“Vergies Local Mexican Food”

Virgie's Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #9 of 115 Restaurants in Gallup
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 22, 2015

Vergies was referred to us by the hotel front desk attendant. Small local Mexican Restaurant - food was very good. Staff was super friendly and helpful with the menu. Chicken Enchiladas, Tamales, Green Chiles were excellent! Typical small town, local diner, but with very good food, hit the spot!

Date of visit: March 2015
1  Thank HollyBWhite

Reviewed March 4, 2015

This place is the worst, if not the worst, its right near the top. Anyone who tells you the food here is good, needs help. Gordon Ramsey would run from this place screaming.

The chips are old, the salsa has not flavor and the food we ordered was, well dare I say it, awful!

The hotel were we stayed recommended it as a locals place and it may be so, but I for sure will never ever go back. I will eat a packaged burrito from a gas station first.

Date of visit: February 2015
Reviewed March 2, 2015

This family owned restaurant was just what the doctor ordered after a long day of driving west on I-40. We asked our hotel attendant where the locals eat nearby and he recommended Vergies. And we were not disappointed. Even in the bad, snowy weather, the parking lot was full (usually a good sign).

My wife had the home made stew (reminded me of Cocido de Res). I had the Chica Steak. Both were excellent! The steak comes with rice, beans and one very thick (New Mexico style) tortilla.

For dessert, ask about the Sopapilla (fried tortilla sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar). Not too sweet, just right.

Date of visit: March 2015
1  Thank Bobbyodawg
Reviewed March 1, 2015

When you first pull up and see an Adult book store on the one end of the building... and a Chinese Massage place as the other neighbor... you think.. what? Inside is clearly an old, family friendly establishment. It was a very busy Friday night. We went for the fish and chips during lent. I suspect it was pre battered frozen fish... it was still tasty and crispy. The cod was flakey and tender. Decent portions. The servers were working hard just to keep up. The bussers could not get tables cleaned fast enough as more families came in through the door. I will go back and try some of the other items on the menu sometime in the future.

Date of visit: February 2015
1  Thank RoamNHoliday
Reviewed November 18, 2014 via mobile

After a long day on the road Virgies was a great way to end our day. There's nothing fancy about this place, just plain good old fashioned, homemade New Mexican food. Try the cheese crisp! We had a couple of the combo plates and even bought 2 dozen flour tortillas to take home. $3.50 a dz and their huge!

2  Thank Ric F