“Crowded at Lunch, For a Good Reason”

Mikasa Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #6 of 128 Restaurants in Farmington
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Crowded at Lunch, For a Good Reason”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I and a colleague had lunch here Wednesday and I was surprised at how many people were dining. It's advertised as a sushi purveyor and I don't generally think of Farmington as a sushi kind of place. Our rolls were fresh and interesting as was the Shanghai noodles. Very good tea as well. Service was a bit over-attentive, but not obnoxiously so. We'd both go again.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank wolverine87144

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Best in Farmington........don't think so”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Not many choices in Farmington, so by default this a Top Ten restaurant. Been there 3 times, tried different things on each visit. Sushi is mediocre, noodle dishes better.
Much better asian at Thai place in town. Obviously not many sophisticated diners in town, which explains the ratings.

• Visited October 2011
“The Best”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I'm not a big fan of this type of food, so I was kinda iffy on trying it but was very pleased that I did. They are amazing!!!!! and the waitress was really friendly to I will recommend it to anyone..

Farmington, New Mexico
“Nice little addition to Farmington”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I love sushi and the only place to get it around the four corners was up in Durango. Both times my boyfriend and I have been here, we are pleased with the service and food. Sushi is an iffy choice in the landlocked areas, but it always tastes as good as sushi in California at Mikasa.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank PartTimeGypsy
Phoenix
“Sushi In Farmington, NM - Who da thunk It?”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I'm a regular visitor to Farmington, NM on business. Restaurants come and go in this town and over the last year or so, the economy has taken its toll on restaurant choices. I love sushi but thought that wasn't going to be a choice ever in this Northwest New Mexico town until this last trip. I saw this place named MIkasa while driving down Main St and then looked them up on the net. It said Japanese, Asian, and......Sushi. I talked with a client I was taking to dinner that night about restaurants and mentioned Mikasa. He said he hadn't been there but had wanted to try it.

The restaurant is not fancy but airy, light, and has a fresh clean feel to it. It has a sushi bar and a lot of booths arranged around the windowed walls. Just looking at the menu told me this probably was going to be good as the pictures of the food, especially the sushi & rolls showed that they knew presentation. The sushi bar had Japanese chefs and all the service staff seemed to be Asian. My customer chose a Chinese dish and I had a Tiger Roll, miso soup, and 2 different kinds of sashimi (yellow tail & salmon). The food was excellent and, in fact, the roll & sashimi was as good as I've had. I was pleasantly surprised.

The down side is no liquor license so you only have water, tea (iced or green), and sodas. You can't bring in anything either. Don't know if they are going to remedy this but it didn't seem to stop the place from being packed with customers at 6:30pm on a Wednesday night. The waitress we had was very attentive and seemed actually dismayed that I wouldn't let her refill my iced tea glass until it was almost empty.

Prices were about normal for the Asian dishes as well as the sushi bar selections although I could see some locals saying it was expensive.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you need your Japanese fix.

• Visited October 2011