“Local Favorite, Over-rated”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Earth
“Local Favorite, Over-rated”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were drawn to Jerry's Cafe by the affirmative recommendation of the front desk clerk at our hotel, the TripAdvisor reviews and a site inspection of the property at around 3pm the day we were in Gallup. At that time, every seat in the restaurant was taken. We were quite excited as we thought this combination had all the markings of a first rate dining experience.

Sadly, that was not to be. Surely, when we arrived around 5pm once again every seat was taken with what looked like a local crowd. Another couple from out of town followed us in and sat in a center booth directly across from us. They had literally changed their travel itinerary to include Jerry's in their weekend travels from Albuquerque to Phoenix. We were all quite excited by the prospect of a meal at Jerry's.

The food was just so so. Nothing special. It appeared to us that the sheer volume of diners at the restaurant required a lot of prep early in the day with a lot of quickly put together plates being turned out in the evening. The appearance of the plates was one jumble of red sauce and melted cheese with beans and rice. There was no obvious flavor differentiation let alone texture. In fact, the plate presentation and flavors were similar to a cafeteria.

After we had finished, the woman across from us summed up our mutual experience by saying "If this is the best place in Gallup, I wonder how bad the other places are?"

I think Jerry's Cafe is an acquired taste. Obviously it has its fans and perhaps those fans have raised expectations to an unrealistic level. The fact does remain that Jerry's is ever popular with its local crowd and that is probably what matters most to the proprietors.

Would not go out of our way to eat here again.

• Visited December 2013

“Yummy!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was the only freckle-face in this old-fashioned diner, and I felt right at home! The breakfast plates are huge -- I watched every one that went by -- and mine was delicious. Considering how little was left on other plates, I suspect they were equally good. I wish I could have stuck around for lunch or dinner, too! If you're looking for good old-fashioned New Mexico cuisine, this is the place!

• Visited November 2013
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts
“Great local food and atmosphere”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After multiple trips to Gallup, my friend finally took me to this hidden local gem. It's small and non-descript, but the breakfasts are awesome. The huevos rancheros "Christmas Tree"-style - with red and green chile sauce - were delicious with beans, hash browns and a fresh sopapilla on the side. My friend ordered the breakfast burrito, which was so huge it could have fed both of us with some leftover.

Edmond, Oklahoma
“Very cool little place”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was a cool little place to stop in on our way through town. Tiny little tables, friendly wait staff and a flash back to the 1950's. The food was acceptable, the staff was excellent and the prices were good. We enjoyed the place more for the atmosphere than anything else. Stop by and see an old school café.

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Don't Skip Jerry's”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

While driving into New Mexico, my boyfriend and I weren't sure which restaurant we should go to (there are a number of choices). Finally, after perusing TripAdvisor for awhile, we settled on Jerry's. And I'm glad we did.

You can definitely tell that it's a place where the locals frequent. And although it's a little on the small side, we got a seat right away. We ordered the chips and salsa, which I highly recommend in order to get your meal started off just right. Our food was delicious--the chicken in our tacos and (dish I'm forgetting the name of right now--so sorry!) was incredible. And the sopas! Heavenly. Seriously, you have to sit down at Jerry's and (eat) for yourself. Two thumbs up from me and the boyfriend.