“Pleasantly suprised”

Red Lion Hotel Gallup
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Reviewed July 16, 2012

After hearing about the freight trains in Gallup, I decided to book a room that faced the atrium-indoor pool in hope of a good night sleep. It was very quiet. I didn't notice any noise coming from the corridor, but the hotel was not very full. The room was very large and clean, the beds were very comfortable, and the a/c was quiet. The front desk and housekeeping staff were very friendly. The free breakfast is limited, but does offer more hot items than comparably priced motels. The main drawback is that it is located on the edge of town and not close to many restaurants. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ni4detail
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you next time you are in Gallup.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I should have realized something when I checked in. To begin with the lobby smelled horrible because of the indoor pool in the adjacent room. The door were propped open for the pool room, but should have been closed. The doors were also open during our entire stay.

The front desk staff were discourteous.

The room was really worn. Everything, the carpet, the really soft beds, the curtains, the towels (so small and really worn and thin).

The hotel is across the street from one of the major railway lines in the west.

Stay somewhere else

The breakfast was in the attached restaurant - really meager and not very good.

Room Tip: One of the worst hotels I have stayed in.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trflyer

I have read your comments and I am apologize for the problems you experienced. We usually get good reviews for our breakfast, however, I have shown the review to my kitchen staff and advised them to be more diligent with the food and be sure the burners are working.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

The only upsides of this hotel is that our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Also the indoor pool is heated which was nice. I am confident I could have stayed somewhere less expensive and gotten a much better night's sleep.I experienced my worst night's sleep at a hotel at Red Lion Inn. I don't wake easily, but this hotel was so incredibly noisy (courtesy of the 1" gap beneath the hotel room door) that I continuously woke up throughout the night. I could hear other doors open and shut, and conversations taking place throughout the night (the most memorable being an long discussion in the hallway at 430am). I stayed on a Monday night in July, and the hotel wasn't exceptionally crowded-- just nonexistent soundproof around the hotel doors caused excessive outside noise levels inside the rooms.

When I was checking out I mentioned to the receptionist how the noise had prevented me from getting much sleep. The woman behind me in line chimed in agreement that she hardly slept too because it had been so noisy all night. They offered to give her some of her money back, but they told me they wouldn't do anything for me because I'd booked with Expedia.

An additional downfall was that my iPhone would not connect to the Internet (there was a signal, but the Internet is password protected and despite calling the front desk-- I still couldn't get access).

The shower in our room only output warm water at the hottest temperature setting. So if you like to take long hot showers, you'll likely be disappointed.

Breakfast is served from 6-9am. It was nothing special without much variety. The entire buffet menu consisted of: Scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, gravy and sausage, Danishes, toast, baby banana nut muffins, and a few types of cold cereal. There was no waffle maker, French toast, or pancakes

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Entlebuch
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The web site makes this place look amazing, and the lobby is really nice. There is a smell when you first walk in that I couldn't figure out, I thought maybe it was a cleaning fluid. It is the pool. There is an inside pool just past the lobby and the smell must be the chlorine.

Driving up, the hotel looked older, not like the new shiny web site. It was disappointing. The rooms are older, but maintained pretty well. The restaurant was decent for dinner but the breakfast buffet was just awful.

Room Tip: Park outside your hotel room window.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PeggyfromChicago
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The pool is great and the restaurant has good food at a good price. Children and pets are always welcome so it made us feel at home.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 11, 2012

During a family vacation out west, only one night was not pre-booked. We called Red Lion and a couple of other hotels when we got to town. Based on price and other reviews we picked the Red Lion. While it was obviously an older hotel, the room was quite clean and roomy. Breakfast was adequate, and my kids even enjoyed the pool before heading out.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were pleased that the facility provided clean beds and a clean washroom, BUT:

The chairs, mattresses and carpets were all stained (room 217)
The round table had not been cleaned at all
The door knob coming in to the room was broken and only worked in reverse
Only two of the five lamps worked
The coffee machine was available, but ther was nowhere to plug it in
They gave me a password for the Wifi ...and it didn't work

hUGE disappointment

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

First of all I would like to thank you for your review. Here at Red Lion Hotel in Gallup, we strive to make sure each and every guest is satisfied. I have made your review a priority with my maintenance staff and our housekeeping staff. We have checked each of your concerns and made any changes necessary. The Wi-Fi, was out in the area and we were having problems on this end of town. Because of your comment about the coffee maker, we have decided to move the coffee makers to a better location for the needs of our guests. I have spoken with the head housekeeper and the housekeeper that cleaned the room, and we have gone over your review with them. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know and we hope to see you on your next trip to Gallup and see we take our customers comments seriously.