“Better than expected”

Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Zamora, Spain
“Better than expected”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I had prepaid a 2Q room in this motel for 1 day for me, my wife and our child.
Later, I read Tripadvisor about it and became a bit scared because of the negative opinions.
However, I decided to go there anyway, and finally it was a good decision:
the room was clean, there was a free PC with connection to Internet, no problems with the neighbors and the pool was open and OK.
We didn't even suffer because of the (supposedly) noisy trains during the night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sherry m, Manager at Days Inn Gallup, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I"m glad you and your family enjoyed your stay while visiting Gallup, NM. Being in the heart of Histroic Route 66 you get to experince the beauty as well as the train. Again thank you for your stay at our motel. Sherry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have never felt so unsafe at any other Days Inn's I have stayed before.The doors didnt lock properly and i was scared to leave my belongings in the room. The room was below average, internet was super slow. I asked the front desk lady about food and she said everything around here is closed on sunday. I had to drive to the other part of the town to get something to eat. They need a major uplifting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank K_Shah29
sherry m, Manager at Days Inn Gallup, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
We aplogize for the less then postive experince. Since youir visit we have addressed your concerns with our staff. In addition, we have upgraded our internet service. Thank you for your review and we hope you had a chance to go the Red Rock State Park. Sherry
Larkspur, Colorado
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Do not book Days Inn East Gallup until you read all of the Trip Advisor reviews on this "faux" Days Inn, something I failed to do. I have stayed in over thirty Days Inn throughout the US and have never had this much filth with nightmare customer service to boot.

I booked this room on-line and arrived around 10:30pm. On-line, I booked two queen beds in a non-smoking room for $59.00 similar to other US Days Inn rates. Upon arrival, the night clerk advised me that only a room with two full sized beds was available and that the queen rooms were sold out. I asked to take a look at the room first before I would consider it. After having the desk clerk force me to leave my driver's license, I drove to a second building in the back of the property to view the room. As I got out of my car, I thought it was odd that 20-25 immigrants sat outside of numerous rooms in chairs drinking and smoking with all of the hotel doors open. It reminded me of a barrio summer night. I was hesitant to go past these people to look at the second floor room. I also noted many dogs running around both the floors without leashes. It was apparent that these rooms were rented out on a weekly or monthly basis to migrant workers.

Upon opening the door of the room, I was overwhelmed by a strong pet urine odor, peeling paint and loud noises all around me from all of the people partying in the hallways. I immediately went back to the front desk and said that the room would not be acceptable and to cancel my room and give me a refund. He said since I booked the room on-line he could not give me a refund because he did not have the credit card information on file. You could tell he had been through this song and dance before of people rejecting the room inventory. We went back and forth several times about the refund and got a flat out cold "no." The customer service skills of the night desk clerk were deplorable. He even acted hostile and angry towards me like I had caused the problem. There was no solution to this room problem in site and it was late and I was exhausted. One reason to book on line in advance is to have a guaranteed, paid for room so that the check-in can go as smoothly as possible.

After experiencing a huge lack of customer service from the night clerk, I got on the laptop in the two table eight chair lobby to re-book a different room somewhere else in town and to call the on-line booking agent, in other words "problem solve." I got a decent, clean room at the Red Lion Inn down the street for only ten dollars more per night. Do not be penny-wise and pound foolish with this motel.

By the way, the hotel told the booking agent that I would not be entitled to a refund because I stayed at the hotel more than 30 minutes. Regardless, they did not have my original room to begin with (two queen beds no smoking which would have justified the refund in and of itself). My booking agent took care of the refund of this due to the circumstances and they did not help me re-book another room promptly that night.

My next step is to contact Days Inn Corporation about this matter as this site is a disgrace to their organization.

Room Tip: The Days Inn Red Rock just west of Gallup looks really nice.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Oceandweller7
sherry m, Manager at Days Inn Gallup, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
We had a work crew from Texas working on the pipeline at the Refriany thats the reason why you saw so many people outside aslo if we did not have the room then you should have just cancel the stay we would have been happy to do that for you.

