“Most Comfortable Bed Ever!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Gallup
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Gallup
American Fork, Utah
“Most Comfortable Bed Ever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

It has been a few months since we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Gallup; but I was just thinking about the trip and decided I needed to write a review. May daughter and I stayed in a double queen room, and that was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The mattress was the best. And the sheets, pillows, and comforter were wonderful. I needed a good night's sleep that night and I got one. I know Hampton Inns have their own special mattresses,but we stayed at another Hampton Inn a few days later in Amarillo, TX, and the bed was not as comfortable. I don't know what the difference was. Also, we found the staff there at the Hampton Inn in Gallup to be very accommodating. The first room we were assigned to was next door to a very loud, screaming toddler. I told them at the front desk that I needed to get a good night's sleep and would need a quieter room. They quickly assigned us to another room which was more quiet and, as I mentioned, very comfortable. I can't even remember the breakfast the next morning, but I do remember the bed. It was worth the stay. I might mention that there are two Hampton Inns in Gallup, which is a little confusing. We didn't know there were two Inns and actually had the address for the other Hampton Inn on Twin Buttes drive with us. But we saw the Hampton Inn on Maloney Drive and thought that was the one we were looking for. It was very tricky to get to with the road construction. When we realized we were not at the Inn we were looking for we decided to stay where we were since it was kind of late. I think the Inn on Maloney Drive costs more than the one on Twin Buttes Drive. But I'm glad we stayed where we did because the bed was so comfortable.

• Liked — Comfortable Bed
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

We like the Hampton Inn chain very much and this one shares the usual good qualities - very nice beds and bed linen; good qualities towels and nice bathrooms.
I would repeat the caution of a review below, however, on the service at this particular location. (Re unauthorized charge to a credit card...) We paid $125 for our one night stop (including tax) which I think is quite expensive for a motel by the Interstate in rural western New Mexico. I left my pajamas in the bathroom (certainly my mistake) and called the evening we left (from the next hotel having found my pajamas missing ...) to ask if they could send them on. The person said yes.
Four days later, having heard nothing, I called back to find no record of the phone call and the person who answered the phone said they had not found them. I spoke to another person (now the third) who said she would look (what an idea!) and soon called me back to say they did in fact have them. Good - although three people to get to that fact seems unnecessary.
Then however this person ("the manager") asked what I wanted to do with them - obviously mail them as I'm not going to drive over 1000 miles back to get them. She said she would bill our credit card for Fed EX or UPS shipping. I said how much - she said she didn't know. I said we don't allow open charges - what would I do if she charged $50? We soon were into a tart exchange. I noted the hairdryer in our room didn't work and offered sardonically to trade her a discount on the $125 for the non working hair dryer for the (very small) cost of mailing (very light summer) pajamas. She said to my astonishment that hair dryers were "complimentary" - I'm not even sure what that means in this context but apparently that for $125 you shouldn't expect to have a working one.
Finally she said she would mail them back to me as a courtesy -
when they arrived, I noted the postage at $4.05 via good old US mail....

I would have been happy to pay for the actual cost of shipping, but I would never agree to an unspecified charge on my card. However I think for that price in that location a quick offer for the hotel to mail the pajamas as a courtesy would be a nice gesture.
And I would like to have the hairdryer working as a reasonable expectation as a part of the package too.
Overall if the Hampton Inn chain want to charge in this price category, we're willing to pay it to have what they offer but only if the nice bedding and showers come with consistently good service. I should say, our experience here was against our experience with other Hampton Inns which seem to be managing good service too (as well as working hair dryers..), but we would not stay at this particular one again. There is another Hampton Inn in Gallup and on our frequent drives along I10, we'll be trying that one.

