Review Highlights
Neat side-trip

Made a stop here in September 2020 after coming back from Durango. Area is a bit remote but was... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
jasiek_c137
Salt Lake City, Utah
Beautiful!

I’d recommend to go early before noon to take advantage of the sun light. As with any hike check... read more

Reviewed November 24, 2020
ARaz82
Brooklyn, New York
via mobile

All reviews parking area rock formations eggs bisti badlands parking lot gravel road gps coordinates navajo tours out of this world petrified trees common sense wings turned around sun protection off the beaten track landscape compass
Selected filters
Reviewed October 24, 2014

Hiking Bisti has been on our list for years. I finally organized a western trip that worked in a stay in near by Farmington. The badlands are easily reached-clearly marked state rd with a well signed turn off. We spent a full day-beautiful photos-very different sets of rock formations. We have hiked the coyote buttes (vermillion cliffs), Arches, Zion etc and consider this very worthwhile. This area is a wilderness area-no marked hiking trails-so we went with a guide-Jim Caffrey-High Desert Photo. I will give Jim his personal due in another review-but briefly, he was great-made the day.

Date of experience: September 2014
4  Thank mpm0024
Reviewed September 23, 2014

My husband and I were the only visitors the day we went. Beautiful sunshiny day. the sand formations were like something out of a movie set. certainly worth the trip!

Date of experience: May 2014
2  Thank modelmeemaw
Reviewed September 9, 2014

I spent three days hiking and exploring Bisit (stayed in Farmington at night though one can camp on site). The entire time there was never more than three cars total at the "trailhead" and I only came across other people while out hiking once and they were at a distance. This is the type of location where a little bit of research is recommended. Through significant internet research I was able to locate GPS coordinates of some of the prime areas I wanted to be sure not to miss. It is easy to miss things, there is no defined path or trail and there are a lot of formations so what you are looking for might be close but not visable and easy to miss if you don't have GPS coordinates. A couple of general rules... while almost anyone can reach this location with a normal passenger car this is still a remote location. You will not have cell service and you can't count on help if you have a problem. You also obviously can't count on a "app" in terms of GPS (again no cell service) so satelite GPS is helpful. There are descriptions of routes you can find online that will help greatly if you don't have or don't want to rely on GPS. Have plenty of water and a headlight or at a minimum flashlight if you plan to be out for sun rise/set and then need to return to your car. There are "ditches/washes" and while I doubt a fall would be fatal you don't want to stumble and sustain an injury in the dark. Be respectful of the area and realize you can damage formations. Climbing/standing/sitting on anything that looks fragile is a bad idea - please preserve the experience for those that will follow. There are no facilities or amenities. You will need to use "leave no trace" practices and pack out any trash. I highly recommend a sunrise or sunset visit as the colors will be much more dramatic. Beyond the potentially hot/harsh conditions of mid-day the other issue is photographs during this time of day aren't going to capture the beauty of the area. If you are here for photography it will be interesting at any point but true high quality photographs worthy of framing are going to be produced in the hour prior to and after sunrise/set unless you get lucky and get some extreme weather that is interesting. That being said - extreme weather can also mean extreme road conditions. I didn't experience that but according to the research I did you do not want to be driving on these roads if they are not dry regardless of the type of vehicle you have. There are many other badland sites besides Bisti in the area. I have researched many but still haven't visited wanting my first trip to be a more extensive investigation of Bisti specifically.

Date of experience: July 2014
12  Thank Jason C
Reviewed September 2, 2014

This is well worth the trip off the beaten path. But, don't expect the formations seen on some of the photos. They are there, but whether or not you walk near them is another matter. I would liken the formations at this end as smaller versions in the Arches National Park.

I would suggest that if you are driving a car, do not attempt the drive along these unpaved roads, especially if inclement weather. No problems in dry weather.

There are two entrances to the park area, one off of 331 (the Bisti entrance) and the other off of 550, the Da-Na-Zin entrance. We entered via the 550 entrance. The Da Na Zin trail head is easy to find because of the parking area. But, the trail can be difficult to follow. There are some areas with small caches/columns of rocks, but not all the time. Be aware of your land marks, (if you don't have a GPS). The walk is at least a half mile before you get to the any areas of interest. You are truly on your own out here.

Date of experience: August 2014
6  Thank scubanutty
Reviewed September 1, 2014

We saw a brochure for Farmington, NM that included a fantastic photo of two rock structures. We were eager to see them and headed for Bisti Badlands. But as we drove down route 5 we did not notice many photographic moment as the travel guide mentioned. So we drove 12 miles south to the actual park. We did not think it was any better in the park itself than the structures along the road. They were interesting, but we never found the ones in the travel book and we still liked Arches best.

Date of experience: August 2014