Travelers are raving about these Gallup hotels

Burbank, California
Reviewed June 25, 2012

A Grievance in Gallup

On the way from Fort Worth to Los Angeles I stopped for the night (after a 13 hour drive) in Gallup, New Mexico.

The Days Inn (at 1603 W. Hwy 66, Gallup, NM. 87301 and run by Emmad Tuqan) certainly did not look like the nicest motel on the street; actually, it looked pretty run down, but I was exhausted from the drive and just needed a bed. And besides, the sign said $39.00 for a single; my kind of price.

I parked and then went into the lobby to get a room. The lady behind the counter was nice enough, but informed me that the room was not $39.00, but now $44.00 for a single (they forgot to change the sign). I was too tired to argue about “bait & switch” false advertising so I took the room.

I lugged my suitcases and cooler up to the second floor room, opened the door, and ick! The room was not the best I had ever stayed in (not even in the top 50); the walls looked dirty, the carpet looked like it had never been steam-cleaned, and the air smelled moldy. Ok, moldy is not quite accurate. Let’s just say the air smelled “musty”. But again, I was too worn out to care. Besides, what did I expect for $39.00? Uh, I mean… $44.00 (plus tax).

As I unloaded my cooler into the tiny refrigerator, I realized that I had not eaten in many hours, and tired or not, I needed to get something into my stomach. I locked the smelly room, drove to a local fast-food joint a few blocks away, ordered some food, and came back to the motel room to snarf down a quick meal (if you can call it that).

After filling my gullet, I got ready to take a shower. The bathroom had a couple rust stains on the floor and a shoddily repaired hole in the shower stall. At least the water was warm. I got out of the shower, grabbed the cheap, not-so-soft, towel and began to dry myself off. Just as I was about half-way finished I noticed that the towel had a big brown stain on it. Yeah, I am not going to say what I think that stain was from. I think we can all already assume what that stain was without stating the obvious. I threw the towel on the floor, grabbed the second towel and found what looked like purple nail-polish stains on it. I did not have much choice at this point, and purple nail-polish stains seemed a better bet than an unknown brown-stained towel… So I finished drying off, put my boxers on, and went to go to bed.

I pulled the sheets back and found, not only a small, dime-sized, red stain in the middle of the bed (Can you guess what I thought that was?), but also a few long, black hairs scattered across the sheets – which we all know are not mine – because I am bald… and even when I did have hair, it was blonde. Road-weary or not, I was not sleeping on those dirty sheets.

I called the front desk to complain and ask for room service to replace the bedding. The lady apologized, told me there was no room service at this hour, and offered to put me in another room. I took her up on the offer, packed up my suitcase, unloaded the refrigerator back into my cooler, went and got the new key, did a quick once over on the new room, and then hauled my belongings into it to start all over again.

I unpacked my toiletries, and once again I emptied my cooler into the refrigerator, then got into my boxers, and prepared to collapse into bed. I pulled back the sheets, crawled between them, and the first thing I saw was a dead flea. I jumped out of bed and pulled the sheets loose to see what else I could find... And find I did; seeing what looked to be a dead baby cockroach entombed beneath the sheets. That was it! Exhausted or not, I was not staying at this dump another moment.

I got dressed, repacked my cooler, toiletries, and belongings, and then schlepped it all back downstairs. After repacking my car, I went back to the office so I could complain about the room, check-out, get my money back and then go find a clean motel to rest my weary head.

I told the lady that I was not happy, and that I was checking out and wanted a refund on my credit card because I was certainly not going to sleep in this dirty motel with dead bugs and stained sheets (stained towels, stains walls and stained carpets). Not knowing what to do, she feigned ignorance and called Emmad Tuqan (Manager) on the phone. She explained the situation to him, said “uh-huh” a lot, and then hung up the phone to tell me that she needed to examine the room(s). By all means, please do.

Like a scene out of an un-funny comedy, I followed the lady back to the rooms while she examined my grievances.

