El Rancho Hotel & Motel
$94
Hampton.com
$81
Hotelpower.com
All reviewsmovie starsjohn wayneold westronald reagangift shopback in the daylucille ballfun place to staypresidential suitehistoric placepiece of historymarx brotherslots of historymovie memorabilialike stepping back in timebygone erasmall bathroom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stopped in here hoping for some good history: Hollywood stars, cowboy stars especially and the whole Rt. 66 vibe. The lobby had the photos of the stars and the set up was quite nice, but that was the only attraction. I walked around the lobby a little and then visited the gift shop with lots of local native stuff. I just bought some postcards.

The rooms are small and expensive, about 100$ for the average room. The check in staff were pretty nonchalant and not that friendly. The electricity did not work fully and the air vent fan had a funny sound the whole night. It seemed that the management let the electric issue go to waste. The room was OK, and at least I got some sleep.

There was a bar on the premises, but it turned dangerous later in the night because some of the local natives got into drinking and there was almost a fight brewing between them. I had to leave that place quick. I took a glance into the kitchen area of the restaurant and it looked disgusting. I did not eat there and I was warned by one of the guests to not eat there. I also heard that the parking lot had some crime issues, so I had to keep an eye on my truck every time I left my room.

The wifi only works in the lobby, but I didn't use it since I didn't enjoy my stay there.

The lobby holds the fantastic history, but the El Rancho is dying.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Three of us stayed at this hotel in 2 rooms for 1 night. We stayed here because we wanted to try something different than to go to another Hilton or Holiday Inn, this hotel was old had some history and nostalgia, so we gave it a try, not expecting much from our room. We were surprised by the size of the room(Tyrone Powers) and found the room clean and better than expected, was it as good as a Hilton or Holiday Inn, the answer is no, the beds, furnishing and amenities were not as good. The Hotel did have a bar, restaurant and then there is the beautiful lobby that everyone enjoyed taking pictures of in addition to just sitting down, talking or relaxing. If you are like us wanting to try something different sometimes, nostalgic, historic and not expensive this is good to try, if the room is your priority, the Hilton's and Holiday Inn's will be a better choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel is living from it's history. But the Hollywood stars are gone and the flair can still be felt. Clean rooms, the lobby has a good ambience and is the only place where you find WIFI. The food is really not good and the service is definitely below standard.

Room Tip: An old hotel with History
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna G
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Spent a night here and will be back for a longer stay! Very clean room and very comfortable bed. We had a little efficiency kitchen that led out to the back pool. Being off season the pool was closed but the ambiance of the place was that is was once THE place to stay. Maybe the only place to stay. A little more worn over the years, I think it is still grand. The front desk staff and bar servers were very congenial. The place is a beautiful throwback to a past era - Hollywood stars and glamour. Who knows what went on there?! It is a piece of history.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel is such an historic place. The lobby is gorgeous with a double curved staircase and dark woodwork everywhere. A massive fireplace faces you as you enter. On the second floor are pictures of all the movies stars that stayed at the hotel while making movies in the 40's and 50's in the surrounding area. Our room was small but that is what you would expect from a old hotel. We just loved the bar with all the dollar bills hanging up. We added ours, "Living The Dream" to the others. The bartender, Tina took great care of us and was a great ambassador for the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple