selection was not popular with their customers (who appeaerd while we were there, to mostly be very elderly, very wealthy people). So they combined their old and new menu. I thought that was a logical thing to do, considering this is the US and people are used to a larger variety at a restaurant than in Europe.

We ordered 1 Ramsey dish and 1 house dish. The Ramsey dish was a very uninspiring southwest-styled sea bass. The house dish was veal marsala, and it was a disaster. A poorly-selected cut of veal (lots of gristle) and pasta that was drenched, literally, in a 1/4 cup of oil. I pointed it out to the waitress and even she admitted "Thats a lot of oil". The sauce, which is supposed to have a sweet Marsala wine flavor, tasted more like a stroganoff without the sour cream- just mushroomy, as if they used little or no wine.

Our appetizer was a Ramsey dish of chili cheese french fries, and was, at least, OK. The caesar salads we ordered were...disappointing. Small, with the same "southwest" grilled corn topping as the sea bass, and not enough dressing, as even the waitress commented on. Thet came with small round cornbread muffins, which is a good idea, but I'm pretty sure the muffins were pre-packaged and heated, and not made in house.

For this and a glass of wine we paid $53 for 2 people. The food was more expensive, and far lower quality than a restaurant like Olive Garden (which, incidentally, makes an excellent Marsala sauce). Considering that St Clair Bistro is right across the street, unless the owners do something to ensure the food is *fabulous* and stop cutting corners on the small but important details, I don't see how this place will survive the competition.

27  Thank Promed
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Was in town visiting, had dinner with family, my chicken piccata was served raw. Would not recommend this place.

3  Thank Gloria K
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Excellent Chef. Taste of Tuscany - Chicken Piccata in white sauce, garlic bread and Chicken Parmesan I highly recommend.
My Husband picked up the Pound Cake Panini in the evening to take to our room. When I first saw it, it didn't look appetizing, but what does in a styrofoam box? It is divine!
Champagne brunch Sunday....My Husband was itching to try the Chicken Pot Pastry.....he thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried the French Toast made with butter banana bread, never had anything like it.