“Great Stay”

Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great Stay”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed one night in Gallup on our way to the Albuquerque, NM Balloon Fiesta. The location was near the I-40 but not too near to hear the car noises. Free FULL breakfast in the morning. Close to dining (walkable) soft beds. nice room. Gas nearby, of course

Room Tip: Order in advance.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shell87124

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
litllemermaid
Reviewed October 13, 2013

After my Dad having driven through 47 of the 48 states we had to make a trip to New Mexico for state number 48! I really enjoyed the one night here. We did arrive late and left fairly early so unfortunately didn't see much of the hotel but what I did see was all great. The only disadvantage was being a platinum member my Dad was not recognised as he always is in every IHG hotel-just a simple thank you is lovely. Also when I entered afterwards I wasn't greeted at all. Other than this the hotel was clean, in a good location and beds comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank litllemermaid
Butte, Montana, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I only stayed one night, but it was wonderful. The room we stayed in was very clean and big. The beds were very comfortable, décor was great, and I love the color of the throw blankets at the end of the beds. Plus I really enjoyed the soft and firm pillows. It was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angelina M
PHOENIX, AZ
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The entire hotel is clean and the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. The location is close to downtown, shopping and nearby activities. Plenty of parking near entrances. Staff gave us directions and instruction on shopping and what to avoid.

Room Tip: Second floor was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was very disappointed to inquire about the swimming pool to be told first of all it was closed and the second day they were waiting for a part and on the third day still not working. The evening desk clerk was about the most unfriendly person I have ever met - lacking in people skills at a minimum and unprofessional. I prefer a room on the first floor as per my request, but was told point blank how full they were so to the 3rd floor I went dutifully. Internet is provided, but goes in and out - not terribly reliable for business travel.

To be fair, the rooms are clean and comfortable, but they've lost my business because the hotel is not run properly and it shows.

Room Tip: First floor is close to the breakfast bar.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Gallup East, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear eds44,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. Rest assured that these will be shared to our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fallbrook, California
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had a little glitch checking in due to a recent storm and power outage, but the desk clerk made it right, and upgraded my room. My room was VERY quiet, I didn't know it had rained until I went outside (I actually thought we may have had tremors due to a shaking feeling in the room, and seeing the diet coke on the night stand sloshing back and forth), maybe thunder accompanied that? I didn't hear either none the less!
My room was immaculate, and I didn't hear any noise from any other guest at all while in my room!

It did seem a little pricey to me, but it was a great night's sleep!

Room Tip: I was in a King Deluxe with a frig and microwave, very nice room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Santa Ana, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I actually had two stays within a week of each other, but the experiences were nearly identical.

There was a Thursday night in room 220 which had a king bed and walk in shower (all in $120, purchased through Hotwire) and a Tuesday night in room 200 which was two queens and a combo tub/shower ($150 total, booked through the hotel website).

The rooms are large, rather new, and clean. There's a large mini-fridge (with a freezer section that is very handy), hair dryer, microwave, iron and board, clock radio, a nice desk and work chair, and comfy firm bed(s). The TV is HD but all programming looked SD to me, and the remote is nice. There's plenty of channels, including HBO. The in-wall climate unit worked well and quietly. The window does open, slightly, for fresh air if desired. The showerhead is adjustable in spray and angle, and the pressure is not too bad. The toiletries sucked. Bad.

The HIE provides free wifi (which always worked well) free breakfast (more later), a couple of well-located side doors, indoor hallways, and a well-lit parking lot. It's a little expensive for a roadside flop, and there are lots of hotels in town.

The staff was kind of taciturn at check in, not exactly warm fuzzies, but certainly businesslike. I recommend that you specify your room preferences well in advance-I was "pre-assigned" before check in so I couldn't get my preferred high floor.

The hotel is off the E Gallup exit from the I40. It's located *behind* La Quinta Inn and Denny's, so look for the sign just east of the exit, almost right next to it.

Besides the Denny's, there's no restaurant nearby, but fast food and a few other options are down the road. Sonic, McDonalds, and Wendys are the brand names, plus a few local joints. On the other side of the Interstate, on the west side of Gallup, is a Walmart and other businesses-there might be restaurants there, but I didn't get close enough to check out the scene. There's a Shell station close by the hotel, and the store there has a good selection of stuff.

Breakfast was...free. The presentation was unappetizing, with plastic pull-out trays under heat lamps. Scrambled eggs, very sad looking thin bacon, biscuits, and gravy endure those conditions. But there's all sorts of other stuff: bread choices, fruit, watery juices, yogurt, pancake machine, coffee, tea, etc.

Nice stays, and I'd probably swing by again. There are many other choices for all budgets and tastes, but if $150 or so is OK with you, then this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo