“new hotel, archaic customer service”

TownePlace Suites Farmington
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Farmington
Saint Clair, Michigan
“new hotel, archaic customer service”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is an extended stay hotel. Its new, so i wasn't surprised that it cost a quite a bit more than surrounding hotels. I was willing to pay more because it was right where i wanted to stay. For the price i was expecting more. The rooms are very small. Ive stayed at MainStay suites for half the price and had much more room. If you don't need a small fridge, a microwave, dishwasher, and cooktop then stay at a regular hotel for less money. Even worse, the area taken up by the small kitchen area took away room from the sleeping area. They added a kitchen area and crammed it into the space of a regular hotel room. Housekeeping service was dismal. I returned one day to find old coffee cups lying around. I left one day at noon and returned late to find the room not cleaned at all! When i called to complain the front desk staff told me the housekeepers "left at noon" and if i wanted housekeeping that i should have notified the front desk. Don't wast your money here. Its worth about $60/night. The hotel manager offered me a $25 credit for the housekeeping "miscommunication". I told her that wasn't worth the time and energy it took me to argue with her and the front desk manager.

Room Tip: choose a lower floor that you can take the stairs. There is only one SLOW elevator servicing 4 floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Leighann W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Southern Cal
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our stay here was the perfect capper to a wonderful day roadtripping through Monument Valley and Four Corners. The staff was friendly, the room was impeccably clean and surprisingly spacious (we have smaller kids, so the pullout sofabed and queen bed worked more than adequately). Even the typically blah complimentary breakfast was fairly top-notch.

On top of that, with 20-plus years of Marriott hotel stays under my belt, with requisite Marriott Rewards membership in tow, this was the very first property to fulfill and acknowledge our "extra towels" and "local newspaper" member-profile requests. Yeah, it's the small things at times.

Location worked well, with the Animas Valley Mall situated within a short walk's distance.

All in all, highly recommended for a family looking at Farmington as a launch or in-between point in the Four Corners area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DaddyVegas
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We along with family and friends were in town for two family events, one of which was held at the hotel. Everyone was very pleased with their accommodations and the staff were very friendly. We were able to use the breakfast area on the spur of the moment for a get together Friday evening which was very appreciated. The family event held on Sunday was catered by the hotel - reasonable prices, more than enough food for everyone and again the staff was friendly and helpful. Would not hesitate to stay there again!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patricia A
Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was surprising for a Marriott. The staff was welcoming and helpful. I have stayed a a lot of Marriotts and this is the 1st one that honored all my preferred member requested without me asking. Awesome hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Cheryl_Josh
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife, two daughters, and I stayed here after driving 820 miles from Dallas. We arrived around 6:00 PM and our room was ready exactly as reserved. We had a king bed and sofa bed for our 7 and 9 year old. The room was a little small, but very nice. We had a great dinner right across the parking lot at the Outback Steakhouse before crashing for the night. Breakfast was perfect and we hit the road around 9:00 AM the next day. This is a great hotel, especially for such an isolated location!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TxSuperman08
ALBUQUERQUE
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Once again it was a great stay for me and my daughter and two of her friends. My daughter had her dance recital friday night and since we live about 85 miles away we rented a two bedroom suite and had a slumber party after the show. The bedrooms are a little small, but we still had ample room with a living room and kitchen area. Perfect for a game of charades and pizza. Breakfast the next morning was ample and hot. It's my favorite hotel in Farmington.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank deutschediva65
Southwest US
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed here one night on business in early June. I have family in the area but decided last minute to find a hotel and dropped off a co-worker at the TownePlace Suites which is the only hotel near Farmington's shopping and restaurant district other than an older Super 8. I did not have a reservation and for some reason, no decent hotel in town had any vacancy including the TownePlace Suites. After being informed that no rooms were available, I was using the free wi-fi in the lobby to search my options. After 20 minutes one of the front desk clerks walked over and notified me that a room had just opened up. I appreciated the attentiveness and took the room.

Out of convenience more than anything else, my co-worker and I ate at the Outback Steakhouse located right in front of the hotel and we were surprised to see such a large crowd on a Wednesday night in a small town.

The following is a summary of the highs and lows of this hotel:

Highs -

* Extremely comfortable bed - I slept like a baby which is unusual for me on the road.
* Very clean - I've come to expect this from Marriott properties and this place was no exception.
* Newer property - It is nice to stay at a place that isn't worn down and in need of rennovation. While my king room wasn't a suite, it had a full kitchenette complete w/ dishes and silverware which would have come in handy for a longer stay. The granite countertops in the bathroom and kitchenette were beautiful.

Lows -

* Front door access - I was surprised that this place had a single-width, swing-open front door instead of the double-width, slide-open door that is normally present at this type of hotel. This made entering the hotel very akward while carrying luggage.

* Parking - there is ample parking, but it is located down a slight hill right behind the hotel (could be a bit of a hike for some. The few parking spots in front stayed fairly full.

I would rate the breakfast as slightly better than average for this class of hotel with the usual fare and decent scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy.

To summarize, the "lows" above are minor annoyances and should not scare you away. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business