• Stayed July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Texastrips
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

We stayed at this Hamption Inn on April 15, 2006. The stay was one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. The room was great, the service was fine and the breakfast was nice. They even gave us a sack lunch to eat on the road. The problem was when we received our credit card statement. The room amount was correct but 12 days later the put on another charge accusing us of damaging their carpet. Which We Did Not Do. I would suggest when you check out you have the manager inspect your room before you leave.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

We drove into Gallup from Albuquerque, a two hour drive or so. The scenery is very picturesque around town, but the city itself is UGLY!!! Gallup appears to be a victim of the interstate system. It's a linear town stretched along five or six miles of I-40. The commercial strip along Route 66 is filled with broken down old motels, pawn shops and tacky strip shopping centers. Many of the buildings have iron bars over the windows. I don't recall even minimal landscaping or any other civic improvement to soften the rough edges. We were not impressed with our first glimpse of Gallup.

However, my teenage son and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites. The room was calm, cool, quiet and inviting. The bathroom was immaculate, well designed and fully stocked. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We particularly enjoyed the nice woman who greeted each person during breakfast and offered bag lunches each day of our stay. The hotel seems isolated from downtown Gallup, although it is located near the town's largest shopping center, the Rio West Mall. There are fast food restaurants, a WalMart and Home Depot nearby. One does not have to rely on downtown for supplies and other essentials.

Main problem encountered: The hotel is located on the far western edge of Gallup. This became a logistical problem for us as other members of our group happened to stay at hotels on the extreme eastern part of town. Furthermore, the Maloney Avenue interchange at I-40 is undergoing a tremendous reconstruction effort. We found there was no easy access to east-bound interstate traffic (back to Gallup). The detour took us MILES out of our way, through the hills behind Gallup and past the University of New Mexico. Great for sight-seeing; not so wonderful if you simply want to get back to town. We quickly learned that most drivers made illegal turns to access the interstate to avoid detours. Another problem is access to the hotel from the interstate. TIP: Go through the Rio West Mall, adjacent to the interstate. Until we figured this out, we found ourselves driving back and forth trying to find the hotel. We could see it but we couldn't find it. All in all, the Hampton Inn and Suites proved to be a tranquil oasis in the middle of a bleak desert town. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank Midwestern_Dad
Oklahoma City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2006

We stayed one night while on our way home from vacation. This is a brand new Hampton Inn so it has the wonderful new amenities: best mattresses, luxury linens, larger rooms. Our room was on the top floor between the ice maker and housekeeping, plus the hotel was full of kids, so we were worried about noise. Because the room has a long "hallway" from the door, past the bathroom to the bed, noise wasn't a problem at all!

We discovered the next morning our door wouldn't full close and lock, but the hotel staff was quick to start working on it as we left. All of the staff from the front desk to housekeeping to the breakfast hostess were very cheerful and helpful. The room was rather expensive for the middle of the desert, especially considering there at least 5 other hotels within walking distance (probably all lesser quality, however).

WalMart and Home Depot are right there, along with a myriad of restaurants.

Wireless Internet didn't work very well at all in our room, but the wired access worked fine. The fresh breakfast included eggs and ham, cereal and milk, muffins and bagels, and fruit.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank 5genoklahoman
Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2005

We were en route between Illinois and Arizona and decided on an overnight stop in Gallup. Drove around a few of the hotels and saw the Hampton Inn - the key part to us was "suites" because we were hoping for a separate sleeping area since we have 2 little kids with us. As it turned out the Inn has been open less than 2 months and it shows. Everything was immaculate and neat as a pin. Service was super.

The breakfast (included) was terrific for this type of hotel and the woman monitoring the breakfast was a doll - she kept coming over to see what she could do for our family and then even gave our kids coloring books to keep them busy while we ate.

Unfort. they weren't separate rooms but it was a spacious enough set-up that we could have a king bed, put one child in the sofa sleeper (that WASN'T creepy as most are) and the 2nd child in an AeroBed that we brought with us. Our comforter was this amazing poofy thing that invited a good night's sleep. And the room had free high-speed internet with its own ethernet cable. Pretty much for $100 a night it was worth every penny.

Stayed December 2005