“If you are driving through--stop--I wouldn't plan a destination trip here.”

Old Fort Sumner Museum
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Average tourist trap museum. So many different stories and legends about Billy the Kid, if you believe he is buried here--it is a good place to stop. The museum has old relics and you can walk right over to the grave. It's all a bit dilapidated and the guy working wasn't that friendly. If you are romanced by the history of "the old west" and Billy the Kid, probably a good place to stop, but I wouldn't recommend making it your final destination...makes a good pit stop--they have a nice restroom.

2  Thank Peytonsgirl

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Would have like to have seen more stuff related to the history of Fort Sumner not just Billy the Kid and a bunch of "old stuff". Not much history and just disappointing. Went and saw the grave site of Billy the Kid, so we can say "Been there, done that", but just not what we expected.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I liked the relics in the museum reflecting the old fort, takes the visitor back to a different time in American History. Nearby is whats left on the foundations of the Old Fort. I disliked the fact that there wasn't more on the Forts history.

2  Thank 1Dattripper
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The main reason to drive here is to visit the grave of Billy the Kid, alias Henry McCarty. Did he gun down 21 men? No but lets not shatter ALL the western myths. The Kid for sure shot 4 men maybe a few more. Probably he was larger than life and probbly was a ladies man. He was done in in the dark by a shooter he didnt see. He is buried in Ft. Sumner, NM.
It is something to see the precautions taken to keep the gravestone from being stolen (again). The smallest one is held down by an iron bracket, the largest one is in an iron cage. The cage would make a passable jail.
I enjoyed my visit even without seeing the nearby museum. For those who seek out the infamous in less than likely places, Billy the Kids grave is a worth while stop. For the "have to have action" crowd this probably won't do.

2  Thank Jim B
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Making our way back to Fla. on a two week trip through the southwest, saw the signs for Billy the Kid's gravesite and decide to make this our last sightseeing stop of the trip. So glad we did! Being raised a cowboy on cattle and horse ranches I have a deep interest in the Old West The museum is small but houses a large amount of western and native artifacts and many photos and authentic documents (newspapers, official docs and personal letters), a few oddities as well. It's well worth the $4.00 admission (entrance to the graveyard is free). Had about an hour chat with Justin Ingram, co-curator, a real down to earth kinda guy who made me feel right at home. I was very proud to have paid my respects at the gravesite of William Bonney a true icon of the American West!

2  Thank The_Chuk