“Casual and satisfactory”

Jakes Cafe
Ranked #50 of 398 Restaurants in Las Cruces
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 16, 2018

Jake's interior reflects photos, images, and seating from decades past. It was a comfortable place with ample parking right on a main street (Lohman). Service was more than adequate, prices are reasonable. I had one of the burgers and it was good although not perhaps the best in town. My wife had the chicken fried steak and she enjoyed it. I think we would return if we were hungry and driving someplace nearby. I doubt we would drive out of our way. I like that they honor Marilyn Monroe with a large image of her face.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

I have been seeing the Jake's Cafe commercials on TV and all over the internet. So I decided to try Jake's Cafe. I have to tell you, that the burgers and fries were great. I enjoyed every bite. Yes there are other burger joints on Las Cruces, But Jake really puts together a great burger. I have already been back a few times and enjoy it each time. It just has that good taste.

Reviewed July 25, 2018

This was our second visit to Jakes and I waited until this follow up meal to post a comment. The first visit was fraught with mishaps and cold fries but I didn't think it really represented the usual food and service. We were not greeted at the door and there is no billboard or sign saying "Please seat yourself", so we stood until the one waiter passed by and said to find a seat he would be with us shortly. He was hustling; taking orders, answering the phone, delivering beverages and food and ringing people out. He managed to stay on top of things with little to no help. Cudos to his ability to multi-task. Our order was taken shortly, water delivered then it took about 10 minutes for our food to arrive. We had asked for our Dona Ana and American burgers to be cut in half so we could share. The kitchen had not only cut the burgers but had already put the two different halves in our individual baskets. Nice. The hamburgers were caramelized around the edges and the toppings were just the right amount on the homemade tender buns. Although the green chilies were hot they did not overwhelm. These were very good burgers - far and above any from fast food chains and decently priced for the quality. The fries were hot and crisp, a tad overcooked but with moist centers. Tables were not getting cleared but service and customers came first. Will we go back? Of course we need our burger fix!

Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

I took my wife here on a date. We'd been wanting to try it. Walking through the door, the place was over powered with the smell of restroom chemicals. I ordered a soda, and had to send it back because it tasted like it was out. My next soda tasted like soap. Finally I got a good one the third time. I ordered a Jakes Patty Melt. It was decent, but was cold when I got it.

The restaurant itself was kind of dingy and dark, and dive like inside. I just can't say all around this place makes a poor first impression, and nothing stuck out. We won't be back.

1  Thank Ross B
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Jakes moved from Dona Ana and we are still heartbroken!! However, we do still eat there from time to time. I LOVE the Monster Burger, a 1-pound cheeseburger with green chile! However, after finishing my burger I "stole" a piece of the pepperoni pizza that my daughter ordered, and it was to die for! It is the best pizza I've had in a long time! Friendly staff, too!