“Great until...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great until...”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I chose the Comfort Suites because we would be there for 2 nights and 3 days and wanted a fridge & microwave, and it was very reasonably priced. The room was spacious and clean with a comfortable chair, couch, and desk. The bed was great! I thought we'd struck gold! However, the internet-connection was slow the first night and nonexistent from the early evening of our second day because their "system" had gone down. This also meant no phone service. Also, I understand that they do not want to waste food, however, the first morning I came down 40 minutes prior to the end of breakfast. The scrambled eggs section of the "hot breakfast" had what was clearly only about a ladle-full of stale leftover eggs. There were (2) slices of stale wheat bread (by this I mean beginning-to-harden) and (1) english muffin. The woman who stocks the breakfast bar came out and is standing in front of the hot breakfast area... After 30 seconds, I finally crack and ask her, "are you going to replenish the eggs"? Pause... "sure". Off she goes and returns 2 minutes later with a plastic container of the microwaved eggs. (I had the feeling that this was a mano y mano situation to see which of us would crack: Would she get more eggs or would I give up and go away...?) Not ideal. As for the internet connection? It was infuriating! My husband and I use it to research restaurants, places of interest in the area, and directions. Not having it this trip really inconvenienced us. As nice as the room was, and it was very nice, we'll never stay there again.

Room Tip: If you rely on the internet for business or pleasure, you may want to call first to inquire as to it...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ABQroamer
Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Suites Hobbs, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay. We apologize for the internet service being down. However, our system was not down. The internet provider system was down. Internet was down all along the highway and it was NOT an isolated situation with our hotel only. We recently upgraded our internet system with over $8000 worth of commercial grade equipment. We installed commercial grade wireless access points on each floor. Most hotels share access points between floors. We have 3 access points per floor. Each access point can support up to 100 users. We also upgraded our internet speed to have over 50 Megs of speed. We have not had any problems with our service. However, the internet provider may have an electrical outage once in a while and that is what occured. We contacted our provider as soon as the problem occured only to be told they are workign on the problem. Our hotel property management system also runs on the internet so it is in the best interest of the hotel to provide robust internet service. Our breakfast bar attendents are trained to provide food at all hours of the breakfast time. We apologize if the speed of service was not up to standards. We will do a coach and council with our breakfast bar attendents. Under no cirmcustances we would compromise customer statisfaction over breakfast food. Our breakfast bar is operated according to the strict standards set by our franchise. We apologize the speed of service in breakfast bar was not up to standards. We will address this issue with our breakfast staff to prevent it from occuring again. Thank you for the valuable feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hobbs
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I read reviews of several hotels before I picked one. This hotel had good reviews and I can sure see why. I was very satisfied with everything. Most comfortable beds I have EVER slept on. I will stay again when I return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Suites Hobbs, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for the feeback. We are glad you were satisfied with your stay. Our beds are pillow top mattresses which exceed choice hotels quality standards. Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Clovis, New Mexico
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

A co-worker and I stayed for two nights on a business trip to Hobbs. Check in was pleasant and quick. Our room was spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated. The beds and pillows were comfortable. (I ended up purchasing a pillow, I liked them so much.) The gym had modern equipment, mirrors and a water cooler. Breakfast was fresh with plenty of options. This hotel met or exceeded all of my expectations. The only thing this hotel is missing is a hot tub next to its indoor pool.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Suites Hobbs, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments and great feeback. Our goal is to make the guest experience as best as possible for all of our guests. All of our rooms are suites which are larger then the average standard room at other hotels. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon in the future.
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Got there and had to flip a switch to start elevator put handicapped on 2nd floor. Went to goof off and got back to hotel, elevator was shut down. The employees didn't offer to help us get to our room and didn't even try to get us on 1st floor. Handicapped should not be put on upper floors due to elevator malfunction or fire. Husband in wheelchair and I had 5 back surgeries and couldn't carry wheelchair. They didn't help or even offer. Manager didn't even show up the following day.!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure elevator in good working order, if handicapped STAY ON FIRST FLOOR!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Suites Hobbs, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We apologize for the elevator being down. We have a maintenance agreement for our elevator. Our elevator is serviced on a monhly basis. However, occasionaly something breaks down in between service. The elevator service company comes from out of town. We called this company and had them do the work on a weekend. They needed a part to finish the repair which was only avilalbe on Monday. We fixed the elevator as soon as possible given the time frame. We do have handicap accessible rooms on the ground floor. Those rooms were occupied and that is the reason we could not offer those rooms to you. We apologize for the elevator and the fact we did not have any rooms available on the ground floor. Our elevator does not go down very often becuase we have a service agreement which keeps the elevator in best shape possible. Thank you for the feedback.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We only stayed one night, it was a convenient location, the room was large with setting area, the sofa was a hide a bed. There was a fridge and micro, we did use the fridge for water. Did not use the micro. The coffee maker in our room did not work when reported it to the girl at desk, she was not helpful, said they didn't have any extra,but we could get coffee in the breakfast area ok for evening not for morning. Everything was clean and the beds and pillows were comfy. We would stay there again. We arrived in town in the late morning, the man at the desk was very helpful in finding us a room so we could check in early, this was most helpful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Suites Hobbs, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for the feeback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It is our goal to try to exceed each of our customers guest experience statisfaction. We apologize about the coffee maker. However, we checked our inventory and we do have a few spares of coffee makers. We are not clear why the desk clerk was not able to locate them. As a result we have now moved the spare coffee makers to a closet in our office area so any of our employees can locate them easily. Coffee makers usually don't go out very often so the spares were kept in a closet area. We have also informed our staff to check the storage areas for spares of any items in the future. Thank you for providing this valuable feed back so we can keep improving our service and guest satisfaction standards. We will see you on your next trip to Hobbs.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I travel for a living so I spend a lot of time in hotels, so I hope my evaluation is a sound comparison of other hotels. I stayed at this hotel for almost one week. I never had breakfast there so I can't comment on that.
THE GOOD: The room was nice, and it was clean. The business center downstairs has printer that can scan images right to my thumb drive. That's always important to me. I had little interaction with the staff, but they were pleasant and helpful. Lastly, the hotel is inset away from the highway, so highway noise is low.

