“Relaxing and Beautiful - You will enjoy your stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elk Mountain Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jemez Springs
Elk Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jemez Springs
Los Lunas, New Mexico
“Relaxing and Beautiful - You will enjoy your stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I love Jemez - we love to hike the mountains, fish the streams and explore! As much as we love Jemez, I didn't think it was possible to love it even more. But thanks to Terry, Kody, and Elk Mountain Lodge, we do! My husband and our friends decided to take me there to help lift my spirits after losing my dear twin-brother just a couple of weeks earlier. I didn't think anything would help me, but I was wrong! Elk Mountain Lodge proved to be just what the doctor ordered. Beautiful cabin-style rooms, built by Terry (the owner) and decorated so beautifuly by his talented mother. After our visit, my husband and I decided that we wanted to move into Elk Mountain Lodge and live there with Terry and Kody forever =) The rooms are comfortable, romantic and mind soothing. We enjoyed cooking our dinner on the deck and invited Terry and Kody to join us. Terry is so down to earth and friendly - we enjoyed his company so much that he will definitely be our dinner guest during our next stay (which will be very soon). I think our visit proved to be too relaxing because I managed to forget my sun glasses, my cell phone and my husband's medication there! Unfortunately I remembered to go back for the non-essentuals (glasses & phone), but left the life-saving medication!! YIKES! When we got home, we called Terry to tell him we would be driving back the next day to pick up the medication... He informed us that he would be coming to Alb and voulenteered to bring the medication to us! Can you believe that - who does that these days?? Just adds to our wonderful experience at Elk Mountain Lodge and it shows what kind of person Terry is. Now I'm not voulenteering Terry to make special trips with your forgotten belongings (sorry Terry), so don't get too relaxed and forget your stuff too! Anyway, I am looking forward to going back! I will bring treats for Mr. Kody because I absolutely love him. I strongly recommend Elk Mountain Lodge to anyone who needs to relax and enjoy themselves. You won't regret it and you will most likely become an Elk Mountain Lodge frequent guest, like us. Thank you, Terry, Kody and Elk Mountain Lodge - I REALLY needed that!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MelissaTim
GarthBascom, Owner at Elk Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Elk Mountain Lodge, Jemez Springs, NM. Please come back to see us again real soon! Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
los lunas new mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

We have been camping in the Jemez mountains for years, and love the area. So many forest roads to explore, trails to hike, and streams to fish. We have always found the poeple from the area to be pleasant and friendly. Terry was by far one of the nicest, and down to earth people we have met from the area, He made sure we had everything we needed to make our stay enjoyable, and comfortable. I was surprised to see a negative comment here about Kody ( Terry's dog ). We felt the exact opposite, all four people in our group really enjoyed his company, playful nature, and found him to be very well trained. The only word I can think of to describe our room when we first walked in is "WOW"!! Very clean, comfortable, and extremely romantic, a perfect retreat for couples. The jacuzzi tub for two with candlelight, and bubbles was pure heaven. The time and effort that was put into building these cabins is obvious, everthing from the decor to the artwork in the rooms created a very comfortable atmosphere. The only bad thing is..... I may never be able to get my girlfriend to sleep in a tent ever again... LOL...That's OK, because i'm looking forward to our next visit as much as her. We're glad that we decided to try this place out, and will definately be coming back for years to come.

Room Tip: country lace is the room in this review
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank richnjules
Thank you for your review of the Elk Mountain Lodge! We hope to see you back again real soon.
Safe Travels!
Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

we picked this as a stopover from farmington to sante fe - looked interesting and good location since we were stopping a chaco on the way. the place (and the owner) is fantastic. we had a room with a rock spilling shower - i say a room but it was easily as big as my 3 room condo. Kitchen, big big room, fireplace (pellet) front porch with glider, back patio with barbeque!! nestled (i know, over used but entirely appropros here!!. the best thing? dunno! but the radiant heat from the floor was fantastic!!! this guy built this series of rooms himself on his parents property and did a Fantastic Job!! Good guy (we're city folks so "good guy" is a BIG deal!, great dog too!) easy trip from Albuquerque - just as easy from Sante Fen - really out there in the woods - wonderful!

