“Awesome and Comfortable”
Review of La Cueva Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jemez Springs
La Cueva Lodge
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Awesome and Comfortable”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is easily, the most comfortable lodge, I have ever stayed at. The owner / manager, is on premises at all times, and she is fantastic. Freshly baked bread and cookies, are provided in rooms, and the rooms, are like staying at home, with a special touch. The scenery in the area is fantastic, and there is fishing out of the back door of the rooms. If you are looking for comfort, excellent customer service, and quiet, THIS is the place to go!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jeff L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is clean, beautiful, quaint, quiet... It was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at in a long time. The owners are nice and the place is well taken care of, it is nicely furnished and comfortable. A great place to get away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank manda111
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Clean rooms
Very convenient location, right off the main road, close by some hot springs and the falls
Many amenities such as picnic tables, grills, wifi, extra blankets and towels, books, fridge, microwave, kitchen supplies, indoor table and chairs, tv (but I suggest going outside instead of wasting time with the tv!), etc.
The owners are very friendly and accommodating
Since each room has its own water heater, the water always got hot right away
I was with a group so paid a group rate and therefore can't say much about the pricing, but when I checked online recently it was around $65/night which is a great price for what you get.
I have read a few other reviews on this place that are negative, but you can't expect a 4 star hotel in the middle of the mountains. If you are, then you picked the wrong place to vacation! If you don't want to camp and stay in a tent, I definitely recommend this lodge. It is a beautiful place in a beautiful location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank ash13007
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My son and I stayed at the La Cueva Lodge Dec. 30-31, 2012 for 1 night. I had read some reviews that were not too positive about this place but it was the only motel that had rooms for the night we wanted to visit. I made the reservation only a day before we went. Reservations cannot be made online so I called and talked the "night manager" and she met us at check-in. As some reviews noted, she is a bit gruff and there are cats in the office that might run out the door in warmer weather, but she was nice. There are videos and games in the office that you can take to your room that was very quiet. I think the signs posted in the rooms were minimal and necessary. The heaters in the room was great- they are quiet and efficient even though it was very cold and snowy outside. This lodge is really a small motel and it is currently up for sale. We paid extra for a "kitchette" that only had a microwave oven, some kitchenware, a refrigerator and coffee maker with coffee and filters provided.There is a nice cafe across the parking lot that is only open weekends during the winter. I would consider staying here again in the Spring or Summer. I think it books early since it is a good price compared to the B&B's in the area, especially for families.

Room Tip: Kitchette is more and only includes microwave oven, small refrigerator and coffee maker. No stove. T...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank C S
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I planned to stay in Jemez Springs but when I drove through, I just wasn't feeling it. I decided to check out La Cueva Lodge and am so glad I did. The large, super-comfy room was so nice. After a long day of hiking, curling up in a recliner, wrapped in a blankie, reading a good book from the bookcase in my room was a perfect way to end the day. Delightful, friendly, helpful innkeepers. The lodge is about 10 miles from Jemez Springs and the Ridgeback Cafe is only open on weekends at this time of year. If you don't want to drive to Jemez for meals or make do with convenience store snacks, ask for a kitchenette. Wasn't a problem for me, just saying. When the restaurant is open, expect friendly service, good food, large portions, and the opportunity to meet locals. La Cueva was a great place and a great experience. I will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank sharlyn1950
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The room was clean, but you were almost knocked over from the super strong bleach smell. There were 9 lists posted in various parts of the room of things you are warned not to do. Ok 1 of those was to tell you how to turn on the heater but the rest were just outright nagging. So because someone at some time did something everyone else has to pay for it. This rooms are decorated with mismatched decor, and every where you look there are ugly fake flowers! There is a creek that runs thru the back of the property but when you sit down on the chairs to enjoy it your view has the fake flowers taking away from the lovely natural beauty of the area. No amenities what so ever! No Internet, no breakfast, nothing, not even the cookies. Oh they do get 6 channels of cable and old VHS tapes, woohoo. You get 1 motel size bar of soap and 1 tiny bottle of shampoo and 2 very rough towels. We didn't get cell phone service so had to make calls at the grocery store.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Love-Loba
Houston TX
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here one night last week. It is like a converted motel? It is not fancy at all, but our room was clean and comfortable. The owner was very helpful on the phone and very helpful when we arrived. The room was just what we expected. The scenery is incredible around this place and the drive up from Albuquerque was beautiful once you hit the mountains. We found the tent rocks near by and a hot springs too. The next morning we got up early and drove to White Rock to catch the shuttle to Bandelier.

The review that complained about everything has a little merit.. but very little. The lady does say "close the door so the cat doesn't get out!" But she says it nicely. And there are little notes about tampons and muddy towels but not a big deal at all. The good things about this place outweigh any little weirdness. The bed was not like concrete it was just an old school mattress. The night we stayed there in July, it was very very cool in the room. No A/C needed! If you are a normal person, I am sure the owner will not come across rude at all, I thought she was very nice and helpful and went out of her way for us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Los Alamos
Pueblo Canyon Inn
Pueblo Canyon Inn
#1 of 3 in Los Alamos

Been to La Cueva Lodge? Share your experiences!