“More than just Billy!”

Billy the Kid Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: A trip thru the New Mexico past during the 1800's and early 1900's Summer Hours May 15th thru October 1st Open daily 8:30 A.M. -5:00 P.M. NO MUSEUM TOURS AFTER 4:30 Winter hours Oct 2nd thru May 14th open Monday thru Saturday 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. No museum tours after 4:30 P.M. CLOSED ON SUNDAYS DURING WINTER HOURS Museum Is open on Sunday during Summer hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Victoria, Canada
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“More than just Billy!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was quite surprised with this museum. I fully expected the run-of-the-mill tourist trap and what I found was quite amazing. Not only did they have reams of stuff on (of course) Billy the Kid, but rooms and rooms and ROOMS full of antiques & memorabilia. Everything from antique guns to kitchen implements to buggies to old cars ... every room was a surprise. Lots of cowboy stuff but lots of other stuff that is interesting to all kinds of people. The entrance fee ($5) is well worth it and you can certainly spend a lot of time looking at all the stuff. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Linda H

Williamsburg, Virginia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Billy the kid Museum”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I visited Ft. Sumner, New Mexico last year. Billy The Kid Museum is located on the main road in Fort Sumner as Ft, Sumner is a small town. The museum is full of newspaper clipping, artifacts etc. on Billy the Kid.After visiting the museum , we drove to Billy the Kids grave, there was no fee for visiting the grave but a fee for visiting the museum in town.The grave is surrounded by a metal fence and there are a few other graves near Billy the Kids grave that completes the grave site. Close by is an old calvary fort where Billy the Kid was shot and killed by Sheriff Pat Garrett.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank 1Dattripper
Niceville, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Thanks Justin”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Making our way back to Fla. on a two week trip through the southwest, saw the signs for Billy the Kid's gravesite and decide to make this our last sightseeing stop of the trip. So glad we did! Being raised a cowboy on cattle and horse ranches I have a deep interest in the Old West The museum is small but houses a large amount of western and native artifacts and many photos and authentic documents (newspapers, official docs and personal letters), a few oddities as well. It's well worth the $4.00 admission (entrance to the graveyard is free). Had about an hour chat with Justin Ingram, co-curator, a real down to earth kinda guy who made me feel right at home. I was very proud to have paid my respects at the gravesite of William Bonney a true icon of the American West!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank The_Chuk
Coweta, Oklahoma
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“not enough time”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

we didnt have enough time to go through the museum but from what i could see there was alot of info.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank janice p
Homer, Louisiana, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Billy the Kid”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went four times pass this graveyard and I was determined to visit it. We didn't make it in time to view the museum and wasn't sure if we could view the grave sights so I was almost close to Billy the Kid and that was good enough for me!!!! One of the greatest attractions to try to see if you are on your way to California!!

Visited August 2012