“A hole in the wall mom & pop joint”

El Metate Tamale Factory
Ranked #13 of 101 Restaurants in Gallup
Cuisines: Mexican
“A hole in the wall mom & pop joint”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This restaurant is not frequented very often so don't worry about a rush or waiting in line. Their salsa is rather spicy but very good none the less. The carnitas are also very very good. I would recommend this if you are looking for more authentic Mexican Cuisine. They will not disappoint.

Visited February 2012

Yorba Linda, California
“What a surprise!!!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We read reviews of this restaurant on another travel site and we had to try it. We were staying in a motel that was freeway close and no obvious restaurant choices for dinner. We plugged the address into our GPS and found ourselves in an older residential area. We were sure we had gotten lost.

The Tamale factory is located in a converted home. It is pink with yellow on the side. Parking is in the back. We were the only car in the small parking lot and when we walked around to the front it was dark and empty inside and it was only 6:45pm. We almost turned around, but the door was open, so we went in.

There was only one woman working, but she was friendly and helpful. She brought us a basket of the most wonderful chips and green salsa I have ever had ( and I live in Southern California) .We ordered the 3 tamale plate (chicken, pork and vegetarian) with green sauce and the 3 steak taco plate (soft tacos). All were just excellent.

Obviously this is a very informal place, so dress is super casual. Don't be afraid of the location and go on in, even if it is dark inside. The food was wonderful. I doubt I will every have the opportunity to eat here again, but if I do find myself in Gallup this will be my first stop. The chips and green salsa were just awesome.

The restaurant is located in a residential area several miles off exit 16 on HWY 40.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank luvinlifewithu
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“great local find”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Small Mom and Pop restaurant with casual local atmosphere. Good food. Large portions. Ate here the most during my week stay.

Visited February 2012
Cary, il
“Great Little Place”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were traveling down I-40 and read some reviews of this place. We were so glad we stopped. This is a small Mexican restuarant in a residential part of Gallup. As the gps was guiding us there, we thought we might have put in the wrong address, but there it was surrounded by homes. The enchilades were wonderful. My tamale was homemade and perfect. The green salsa and chips were fresh and outstanding.

While this place didn't look like much from the outside, the food was authentic Mexican and all homemade. Well worth the side trip of the interstate.

• Visited January 2012