“Comfortable” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Espanola
Ga
“Comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

I found this hotel clean and comfortable. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and courtious. The bed was good. It was noisy in the morning hrs. Lots of construction workers and bikers.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank smarks1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

Avoid this place. We were weary from travelling and did not want to check out the other hotels in Española. After all, Comfort Inn is a name that is generally associated with good standards. Not this one. When we asked for a room, the receptionist said she had only one left. It was a Saturday evening and Española was pretty much packed with tourists. We asked if the room would be quiet. The receptionist said "yes, it will be a quiet room". So we took it. The room was relatively clean, but it had a strange smell in it. Opening the window, which gives out on a 20 foot high wooden fence adorned with torn black tarpaulins (talk about a room with a view), helped a bit. Things started to get really bad at night. The room was adjacent to the laundry room. All night long washing machines and tumble driers were doing their job. The reception was close by. The night receptionist (not the one that checked us in) had her TV on all night, there were phone calls coming in and people were ringing the night bell at the hotel front door. Perhaps we should have realized this when we checked in, but we obviously depended too much on the receptionist's promise of a quiet room. The next morning I politely told the lady that checked us out about our disappointment. She rudely replied that they never sold this room as a quiet one, and that they never do their laundry at night. I told her my experience was otherwise, but she denied it. Basically she was telling me I was a liar and had no grounds to complain. This lady turned out to be Helen Morfin, the general manager of this hotel. Go figure. When we left she said: "Have a safe trip", looking at us as if she wanted us to drive off the highest cliff in the county. So, when you are in Española, check out one of the tribe operated casino's. They are going to be slightly more expensive than the Comfort Inn, but at least you will get a decent night's sleep and better service.

• Liked — Only positive: it is conveniently located between Santa Fe and Taos, but so are numerous other hotels
  • Disliked — Rudeness of management, smelly room, lots of noise. Avoid this den!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank USATravellerBelgium

Travelers are raving about these Espanola hotels

Flagstaff, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed here while passing through the area. This has to be the poorest Comfort Inn we've stayed at. The hallways were dirty, but the room was decent. The continental breakfast was ordinary. We probably won't stay here again, although there doesn't appear to be much choice in Espanola.

• Liked — A room was available
  • Disliked — Location and overall cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2006

I arrived at the hotel after 9:30 pm. Because I was tired from travelling, I dismissed the dirty stairway and second floor hallway . But when I opened the door to my room a huge stain on the red carpet greeted me. The light near the door had no globe over the bare bulb, there were other exposed wires hanging out of the ceiling in the middle of the room. The bathroom had been used for a pet cage and the back of the door had been scratched up about 12" from the floor and never repaired. I went swimming in the pool and discovered a piece of romex jutting from the socket where the underwater light was supposed to be. I tried the hot tub and the chlorine level was so high I could hardly get out before I got sick. I went to the receptionist who was talking with some very scarry looking people at the desk and I told her all the problems. She offered to give me another room, but I told her they all probably had the same problems and I would stay where I was. I would have left right then, but I had never been to this town before and it was dark and I was travelling by myself.
I went to my room and wrote a letter to the mangager which I delivered to the front desk the next morning.
The list of problems goes on even from here including a very sparse breakfast the next morning. I left before 9am and found another room, at a much nicer place. I can't believe they were going to charge me $57.60 per night for this dump! If you want to know where I stayed look up my other review for the Inn at the Delta also in Espanola, New Mexico.

• Liked — The exit
  • Disliked — The room was in disrepair
  • Tips/Secrets — Book elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank JeannetteAK
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2005

We have stayed at many Comfort Inn locations since we belong to Choice Hotels, but this one was very below our expectations. We booked through the 800 number for Comfort Inn and requested non-smoking. We thought we were all set since we had just stayed at two other Comfort Inns in Sante Fe and Albuquerque with no problems.

First there is "no" elevator and we were on the 2nd floor. Not a big thing but when you come to expect one, this should be brought to your attention when booking your stay. The light on my side of the bed was unplugged because one of plug wires was missing.

My husband fell asleep right away since he was not feeling well. I sat and watched tv on the end of the bed but couldn't help noticing the musty smell and thought it was because the place was older. I used the bathroom to find that there were cigarette burns on the bathtub. I immediately went to the door to find we were in a smoking room. Then I noticed all the cigarette burns on the carpet and the window was wide open which could of helped hide some of the smoke smell.

Not wanting to wake my husband I endured until morning, but was very upset since this room cost us more than are other two stays, which were beautiful rooms. Upon checkout, we told the clerk of our being placed in a smoking room. They were very courteous and gave us a partial refund. They said they too often receive from the central booking office various innaccurate requests, which I have a difficult time believing. They told us they did not have any non-smoking rooms available that night to switch us to anyway. I don't know who was wrong but our confirmation does state non-smoking very clearly.

I also want to mention to those of you who do not care for the smell of smoke that the smoking rooms are across the hall from the non-smoking rooms. This basically means that you will be walking down a hall with smoke smell regardless if your room is non-smoking. Discovered this when I went to get ice at the end of a hallway on the first floor.

Since this is less then 20 minutes from Sante Fe, you might want to consider staying there or choose another place to stay. Check your room carefully upon arrival before paying and save yourself a headache, especially if you arrive late like us.

I would like to stress again this motel doesn't meet the standards that we come to expect from Comfort Inn's.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2005

I was very disappointed with this property. The pool area was not clean, the pool water murky, the hot tub was out of order. The room furniture was old, run down, the mattress tearing apart on edges, the room was not particularly clean. I was also disturbed by a group of local youngsters who chose this place for their Friday night party. Above all it was not cheap.

5 Thank Slo-Lju
Elk Grove village, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2004

6/13- Comfort Inn- Espanola, N.M.- The pool was wonderfully warm but the hot tub was not working. The air conditioning was noisy so it was hard to sleep.

5 Thank LynnetteB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Espanola
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Inn of the Governors
#11 of 60 in Santa Fe
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,500 reviews
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!