“A dump”

Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“A dump”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We got stuck here after the quality inn screwed us out of our room at midnight. What a nightmare. The lobby stunk! We couldn't get out of there fast enough. The lamps didn't work and it wasn't clean. We didn't showering the morning. Just got in the car and drove as far away from New Gallup as we could.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loriw725

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Maryland
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Arriving in Gallup after dark, found there were many motels to choose from. Unfortunately, most of them are near the Santa Fe tracks and you get loud trains coming through 24/7 -- not just the rumble but they blow their horns frequently. Bring earplugs if you want to sleep in Gallup. So I can't single out the Royal Holiday for that particular issue. However, the motel was falling apart -- literally. Fixtures in the bathroom were so flimsy that they fell off the wall with barely a touch. Some amateur appeared to have done their electrical work, too; the bathroom's electrical socket showed exposed wiring because the faceplate was off center. There was a big hole in the wall inside the shower. Floor was uneven; felt as if carpet was laid down over busted concrete. The door on our level that was supposedly the "Emergency Fire Exit" was padlocked from the outside, so it's a good thing we didn't have a fire. I can't judge the continental breakfast; we left at the crack of dawn to get away and didn't partake. I later found out that this establishment was formerly AAA-approved but was de-listed in 2010 -- and justifiably so.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JF22

Travelers are raving about these Gallup hotels

Columbia
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We pulled into Gallup rather late and very tired. The Royal Holiday was cheap, but it was listed in the AAA book - how bad could it be?

At a glance, the room looked fine - clean and pleasantly decorated. It soon revealed itself to be a collection of booby traps. The refrigerator just plain didn't work, and the door handle for the microwave was missing.

We did, at least have enough water pressure in the shower. Unfortunately, it would've been sufficient to knock over an elephant. I pulled the drain plug, and the entire mechanism came loose. Also, there was a large crack in the wall, and a discoloration showing where the soap dish had fallen off. I very lightly bumped into the towel rack next to the sink, several parts fell off. When my boyfriend tried to use the hair dryer, the entire unit fell off the wall.

The scariest aspect of our stay was the fire hazard. The cover plate on the outlet next to the sink was offset, and wires were visible in the wall. I wouldn't have been at all surprised to find that the smoke alarm was painted onto the wall. I was to afraid to check. The most fun part is that door designated as our fire exit was locked with a padlock.

Oh yeah, don’t get too excited by the picture of the hot tub on this page. A sign will tell you that the pool area is being renovated. In the light of day, we realized that it is, in fact, completely derelict. Bricks from the decorative retaining wall had collapsed onto the parking lot, and large segments of the roof are coming loose.

If this place meets AAA standards, we're all in trouble. Seriously. This was the worst motel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank GoBanana
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 6, 2009

One of Gallups hotelstrips cheapest hotels. Not the cheapest though. Room was big with two queens. Relatively clean. Little outdated.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peteiq
Central Coast, California
Reviewed July 30, 2009

This motel was listed as a Best Western in my Auto Club New Mexico Tourbook. They did tell me when I called that they were no longer a Best Western, but they did have two queen beds that we needed, were near where we wanted to eat, told us they had "standard continental breakfast" and the price seemed reasonable based on what we paid elsewhere. Since we knew we were going to arrive pretty late, I felt we should make phone reservations rather than take our chances after getting there, and that's how we ended up here. As soon as we walked into the room I knew this was a mistake. We only stayed because we drove over 850 miles that day and the drivers were dead tired, plus it started raining after we moved into the room. So we stayed. It was a miserable night. The air conditioning unit is located in the back part of the room, where the luggage racks and hangers are, as well as the sink and vanity. The air conditioner made a lot of noise but didn't seem to do much more than circulate the air. it did not cool. Everything is really really shabby. Tiles on the bathroom floor move. There are strange bumps under the carpet. Sheets were clean and the TV worked, but there was no refrigerator or microwave, something that is usually included in that price range in the national chain hotels. So we didn't sleep well as the room was unbearably hot. The next morning we went for the "continental breakfast". This consisted of coffee with powdered creamer (no milk or liquid cream) and 5 donuts (yes FIVE donuts). There was absolutely nothing else - no juice, no cereal, no fruit, NOTHING.
This motel should charge $39.99/night. At that level, I would say we got what we paid for. But at $69.99 the place is grossly overpriced. They charge same as those motels that deliver a good value but they do not deliver the goods. Stay away from this place. There are plenty of better choices along exit 16 or 26, depending on your direction of travel. Exit 20 is the oldest part of the old Route 66, and I would say the least desirable part of town to stay in.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Tina380
DC area
Reviewed July 28, 2009

My colleague choose this hotel so I didn't have much of a say in where we stayed. This was the worst expierence I've had in a hotel and I've done a great deal of traveling for work. The room was ok except the hairdryer didn't work. I am already weary of the cleaniness most hotel rooms (even nice ones!) so this didn't impress me. I am a young woman and I was traveling basically alone (my colleagues arrived at different times) and I didn't feel totally safe here. The lock was ok on the door but I could hear yelling in the next room during the night and there were a number of sketchy looking men sitting around when I arrived. The woman at the front desk was nice though.

However, the worst part of the expeirnece is that the motel is directly across from the railroad tracks. The trains go by all day and all night and kept me up most of the night. Between the loud neighbors and the extemely loud whistles I managed about 3.5 hours of sleep the one night I stayed. Would not go back.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Arizona
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Hotel property is older, rooms were dated but clean and comfortable. They charged a nonrefundable deposit for our dogs. However, we were happy to pay it considering other hotels we checked didn't allow pets. The hotel is across the street from a railroad track and trains were frequent throughout the evening, although we didn't notice many throughout the night. A free continental breakfast is served in the lobby. Customer service was friendly and helpful. Nearest restaurant is Sonic Drive in, located just across the parking lot from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)