“Authentic but a little greasy...”
Review of Jerry's Cafe

Jerry's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 102 Restaurants in Gallup
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Kansas City, Missouri
“Authentic but a little greasy...”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is a tiny restaurant that serves authentic Mexican food. It is clearly very popular with the local Hispanics and Native Americans, which is a good sign, of course. We were seated and served promptly. Our food was tasty, if a bit too greasy. I can't say this place is a great value, as it was not exactly inexpensive considering the portion size and the very plain nature of the restaurant itself.

Visited December 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good place for down home cooking”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stopped in for a quick lunch. Service was fast and food was tasty! Mostly locals in here, and they were friendly. Vendors may visit your table selling jewelry. You can ask for a "do not disturb" sign if this bothers you, although they were not pushy in any way. I had a huge burger between 2 tortillas and my wife had an enchilada and tamale smothered in red chili.

• Visited December 2013
Earth
“Local Favorite, Over-rated”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were drawn to Jerry's Cafe by the affirmative recommendation of the front desk clerk at our hotel, the TripAdvisor reviews and a site inspection of the property at around 3pm the day we were in Gallup. At that time, every seat in the restaurant was taken. We were quite excited as we thought this combination had all the markings of a first rate dining experience.

Sadly, that was not to be. Surely, when we arrived around 5pm once again every seat was taken with what looked like a local crowd. Another couple from out of town followed us in and sat in a center booth directly across from us. They had literally changed their travel itinerary to include Jerry's in their weekend travels from Albuquerque to Phoenix. We were all quite excited by the prospect of a meal at Jerry's.

The food was just so so. Nothing special. It appeared to us that the sheer volume of diners at the restaurant required a lot of prep early in the day with a lot of quickly put together plates being turned out in the evening. The appearance of the plates was one jumble of red sauce and melted cheese with beans and rice. There was no obvious flavor differentiation let alone texture. In fact, the plate presentation and flavors were similar to a cafeteria.

After we had finished, the woman across from us summed up our mutual experience by saying "If this is the best place in Gallup, I wonder how bad the other places are?"

I think Jerry's Cafe is an acquired taste. Obviously it has its fans and perhaps those fans have raised expectations to an unrealistic level. The fact does remain that Jerry's is ever popular with its local crowd and that is probably what matters most to the proprietors.

Would not go out of our way to eat here again.

• Visited December 2013
“Yummy!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was the only freckle-face in this old-fashioned diner, and I felt right at home! The breakfast plates are huge -- I watched every one that went by -- and mine was delicious. Considering how little was left on other plates, I suspect they were equally good. I wish I could have stuck around for lunch or dinner, too! If you're looking for good old-fashioned New Mexico cuisine, this is the place!

• Visited November 2013
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts
“Great local food and atmosphere”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After multiple trips to Gallup, my friend finally took me to this hidden local gem. It's small and non-descript, but the breakfasts are awesome. The huevos rancheros "Christmas Tree"-style - with red and green chile sauce - were delicious with beans, hash browns and a fresh sopapilla on the side. My friend ordered the breakfast burrito, which was so huge it could have fed both of us with some leftover.

• Visited October 2013