“Great place, worth the drive!”

Jemez Hot Springs: Home of The Giggling Springs
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Jemez Hot Springs, Home of The Giggling Springs is located at the site of the earliest Bath House in the Jemez Springs area. Before that, the mineral water was used by the Native Americans of the area. Our water comes from deep beneath the Valles Caldera (ancient volcano) up the mountain. The four pools contain an ancient sea water abundant with a relaxing and therapeutic blend of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, silica, sodium and more. The source is 142 degrees F, but the pools are kept at a comfortable 102-104 degrees. The water is natural, and no chlorine or chemicals are added. We use ultraviolet light, ionizers and an oxygen inversions system to disinfect the water, and they are flow-through pools, so the water changes out regularly. Swim suits are required, children 14 and over are welcome, and for the comfort of our guests. Reservations are not required.
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Giggling Spring was an amazing experience. For $35, you have two hours on the property to use the hot springs pool, change and shower. Weather and water conditions permitting, you also have access to the river. The owner was very gracious and informative about the history of the property and area, and she makes great smoothies that she brings out to you in the pool. The property is very private, very clean, and a maximum of 8 people are allowed in the pool at once (this ensures everyone has space and can relax comfortable). I visited from 5-7pm in August, and had great views of the sun setting over the mountains. This was one of the highlights of my trip and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the Santa Fe area. (It takes 1.5 hours to get to Giggling Spring from Santa Fe, but the drive is definitely worth it - not only are the hot springs amazing, but the drive is scenic and beautiful. You will pass through Bandelier National Forest and you will get to see an ancient volcano. Bring your camera!)

NewMexicoTandT, Owner at Jemez Hot Springs: Home of The Giggling Springs, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

It was wonderful having you here! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this nice review for us. Come back soon!

All reviews
"aches and pains"
"favorite spot"
"hummingbird feeders"

Reviewed August 15, 2012

When looking at the navigation this was a bit of a ride from where we were staying. Once we got on the road, the drive was actually awesome. We went way up past Los Alamos and drove through a national forrest where it was much cooler. Once we got to the place it was like a backyard area but it was very relaxing. There were cool hummingbirds flying around and the water was perfect. It was nice and warm and we just chilled for 2 hours. We couldn't go in the river which was right there because there had been some hard storms which washed up some mud in the river. But I think this was more of a New Mexico regulation more than the place. The woman who worked there was extremely nice and made 2 smoothies that were delicious. We actually had 2 each. It felt really good on my skin and had a lot of history at the location as well. With an old bathhouse next door. I would go back and spend more time and just hang there all day.

1  Thank Brian T
NewMexicoTandT, Owner at Jemez Hot Springs: Home of The Giggling Springs, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Thank you so much for the review! You are right! The drive is beautiful--either way you come! Either you get to drive through beautiful Ponderosa Pine tree forest, or you get to drive through stunning red rock scenery! This is why New Mexico is called the Land of Enchantment! ;-) We hope to see you back again someday soon!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

They limit the number of people in the pool which is nice, and you don't need to worry about naked hippies joining you

Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is an amazing hot spring, let me tell you. I'm shocked by the 1* review saying that this place is as good as a motel hot tub. Really? What kind of motels are you staying at? Because I've stayed at high end hotels and cheap motels all over the world (including Ten Thousand Waves, Ojo Caliente) and have yet to see a hot tub like THIS. But if you've stayed at a motel with one, please send me a message because I'd love to visit.

ANYWAY - sorry for the rant, but I felt the need to stick up for this place. This is an absolutely gorgeous hot spring! We visited during my birthday weekend celebration in Jemez with our favorite couple to travel with. Much nicer than the ones nature made up the road. If you do decide to travel up the road a bit and take a little hike, you will be attacked by a multitude of insects and find a dirty, mossy, sharp rock bottomed spring filled with naked hippies. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally all for being "one with nature," but I'm not about to slide into a small, slippery pool of water with a naked stranger and a few of my closest friends. One wrong move, and you'll be slipping and sliding somewhere you'll soon regret. Last time we took the hike up, there was the worst child running about jumping and splashing like he was in a waterpark. I might be a little biased, because my brother became ill after a trip to the springs several years ago.

AGAIN, ANYWAY -Everything that I hate about the natural hot springs, Giggling Springs has taken into consideration. No children. No naked hippies (although some very nice swimwear-clad hippie ladies that we had an awesome conversation with). CLEAN water. Such beautiful blue-green clean water. And they adjust the temperature to the liking of the customers. Oh, and they'll whip you up one of the best smoothies of your life. All with a smile on their face. WHAT! The only thing that put a small damper on the day was that the river was closed off because of the fire that had taken place earlier that month. But that's completely understandable. If you'd like to be covered in sooty water, visit those other springs I mentioned. If you'd like to relax and enjoy what nature intended those springs to look like, come here. I can't wait to return to this place. Keep up the good work, people DO appreciate it.

5  Thank Sonya B
NewMexicoTandT, Owner at Jemez Hot Springs: Home of The Giggling Springs, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE this review! This one will keep us smiling for a week! Thank you so much for expressing your appreciation and for "getting" what we do here! And pointing out the differences between our place and Spence hot springs gives me the opportunity to let people know of another important difference between us and "Spence, McCauley and San Antonio Hot/Warm Springs" in the forest----they are not mineral water. There are practically no minerals in the water in any of them! The forest springs come from a completely different aquifer than our water. Our water is the ancient sea water from under the Valles Caldera which comes down the mountain underground, and it is very heavy with therapeutic minerals! (We recently had a couple of brilliant geologists here who have extensively studied the geology and hydrology of the area and shared a ton of information with us on the subject!) Thank you again and come back soon!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Offers a large outdoor thermal pool. The management will raise and lower the temperature according to pool concensus. Only 8 in the pool at a time. A stream runs behind and offers small pools for cooling off. The water is pre-cooled; originates at 157 degrees. Place is great, with a beautiful setting and original spa buildings. It's also for sale..

1  Thank wary_traveller56

Thank you for your review! One tiny little detail to clarify a little though is that the water (139F at the source) isn't pre-cooled. It just cools naturally in the pool by air. We don't add any cold water or anything. Thank you for sharing all that information with people, we appreciate it! Come back soon!