Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
A must see in southern NM

The climb to the dwellings is a well marked trail and it's not difficult. When were were there a... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
DGraden
Valparaiso, Indiana
Lovely Place to Explore

Hi Folks, This is quite a drive up into the mountains from Silver City but well worth it for the... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
OldeBear
Hamden, Connecticut

All reviews silver city cliff dwellings visitor center winding road national monument hot springs short hike full tank of gas trail head homemade ice cream new mexico park ranger take your time scenic drive well worth the effort half mile informative video
Reviewed July 9, 2013

An interesting mountain drive to get to this gem of a park. Glad our brakes were in good order! Lots of steep grades and hairpin curves. We picnicked in the park, hiked to the dwellings along a fairly rugged but vista rewarding path and learned much about the inhabitants of the cliff dwellings. Make sure you take the ranger/volunteer led tour of the dwellings themselves. What gorgeous vistas that reward you from the cliff dwellings. It was a great day. Not sure I would take kids under 5 on the hike however. The visitor center while small, had good information.

3  Thank Danny C
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Gila Cliff Dwellings are north of Silver City and provides the visitor with a breathtaking view of the forest and mountains as well as some great Mongollon cliff dwellings. The ruins are in relatively good condition and are easily accessible from the visitor center and the center itself has some nice displays and a small bookshop. Be aware that direct route from Silver City is a winding road and is narrow in some places. I advise going toward Bayard and take the alternative road north. Be sure to gas up before you go as there are few stations on both roads going north.

2  Thank Efrem4
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We were lucky enough to time our visit to include a ranger-led tour of the dwellings. It made a good visit great! We learned so much. Being able to walk among the ruins was incredible!

The road leading to the dwellings is very very scenic but be sure your brakes are in good repair-steep grades, hairpin curves, and no guardrails. Definitely heed the warning of not trying to drive this road pulling a large trailer.

Watch for elk and mule deer along the way. Stop for a soak at the natural hot springs in the area. Include a hike or two and you have yourself a perfect weekend.

1  Thank IncredibleWoody
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The mileage is misleading definitely as the trip takes much longer than anticipated. Prepare yourself for that and enjoy the scenery. Once you arrive though, the hike to the dwellings is a must. My family loves to explore the Cliff Dwellings and look for local wildlife. I have hiked it with my 9 month old on my back and with 4 and 8 year old walking along. Each time brings new discoveries. It is truly a family favorite each time we are in NM.

If you have younger children, ask the ranger for a Junior Ranger book. It has some great activities for the kids to do and they earn a badge at the end. My kids love this at all the National Parks.

1  Thank chill15
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went to visit the Gila Cliff Dwellings from Southwest texas. It took around 4 hrs to get there. From Silvercity we took the winding road NM 15 , even though it is only 40 miles it almost took 2 hours.

On the way to the cliff dwellings the scenery is wonderful, we stopped at few places took pictures, the pictures wer just like "paintings". We picnicked in between.

At the cliff dwellings visitor center we paid the admission fee with our creditcard and got the receipt.

I did not want to miss the Ranger Guided Tour. We reached the visitor center at 12:53, the volunteer at the visitor center mentioned that it would be difficult to make it for the ranger guided tour.

From the visitor center it is 2 mile drive to the cliff dwelling entrance, at the entry point you submit the fee receipt in an envelope and drop it in the collection box. (if you carry cash please make sure you have the exact change, otherwise pay it at the visitor center)

From the entrance it is a 0.8 mile hike ending with 100-120 steps to the cliff dwellings. I hurried and reached by 1:10 pm.

Tour was conducted by a volunteer for the NPS. He was very naive, i thought he was not very informative. The cliff dwelling were very interesting. I could not imagine how could the native americans find this place, so interior in the wilderness. I guess there is a close by creek that might have made them settle over here.

The scenery over there is really wonderful. It takes around 1-1.5 hours to look around. We headed back to the visitor center, there is free post card for us to pick up.

I am a National Parks Passport stamp buff, so I got my own made passport stamped in the visitor center.

I would visit this area only once, not work visiting again. But the drive was wonderful from the silvercity.

I hope this review is informative.

1  Thank Thespian_Traveler