“Great service/food”
Review of Badlands Grill

Badlands Grill
Ranked #1 of 101 Restaurants in Gallup
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Not a chain, Badlands offers true New Mexico hospitality and taste- for those of you traveling through, it's the place where locals go when they want a meal that's truly a cut above the rest, and relax with friends and neighbors. There's no dress code...no pretentiousness...just beef that's been wet-aged for 21 days, cut in-house and cooked to order...combine these with an ice cold beer or excellent bottle of wine... and you've got the stuff a cattleman's dreams are made of!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service/food”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I really enjoyed the service Katrina provided...the 1 lb burger with green chile and sweet potatoe fries was off the chart.

1 Thank Shane Q

Mesa, Arizona
“Good Eating Experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our hotel recommended the restaurant. We both ordered the bacon cheddar cheese burger, one with sweet potato fries and the other regular fries. The burgers were great and the portions were large. The dinner also came with a choice of soup or salad - we opted for salad which was very fresh. We had creme brulee for dessert and it was excellent. We received great service from Katrina and would recommend this restaurant to anyone going through Gallup.

“Minority Opinion”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

In spite of the two Trip Advisor certificates in the lobby attesting to "excellence", we found the whole experience to be no more than average all around. Two friends who live in Gallup and the desk clerk at our hotel said this is the best restaurant in town. We had better food elsewhere in town. The I had steak was no more than OK and my wife's salmon was less than OK. The presentation was marginal, the salad was lettuce with a few shreds of carrot with dressing from a jar that barely qualified as anything resembling blue cheese. We didn't see anything resembling the high ratings so many others have reported.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Scul2137ptor
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“STAY AWAY!!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I ate at this restaurant and got violently ill. I called them later and they could care less. The Badlands Grill ruined my trip!!! I have never had a worse experience at a restaurant before and I have been to hundreds. The atmosphere is okay but the food was not cheap. Do not make the same mistake I did by going there.

2 Thank Andrew1294
Wmataya, Owner at Badlands Grill, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I do not respond to many reviews as I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. We only strive to achieve our customers highest opinion. I am very bothered and upset by the serious accusations in your review. We have been open almost 5 years and have never had one health code violation as we practice all safe food handling procedures. Please call me and let me know what you ate so that I can check the product immediately and if there is something wrong I can correct it .
William Mataya 505 722 5157
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“one of the worst eating experiences of my life”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I don't normally bash a place but this was a topper of bad places for me. I will admit is it the better of all the choices in gallup but that's not really saying much for this area. as you walk in the parking lot is not kept up and the dinning chairs are basically couches on wheels that are way to short for the height of the tables. they try to have the table set up like an upscale place but then they add paper of the nice table cloth for easier clean up.
now to the menu and food. this place is very over priced. market for an elf steak was 55 dollars for 8oz which Is a joke. I ordered the seared tuna steak. they asked how I wanted it cooked which is odd because normally when they are seared it is raw on the inside which is how I wanted it so I ordered it accordingly. A salad came with the meal I had a regular salad with a raspberry vinaigrette. the dressing was the worst dressing I have ever had. I am assuming they tried to make it in house and failed horribly. fifteen min later the tuna came out, I cut it open and it was near cooked all the way through to the point it was chewy. my friend ordered the same meal and his was rarer then mine and he ordered his medium. I politely told the waitress she promptly brought it back to the chef(cook) and came back almost 10 min later with the same plate I gave her. She proceeded to tell me that the chef(cook) used a meat thermometer and told me it was rare and was confused on how I wanted it cooked. A chef arguing with a customer is one the worst things anyone can do in a restaurant. after she took it back I waited another 15 min to get the food back. It tasted like something I would of gotten out of a freezer bag at Wal-Mart. I was offered no apology and a manager never came by. for a 40 dollar total bill I expected a lot more from this place. I will never return.

2 Thank Joey B