“A wonderful getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jemez Springs
Laughing Lizard Inn
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed at the Laughing Lizard Inn for a week. I had driven through the Jemez Mountains 18 years ago and decided to come back and explore the area more closely. Since I didn't want to camp alone, when I looked online, this place seemed to have the right feeling of simple and comfortable. Everything was very clean. The weather was beautiful so I didn't even miss the AC. The inn was the perfect springboard for day trips all throughout the region, although several spots were closed due to the forest fires and then rain storms earlier this summer. Some days I just sat on the porch and read a book, or watched the local comings and goings. Everyone who stayed in the other rooms was friendly and interesting. Bob and Leone are great hosts and were attentive to my requests. The Highway 4 Cafe next door is delicious, and everything else in town is a short walk down the street. The only thing that surprised me was the amount of heavy truck traffic going by at all hours of the day and night, which it made the experience a little less peaceful than I had anticipated. But I got over it and stayed over it pretty quickly. I want to go back and stay there again with my family soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank J9lmt
There are newer reviews for Laughing Lizard Inn

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Laughing Lizard during our week in New Mexico last month. It's a fine stop between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, especially if you're interested in hiking in the area. The rooms are plain and they are not air conditioned, but the temperature got low enough in the evening -- even though the day was hot -- that we were able to sleep comfortably at night. This is a place to rest after a long day, not a place to enjoy room amenities besides a shower. If you have high expectations you will probably be disappointed or think it's a bad value. But at roughly $70, we thought it was a fine way station on the high road to Valles Caldera. Unfortunately, the Caldera was on fire, and closed, so we couldn't explore it. :-(

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dhfeld
Reviewed June 24, 2012

First off, I want to say that I was slightly nervous staying here after reading all the reviews on this place and I am pleased to report that we did not have their experience. i noticed most of the reviews that said this place was dirty and the food was awful were from 2010 or before. Let me tell you, this place was great. My husband and I went there for our 1st year anniversary and fell in love with this place and the town. The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. When we checked in, the owner escorted us to our room just to make sure everything was good (we checked in early). The room is small but who cares, you don't go to Jemez New Mexico to hang out in your hotel room! It was perfect for two people and the bathroom was VERY clean so was the floor, the sheets, the towels, everything. I loved the big porch, it was great to sit and watch the sunset on and meet our neighbors. This place is also dog friendly (a plus - although we did not bring our dogs). If you do not like dogs, Jemez may not be the place for you anyways, this place is very dog friendly and you can hear dogs barking all over town (just saying). Its walking distance to everything in town and only a short drive to hiking trails and beautiful waterfalls. This place WAS great and I would highly recommend staying there.

Room Tip: We stayed in the South Western room, it was nice
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie F
LaughingLizard87025, Owner at Laughing Lizard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thanks for the review Natalie, we're so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Come back and stay with us next time you're in the Jemez.

Best wishes,

Bob & Leone

Reviewed January 31, 2012

ate here once a few years ago and found it ok. sad though to find out that the place has just closed. Owner has decided to retire and people who bought the place do not plan to open the restaraunt part back up

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeHoustonTexas

Thanks for your review. We purchased "The Laughing Lizard Inn and Cafe" in February 2012 and decided to close the cafe and just run the inn.

Please note that since then all four rooms have been fully renovated... new beds and linens, bathrooms re-tiled and remodeled, all fixtures upgraded. Previous negative reviews are really no longer applicable as "The Laughing Lizard Inn" is now under new management.

Thanks for your support. We hope you'll stay with us again!

Bob & Leone

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Visited late December 2011.

Family visited the nearby Jemez State Monument (which we greatly enjoyed), then ate here before driving back to Albuquerque. Very low-key but pleasant service; I think every employee visited our table at some point during lunch? Servings were generous and pretty good. Red chili fries were hot in temp but not fully cooked. Daughter didn't like her buffalo burrito,but I thought it was good.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My friend and I were spending one night in Jemez, arriving later afternoon for a soak at the Giggling Springs (across the street) and then leaving early the next morning for Bandalier. I found the rooms to be perfedctly adequate for an overnight stay. Our room was clean, neat, in good repair, and really quite charming. No, these are not an extensively appointed accommodations, but rather well-priced, comfortable rooms in a beautiful and restful location.

We had an excellent dinner at the Laughing Lizard Cafe and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. We were having difficulty getting a cell signal (Verizon customers may get one - others probably not). When we inquired about the cell service, we were given use of their landline to call our families and let them know we were fine.

Breakfast next door at the Highway 4 Coffee and Pastry shop was an excellent way to start the day!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jluswags
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We had a group dinner at the restaurant; the vegeterian lasagna was good and teh local Ponderosa red wine was smooth.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Laughing Lizard Inn? Share your experiences!