“Take out”

The Rocket
Ranked #94 of 106 Restaurants in Gallup
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We ordered our food to go, Fast service and good food. Being a vegetarian it's sometimes hard to get good Mexican food, This Rocket has a full menu and we went for Mexican.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Not bad food and they deliver. Our favorite so far has been the fried zuchini.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

The front desk at a Gallup hotel had told me The Rocket delivered. I saw the menu in the room and decided to give it a try. The girl who answered was did her worst to help me with my order. Not only was she very short with me but I was told that they couldn't deliver to where I was staying (west side in Gallup). After I made the point a local hotel front desk recommended them she said there was a delivery charge of 4 or 5 dollars (can't recall which) and a minimum order of 20 dollars. I found this disappointing from a restaurant that advertises they deliver in a small town. I didn't continue the conversation and ordered from a national pizza chain that didn't have a problem with my location or that I was ordering for one.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

A local family member had hyped this place as a great combo Italian and Mexican eatery where the local hang out. I was disappointed.

We arrived fairly close to closing time and were one of three tables in the place. There were four of us. The server was friendly but seemed distracted. The wine was served in glasses like I have not seen since the 1960's - small and stingy. The same with the cocktails that were ordered.

Some of our party ordered Mexican entrees and, tired of Mexican after a week of travel and eating nothing but, I ordered a baked rigatoni dish with meat sauce. The Mexican food was raved about by our local host, the other two of our party who were traveling with me rated it "adequate".

My rigatoni came out NOT baked and not topped with cheese. I pointed this out to the server who sort of acted like she had no clue what to do about the complaint. She asked me if I wanted her to melt some cheese on top. I said, "that would be good." I was hoping the kitchen would slide it into a baking dish, top it with cheese, and slide it under the salamander for a bit of melting and browning. No such luck. The same plate was returned to me with a pile of pre-shredded, bagged, Mozzarella cheese dumped on top that had been melted in a microwave oven. I smiled wanly and accepted my fate as my dining companions were more than half way through their meals. When I finally took a bite I discovered the pasta water had not been salted for the cooking of the pasta and the plate was running with water under the whole mess. Ugh.

At the return of my plate from the 2nd round in the kitchen my companions ordered a second round of drinks from the bar. It took until we were all done eating to even see our server again and then she did not have our drinks with her. We reminded her and she appeared with them finally.

All I can say is it was good to be with family we had not seen in a while as that is the only thing that saved this experience from being a total disaster. The parking lot is pot hole riddled and dark at night, the place is next to a liquor store/bar and the other vehicles in the lot were pretty tawdry.

Never through it would be so hard to get a good meal in Gallup but this is the second strike out in as many trips. Too bad it was to late to hit Earl's or The Ranch Kitchen when we got there that night.

1  Thank Etoile_of_NE_Ohio
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Have eaten there before and Chicken Taco Salad is okay but the waitress, Nancy make up for it with her friendly disposition. Ordered ir for take out and was given the BEEF taco salad...not what I called in for. BEEF WAS UNEVENLY COOKED AND HAD THE TEXTURE AND ODOR OF DOG FOOD. Save your $$$!

Been to The Rocket? Share your experiences!