THE BAD: The room was a little cramped with excess furniture (a couch, two ottomans, and a desk). The Wi-Fi was horrible for my room and since I was on business it was a bit inconvenient. The hotel is close enough to a railroad that you can hear the train a few times a night. It isn't terrible, but if you're a light sleeper, then bring earplugs. I think the price was a bit high for this class of hotel, but prices might be inflated due to seasonal workers.

Room Tip: My room had very poor Wireless connection. Make sure you get a room closer to the router.
Green Features: I have no knowledge of this. They have a standard optional towel and linen cleaning service, but it's up to the guest to refrain from replacing these.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Colleen R
Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Suites Hobbs, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel. Customer feedback is always important to us, so that we may continue to improve our guest satisfaction. The Comfort Suites is located on Hwy 18 in Hobbs. This is the same stretch of road that all of the other premiere hotels are located on. The railroad runs the length of this highway opposite the hotel for many miles before and after Hobbs. All of the hotels are located across the highway from this railway. It is rare that trains run on this and most of the time it is not used. But occasionally there is a frequency of train activity in spurts. Though it should be noted that the Comfort Suites is set the furthest away from the railway of any of the nine major hotels located on this stretch of highway. Our location in the back provides a buffer to our guests against any highway noise.

The Comfort Suites has an upgraded internet speed that offer 10mbps download speed to guests. We will contact our internet provider for them to diagnose our equipment for low speeds. We have not had any complaints of low speeds recently. The equipment allows remote diagnosing from our support company. The hotel does offer a free 24hr technical support for Wi-Fi connections that is available to each guest at no cost.

We appreciate the compliments becuase our staff works very hard to ensure each room is clean and comfortable for all of our guests.
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I only stayed at the Comfort Suites in Hobbs because it was the only hotel available on my first night in town. I am grateful now I didn't book this place for two nights. All you need to know is that when I came in after a long day of travel I stood at the empty front desk for 15 minutes waiting to see an actual human being to check me in. There was nothing. Noone. The phone at the front desk was ringing off the hook. Nobody answering. Anybody out there? After what seemed like an interminable wait an employee finally shows up in hurried fashion. No excuses, no sorry, no nothing. "What can I do for you?" Well, you can actually be at the desk when I come in, that would be a great start. As for the hotel, it's purely meh. Rooms are okay, nothing special, Paint chipped off the corners of the wall, door handle missing on the closet, and while Hobbs is a VERY small town, this hotel is clearly on the wrong side of it. Not worth the wait. Looking forward to checking-in to the Fairfiled Inn tomorrow night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BronxMiddleMan
Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Suites Hobbs, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
I greatly regret that the events you describe occurred. I can assure you this is not standard procedure at our property. Hobbs is a small booming community with limited hotel selection. Like most limited service hotels, we have a small staff in the evenings and it may be the responsibility of one person to attend the needs of guests on short notice for any variety of conveniences. Though the wait time described(15 min) would be considered much longer than normal, there may be times that a Front Desk clerk is attending to a guest upstairs (We have 4 floors) and may take 1 to 4 minutes to return. We greatly care about our guests and try to address any needs within our ability. This is why the front desk attendant was missing and showed up in “hurried fashion”.

Regarding the damages mentioned. The chipped paint on the wall edge was a missing corner-guard which is in place for exactly this type of damage to be prevented. There are 6 of these corner-guards per room and this room had one missing. Sometimes these are apt to coming off through wear-and-tear and the maintenance staff is always on the lookout to replace these small types of things that may be missing. The missing closet handle is similar because it is a superficial handle, like a drawer knob, they sometimes fall off and must be reattached by the maintenance staff. Our house keeping staff is trained to report all items that need maintenance attention on a daily basis. We also have a preventive maintenance program in place where we check each and every little thing in a room at least once per month. Our Maintenance and Housekeeping staff work very hard on a daily basis to maintain consistent levels of quality. We thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and hope that you would return to our property and see that these were rare and not repeat issues.