“Salmon Ruins and Chaco Canyon Visit”
Review of Salmon Ruins

Salmon Ruins
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Farmington
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Check out the other reviews for an excellent and accurate summary of Salmon Ruins, which I found worthwhile, interesting and served to whet my appetite for the "Journey Into the Past" tour of Chaco Canyon that we booked for the next day. Being the week of Spring Break I found it surprising that there were tour dates available. I figured that this this was an optimal time to visit and avoid the high desert heat of summer. Tori, a resident archeologist, was our guide and we made a great day of it. She answered questions with ease, shared her own professional takes on prevailing theories, and expanded on my tentative understandings of the history of the area. Tori has a great sense of humor, is very knowledgable and, at the same time, follows your interests. I wholly recommend a tour with the company and Tori to enrich the experience.

2  Thank Azahar62

Reviewed March 26, 2014

The ruins are spectacular, the museum is wonderful, the staff are just amazing, so friendly and welcoming and informative. DO NOT MISS booking a tour with them of Chaco or Dinetah, see the SR website and Into the Past tours, this is an unforgettable treat.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Excellent small museum. There are some very good small exhibits inside. Then we walked thru replica's of various types of native shelters and other things. The real surprise of this place is when you go to the ruins that it is named for... there are extensive ruins down the hill (you can drive down), many rooms and kiva's that have been excavated, thought to be the same tribes as from Chaco.... SUPER interesting!! And the museum has a great guidebook to go with your walk through the ruins to explain things too. Great little shop with native jewelry, and some very nice artsy tshirts.
Highly recommend this stop, as you would never expect what lays hidden in back of the museum down the hill!! Definitely worth it. I think the fee was only a couple of dollars too.

1  Thank loverainsky
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Don’t miss this gem of a place! The museum is small but very well maintained and informative and the ruins are well kept (sounds like an oxymoron doesn’t it?). We had just returned from a half day trip to Chaco over some pretty rough roads and I have to say that if I had to chose between the two sites Salmon Ruins would win. Be sure to include it in your travel plans.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you are remotely into archaeology this is a must see. The museum is full of interesting pieces. Outside not only has the ruins, but also a slice from frontier history. The ruins are beautiful and the guide book is one of the best I've ever come across. The staff are very knowledgeable and very helpful. The gift shop has lots of great books. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.