In the second room I had, she did not find the dead flea, but she did find and examine the “dead cockroach” – picking it up, looking closely at it, and then proclaiming it was not a cockroach. I told her that I did not care what it actually was, I was still checking out. We then proceeded to the first room that I had tried to get some rest in.

In this room the lady saw the red stain on the sheets and defended it by stating that it was a “Previous” stain from another guest.

I said “No kidding!”

She then asked about the hairs. I looked and they were gone. I don’t know where they went… Maybe the dead cockroaches weaved them into a sweater or something.

I went to the bathroom, grabbed the stained towels, and handed them to the lady. The first thing she said was “These are wet.”

“I know, I took a shower.”

“You took a shower and dried off with a stained towel?”

“I did not know it was stained until I started drying off.”

She looked at me like I was crazy and said “I really do not see anything wrong with these rooms.”

“Whether you do or not, I am still checking out, and I want a refund.”

Without another word, she left the room, and headed back to the office to report her findings to Emmad Tuqan. She told him the dead insect was not a cockroach, and that she only found a few “Previous” stains on the sheets and towels. She then did a few more “Uh-huhs”, hung up the phone, and told me they would not refund me.

I asked her if she was serious. She told me there was nothing wrong with the rooms; again repeating that they would not refund my credit card.

“Excuse me?”

She then gave me the excuse that it was because I had been in the rooms more than twenty (20) minutes.

“What?” I explained to her that I was not in the rooms for more that 20 minutes because I had went and gotten something to eat… and the rest of the time I was busy moving, unpacking, packing, moving, unpacking, and packing my belongings between the filthy rooms and my car.

She didn’t mean it, but she said “Sorry, but no!”

I told her that this whole situation was ridiculous, that I would be writing a bad review about this fiasco, that I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau, and that I would also be contacting the Days Inn corporate headquarters to complain; not only about the cruddy motel, but also about the way I was treated. Without another word from either of us, I left the dingy, bug-infested motel.

Thirty minutes later:

On the other side of town, I found a very clean motel, with a nice, friendly and professional staff (for three times the price). I finally got some much-needed sleep.

Room Tip: Find another motel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank WearyPhotoTraveller
sherry m, Manager at Days Inn Gallup, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for the review. Sorry about your stay. I well look into this matter.
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband reserved and paid for a room here on line. I asked to see the room first before we checked in. It wasn't impressive at all and in fact the bathroom wall paint was peeling. That being said this particular area of Gallup has much worse looking motels along this stretch of highway. The weather was bad and dust and wind storms were happening that day. We chose to stay here because of that but would never stay there again. We asked if they had a AAA discount and were told that they do but since he paid on line they weren't allowed to make any adjustment. Even my husband, who is much less picky than I am, was not happy with the accommodations. We skipped the free breakfast.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lilkittysmom
Thank you for your review. Sorry about the stay i well look into matter to fix the issue.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stopped to stay in Gallup last night on our road trip and thought we were getting a great deal to stay at a Days Inn for $60. But after moving all our stuff into the room and getting settled in, I pulled back the sheets to find fresh mouse droppings on top of the fitted sheet. Gross. The whole hotel is very run down which I could have overlooked if it was clean, but this place is NOT. We ended up at the Quality Inn just across I-40 for $30 more dollars and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY. Especially when you consider that they also offer a complimentary hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, waffles, biscuits and gravy, donuts, cereal, coffee, juice, and milk. That more than made up for the price difference right there....by comparison, the Days Inn now seems like a rip-off. A dirty, pest ridden rip-off.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AmberMayHRCO
Sorry our motel was like that also we check the room after you left we did not find any droppings and some one else stayed the nite. also gald you had a hot breakfast there.
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This was one of the very rare times when I checked in, saw the room & immediately went back & asked for a refund (which they did give)

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Roadtrip412
Well sorry but there are lots of people that like our motel!! sorry it has not like the best but we try to keep it up to standards. At least we gave your money back so not your not crying!