“parking fees”

Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“parking fees”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

recently my friend and I went fishing at fenton lake. We paid our parking fee of $5.oo for the VAN we went on. Later in the day, the park ranger gave us a citation for not paying a $15.00 fee required for a BUS as noted on the entrance parking fee notice. We tried to explain to theindivual officer that our van was not a BUS but a van. Looks that this fellow does not know the differance between a VAN a BUS.Educate this fellow on the differnce or change the fee sign to include the fee for vans. Vans are of different sizes and can be the size of a SUV or a truck.
Anyway, fishing was good that day.

Visited September 2012
6 Thank Abran L

Los Alamos, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time or money on this location”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I drove into this park to check it out. Very few sites have electricity, many are unlevel and hard to get into. I talked to the local "Barney Fife" inside the park and he was not courteous or friendly. He was on some sort of ego trip that I did not have time for. I left the park and will not come back. Close this park and save the taxpayer some money or get someone who will project the image that New Mexico would be proud of.

Visited July 2012
8 Thank NMCamper
Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Cool getaway in the mountains”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Fenton Lake lies in the heart of the Jemez Mountains on State Highway 126 just a short drive from Jemez Springs. The trip up to the park is a very pleasant drive, paved all the way, with outstanding scenery along the way. It's not uncommon to see rabbits and squirrels along the road driving in.

The park does require a daily user fee but it's fairly low and well worth it. They offer overnight camping with prepared sites and vault toilets scattered throuighout the camping area which is alongside the stream that feeds the lake.

Fishing is good, with trout easily caught either from the shore or from your boat. It's very cool under the pine trees during the hottest summer months, and it's a great place to come for a picnic lunch. You're not supposed to feed the chipmunks that sit beside your table begging for food, but do as your conscience dictates.

Visited July 2012
7 Thank medalguy
New Mexico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A Beautiful State Park”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

New Mexico has some wonderful and beautiful state parks, and Fenton is tops on my list for just enjoying nature for what it is. If you're wanting/expecting a lot of goings on and activities and you're someone that needs a lot of amenities and constant "manufactured" entertainment, then Fenton Lake State Park may not be for you.

Like most mountain lakes, it is small...because of it's size, nothing beyond a small electric trolling motor on the back of your fishing boat/raft is allowed. For some, this may detour you....for others like myself, it is one of the qualities I like best; the lake is quiet and can be enjoyed for it's natural beauty. It's a haven for anglers and paddlers alike. Did I mention that it is beautiful? Because it is!

It's one of those places I can just walk the trails and look out on the lake and just appreciate the beauty...I can just sit their in my camp chair and listen to the wind whistle through the pines (without the roar of some motor boat)...or the kids playing at the little playground, without a care in the world. All of my stresses just seem to float down the stream or get carried away in the breeze.

The campground has 35 total sites. Several of these sites are reservable in advance, while the bulk are fist come-first served (FCFS). For those so inclined, there is a hookup loop (electric only) consisting of five electric hookup sites. Personally, though I camp in a camper, I prefer the other sites throughout the park as the sites in the electric loop are very, very close together. The non-hookup sites are more spacious and most have good separation from the neighbors.

The area around the lake is for day use only, and there are no campsites right on the lake. Personally, I like this as well as it allows full public access to the shoreline without some angry camper looking at you like you're intruding in their campsite. This is a popular state park and the campground will fill on most weekends during the "camping season". If you're adverse to making reservations and prefer to pick your own site when you get there (like me)...I advise to arrive before or around noon on Friday, particularly if it's a holiday weekend.

Check in time is 4:00 PM, but you can check in earlier if sites are unoccupied. Check out is 2:00PM.

If you are more accustomed to RV Parks/Resorts, you will most likely find Fenton Lake SP to be on the "rustic" side as most of our state parks are. For me, it's downright developed as I generally boondock camp/dispersed camp along the numerous forest roads in the Jemez and elsewhere.

If you are a person that simply enjoys and appreciates nature for what it is, I don't see how you could not enjoy Fenton Lake State Park....well, I guess you could end up with a loud camping neighbor that doesn't understand quiet hours :) ...but barring that, you should enjoy.

Visited June 2012
9 Thank NMdesertdiver
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A great retreat from Santa Fe”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The park has tall pines and is well kept. The lake is stocked and quiet - no motors allowed..

Visited July 2011