Room Tip: talk to the owner, this is NOT a chain!! great guy
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tdellara3
Thank you so much for your kind words! Please come back soon!
Safe Travels!
New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

Elk Mountain Lodge is a nice lodging facility located a few miles outside of Jemez. Well maintained.

We were frequent quests for several years and really enjoyed the propery until Terry, the owner, got himself a dog that roams the property unleashed. The dog is very friendly, a little too friendly for our liking and would not leave us alone throughout our stay always jumping on us and our vehicle - leaving numerous stratches. We brought our little (leashed) puppy with us and the owner's dog would not leave our dog alone - we had to load our puppy in the car to take it offsite to relieve himself.

Needless to say we won't be back and it is such a shame that the owner Terry wouldn't keep his dog either leashed or pinned, now we are left with no where to stay when visiting the area. Bummer!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Land&Sea
terrynten, Owner at Elk Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
This is in response to the one "average" review we had referring to our dog Kody. I have to say, he loves his new acquaintances to the point of annoyance . My two previous dogs were more or less pains in the rump for the same reason. In each case they were in the puppy stage of life as is Kody and I already see where he is maturing and getting less and less involved with the guests. Anyway , I always ask my guests to be firm , help me train him , if your need him to disappear, grab the broom hanging outside the door and give him a firm "go lay down".That lets him know its time to move along . This works really well, and in no way hurts my feelings. In fact one time , I mentioned to one of our guests, I would take $10.00 off his bill if he would do just that. (The broom thing). At this time he also does pretty good with a firm "go lay down" That's what I do anyway.
He is a very cool , lovable character and will certainly will be an asset as were my last two dogs. Thanks for checking out our site. Terry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

When we pulled up we automatically fell in love! We called last minute and made the reservations for valentines day, and the only rooms that were left were the cabin or the country lace room. We took the country lace room. Not only was the owner wonderful and helpful on the phone, he was amazing in person. The room was BEAUTIFUL! the satellite dish in the room wasn't working but he came in and fixed it without complaint. I'd have to say that the burritos he makes for breakfast were awesome! We didn't want to leave! We have already made plans to come back and stay in another room in. the summer and also bring some friends and stay in the cabin! If your looking to visit Jemez, you'd make a huge mistake staying anywhere else!!!!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Reddelico
LAS CRUCES
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

We were exploring both Jemez Springs and Bandalier, so this was the perfect location to spend a night between those areas. We were not disappointed. Matter of fact, our room, the Santa Fe, is even nicer than the on line photos. It is a cozy room with comfy bed, lots of pillows and many special touches, including interesting artwork. And a BIG plus -- the lodge is in a very quiet location without traffic noise. Terry made sure we had what we needed to prepare burgers on the grill right outside our door. Breakfast in the morning was not your usual "continental". Joanne prepared fresh pecan pancakes, which we enjoyed with a great cup of coffee. There was an array of baked goods, fresh fruit, cereal -- more than adequate to get us ready for a day of hiking. We will definitely stay there again when we visit this beautiful area in NW New Mexico.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EnchantedTravelers
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed a couple of days in the Santa Fe Room of the Elk Mountain Lodge to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The room was perfect in every way - very nicely decorated with beautiful artwork, comfy queen bed, jacuzzi tub, bar, fridge, toaster, microwave and a grill right outside our door. Terry was an awesome host - gave us great information about the area and what things we could do - and he made the best breakfast burritos with the best-tasting coffee! We have such busy lives that we don't often take time out to relax, regroup, and enjoy the simple things of life -- this is the place to do just that. We loved it and look forward to going back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RosieMZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jemez Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites Los Alamos
Comfort Inn & Suites Los Alamos
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Alamos Entrada Park

Been to Elk Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!